Fixing Paint chips

glittle75

Established Member
No thanks, That cheap dupli color crap is just that, crap.
Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems
is all you need, for $60 they send you a good amount of color-code matched paint, applicators, blending solution and little brushes with sponge tips about the size of a ball point pen's ball.
Definitly a little more spendy, but worth it. You get alot of paint and solution for that price.

For chips and such, I fill it with the paint, then let it dry. Then put more paint on top and use the blending solution as-per dr. color chip instructions. Then wet sand starting with 1000, then 2000, then 3000. Then cut and polish with the rest of the paint.
It will not look totally gone, but you would have to have your head 6 inches away to see it.

Tickle

Established Member
For chips and such, I fill it with the paint, then let it dry. Then put more paint on top and use the blending solution as-per dr. color chip instructions. Then wet sand starting with 1000, then 2000, then 3000. Then cut and polish with the rest of the paint.
It will not look totally gone, but you would have to have your head 6 inches away to see it.

This is the way to go. Just be patient and build up a blob/bump of paint to make sure you fill the chip. It has always taken me a couple of days to build up before I wet sand.

MysticRob

Established Member
Go here: Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Touchup Paint Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup | 888-710-5192

Get both a bottle of color coded touch-up and another of clear coat, then depending on how deep the chips are, carefully apply 1 or 2 dabs of color a few minutes apart, then the clear coat according to their excellent directions.

If you're careful you can get it all applied pretty flush to the rest of the surrounding area. If not, just carefully sand it down a bit with 2000 grit then polish.

I purchased the G6 Mystichrome in both a 2oz touch up bottle for chips (with clear coat), and a rattle can (again with clear coat) for some key marks above the rear fender when a PO must've pissed someone off. Both the touchup clear coat AND the rattle can clear coat are great -- excellent nozzles on the rattle cans too. AutomotiveTouchup absolutely nailed the color match, and this was obviously on a very difficult color to match.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Good to know. I ordered some paint and clear coat from them. Just waiting to receive it so I can try it out and hopefully get it to match perfectly.

Go here: Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Touchup Paint Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup | 888-710-5192

Get both a bottle of color coded touch-up and another of clear coat, then depending on how deep the chips are, carefully apply 1 or 2 dabs of color a few minutes apart, then the clear coat according to their excellent directions.

If you're careful you can get it all applied pretty flush to the rest of the surrounding area. If not, just carefully sand it down a bit with 2000 grit then polish.

I purchased the G6 Mystichrome in both a 2oz touch up bottle for chips (with clear coat), and a rattle can (again with clear coat) for some key marks above the rear fender when a PO must've pissed someone off. Both the touchup clear coat AND the rattle can clear coat are great -- excellent nozzles on the rattle cans too. AutomotiveTouchup absolutely nailed the color match, and this was obviously on a very difficult color to match.

Users who are viewing this thread