Fix for 1st to 2nd grind when cold

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by cdh027
Michael, what brand friction modifier did you use ? Is there one specifically for use with the Syncromesh fluid or our trans ?

I used Motorcraft friction modifier in mike's car. This combination makes a huge difference in the way the car shifts. One of my favorite mods.

Rick

cdh027

Established Member
Thanks for the info Rick. Did you also underfill it as others have stated ?

CaptNemo

Evil Genius
Established Member
BTW,
Tech Fact:
If the engine is running and the clutch is engaged, the input shaft is turning as the counter or cluster gear and all of the forward gears on the main shaft are turning as well. Gear selection is a function of selective splining (by use of the synchronisers ) of the gears to the main shaft.

So, Yes, the trans does warm up and generate heat while idleing from a cold start. Since it doesn't have combustion heat to bring it to operating temp, it takes a little longer that the engine.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by AmazonRacing
I used Motorcraft friction modifier in mike's car. This combination makes a huge difference in the way the car shifts. One of my favorite mods.

Rick

How much should we put in?

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
Chicago IL IN US41 November 30 2003 COBRAS

I have the same issue... and of course only happens under 45 degrees. Pisses me off... but it does go away as someone else said after about 10 miles of driving. I thought it was my synchros as had a similiar problem in my 93. Buddy works at ford, will ask what he recommends... since we all have it, maybe he has seen some and can give us directions.

PS US 41 Nov 30 2003 Cobra's come one, come all

Flatliner

Established Member
Adjusting clutch

Oh, I alomst forgot. As I travel I get bored... and I took my owners manual with, and made it bathroom reading, jk. Anyway the car has a self adjuster for the clutch, which I tried... and guess what it worked!! It did not solve the grind, but did help with bring the clutch point closer to floor...

1) Be out of gear, works with car running or off
2) Pull the clutch pedal up (towards you)
3) You are done!

You will notice that the catch point is lower to floor... let me know if you like.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Re: Adjusting clutch

Originally posted by Flatliner
Oh, I alomst forgot. As I travel I get bored... and I took my owners manual with, and made it bathroom reading, jk. Anyway the car has a self adjuster for the clutch, which I tried... and guess what it worked!! It did not solve the grind, but did help with bring the clutch point closer to floor...

1) Be out of gear, works with car running or off
2) Pull the clutch pedal up (towards you)
3) You are done!

You will notice that the catch point is lower to floor... let me know if you like.

Cannot get mine to ever adust this way. At all.

Any tips on getting under there and doing it by hand?

eod guy

Established Member
Re: Re: Adjusting clutch

Originally posted by caveman6666
Cannot get mine to ever adust this way. At all.

Any tips on getting under there and doing it by hand?

I’m too stout to get under there and adjust it by hand, and a why not fix it once and for all, install a quad. and firewall adjuster?

Mine is soooooo much better now, no more slop. And no more trying to lift the pedal which never worked for me either. Now hot or cold I can change gears as easy as changing my mind.

(Once again, thanks to Rick @ Amazon Racing)

Flatliner

Established Member
Chicago IL IN US41 November 30 2003 COBRAS

Too be honest I never used my hand... I used my foot. Car running... I put my foot underneath pedal and then lift it towards me. Then I push the clutch pedal all the way down and release once. I noticed immediate difference. I agree with the quadrant adjuster... but I remember in my 93, I was underneath tryin gto adjust all the time, always felt the clutch was never right no matter how I adjusted. At least I have peace of mind doing it this way.

Flatliner... the heartbeat stops here!

cdh027

Established Member
Pete, I'm Looking forward to hearing your results. If positive it will push me to get off my ass and get it done. :beer:

cdh027

Established Member
Eric, are you still running the factory fill with your quadrant & adjuster ? I will do the quadrant & adjuster if that's what it takes.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by cdh027
Pete, I'm Looking forward to hearing your results. If positive it will push me to get off my ass and get it done. :beer:

Yeah, I took my car out yesterday (50 degree Ambient) and it took awhile for the tranny to warm up...almost 10 miles on the freeway in 6th...When I finally got on some surface streets to test the shifting it was still a little nothchy(stock fluid still-won't put the GM Synchromesh in till this weekend)...Well I started driving aggressively (4K+ shifts) and lighting the tires between gears and you know what the tranny's synchros started to warm up a bit more and it was like butter between the gears 1-2, 2-3...These trannies just need to be shifted aggressively in order to properly warm up the synchros for smooth shifting...Regardless I'm sure from all the websites that I've visited the GM Synchromesh will make a huge difference in shifting...I'll post my results with the fluid on Saturday evening...Forwarned that the GM Synchromesh sells for ~$9+/qt... one GM dealership wanted to charge me $13+/qt...Anyway it does say on the back of the bottle that it is partially synthetic fluid....if it is good enough for the Corvette spec'd T56s then its good enough for mine.

-pete:coolman:

03DOHC

Established Member
Pete one of the quick oil change places has the gm synchromesh stuff from the pump. I don't remember which one though. You know those Oil Changers or Speedee Lube? Try calling around to them it's supposed to be cheaper than getting it from the dealer.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Pete one of the quick oil change places has the gm synchromesh stuff from the pump. I don't remember which one though. You know those Oil Changers or Speedee Lube? Try calling around to them it's supposed to be cheaper than getting it from the dealer.

Thanks Dan,

But I already purchased the GM Synchromesh on Wednesday...I did get it for a little over $9/qt...Its not too bad, at least I didnt pay the $13+/qt. that PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET wanted to charge me...I also bought a fluid pump to help the job go smoothly...I'd rather do it myself anyway...I just dont trust those "lube" people working on my car...Its a good excuse to bond some more with my car too...Thanks for the recommendation though..>Talk to you soon.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Well I changed my transfluid to GM Synchromesh w/o FORD Fluid Modifier...All I can say is the notchiness from 1-2 is way better...It isnt completely gone...But is seems to go in like butter more consistently and going into first from a stop has improved dramatically too...I measured the volume of the stock fluid and it was approximately 3.7+ quarts...I replaced approximately the same amount...Basically just made the car level (checked with leveler on door frame) and filled until the fluid started to drain out of filler hole...I do agree though with others, I think a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster are necessary to really dial in the clutch...Both are some of my next purchases...For those of you that have had some difficulty with a notchy tranny might want to consider this...Now time to go bang some gears!

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Got the GM Synchromesh, Motorcraft Additive, Quadrant & Adjuster yesterday. The shifting is much smoother which I attribute to the new tranny fluids, and the clutch release has more "launch action" from the new Quad/Adjuster.

Can't tell if the improvement will hold up in colder weather as it's been 60-ish lately.

eod guy

Established Member
Imperial Pose, you'll love it I have had mine in the 30s and it rocks. Prior to the mods it sucked in the 90s. Congrads!

Users who are viewing this thread