Fix for 1st to 2nd grind when cold

cdh027

Established Member
Does anyone know of an easy fix for the 1st to 2nd gear grind when the car is cold ? Has anyone tried different synthetic fluids with any success ? Also, I have read about K members helping our chassis. I have a convertible and it has a factory K member. I know the factory sub frame connectors are crap and I will be getting full lengths subs welded in this spring. I was just wondering if the factory K was good enough not to replace ?

eod guy

Established Member
I had the same problems, my fix was GM (I know :eek: )syncromesh and friction modifier.

cdh027

Established Member
Michael, what brand friction modifier did you use ? Is there one specifically for use with the Syncromesh fluid or our trans ?

eod guy

Established Member
I am not sure, I had it changed/added at Amazon Racing.
:(

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
If it bothers you that much, take it in for service. But if it only does it when cold, just let it warm up before you drive!

cdh027

Established Member
Bryan, I already had it to the dealer for this problem. As per usual they sent me on my way saying it's normal. That is why I'm checking with you guys to see if anyone found a fluid or some adjustment that might cure the problem.

03mineralg

Established Member
Yes i do also, i have not changed the trans fluid yet. Not sure wich red line fluid to use. One day i'll get it done!

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
mine grinds, and my 01 grinded enough to make me want to sell. The best fix I think is changing transmission fluid. I did mine during the great blackout of 2003. Not hard at all, you just need a special pump to reach on top of the trans. It fixed most of it, but it gets worse over time and needs to be fixed before it becomes a problem.

There is a lot of info on corral.net about this. That is where I found detailed instructions on how to do it, as well as a copy of a letter from tremec stating that it should be done.

cdh027

Established Member
You guys with the "let it warm up" are a frickin' trip. I have 1700 miles on her and she is in storage until spring. I drive it only on nice days and let it warm up in the driveway for 10-15 minutes after I pull it out of the garage and it still does it until I drive it for another 10 minutes or so. I don't know of any brand new car you must let warm up that long so the frickin' trans doesn't grind ????? :bash:

akaeric

Established Member
Maybe we all complain they will make recall and a fix. Take them in at least once and get mad when they tell you thing like thats the way it is.

Fastford

Established Member
You must be an idiot . How in the hell is warming the engine up going to fix a trans grind????? fruit loop:bash: :bash:

WARM UP THE FLUID IN THE TRANSMISSION DUMB ASSSSSSSS!!!! sorry you asked for it... :burn: :fm: :fm:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
cdh,

Think twice about changing your trans fluid. Do a search here, and you'll find variable results, and some guys find that if they get easier shifting they get slower shifts when pushing the car. Most guys who race are sticking with the stock fluid. Apparently there is an optimum amount of fluid "stickiness" to allow synchros to hook up best, which might be more than allows easy shifting at low temps.

Warming up the car while not moving will do nothing to warm up the trans. Only the input shaft will be turning in neutral, and it will never warm up. You can only warm up the trans by driving.

Check your clutch adjustment. A lot of guys have hard shifting because the clutch doesn't totally disengage.

Concerning K member, there are 2 approaches. The stock unit has a small brace across the back (just recently added to Mustangs) which benefits, in stiffnes, by being replaced by a good K member brace (like Maximum Motorsport). Replacing the entire K member is very major surgery, and is done by guys who want to either 1) lower front end weight (about 60 pounds with complete front suspension change), 2) get racing type geometry with coil over units, or 3) move center of gravity back, as replacement K members usually move front wheels forward about 3/4 inch. Car can benefit from this change, but it's really drastic, requiring all new suspension units and, usually, relocation of oil filter.

cdh027

Established Member
Hey Jason, I had to check your profile for your age. I was disappointed when I found out you were actually a year older than me. I won't throw any gay ****ing smilies at you, but what $35,000 to $40,000 car needs to warm up the engine OR TRANSMISSION FLUID TO RUN PROPERLY ????? Ford loves people like you.

cdh027

Established Member
BTW, Thanks for the info Richard. I will also try to lower the fluid level as the other Jason stated.

hmwave

Established Member
I was always informed that you should get moving as soon as you start the engine to get the oil slopping around.

Sitting still with a cold engine is supposed to cause much more engine wear. Not sure waiting for it to warm up is helping you long term.

Fastford

Established Member
Same piece of Shit I bought for $40K, its a ****ing ford not a BMW... You bought an over priced mustang like everyone else did. If you dont like it trade it or go to your ford dealer and bithc at them. If it grinds get it fixed. Warming it up is just a sugjestion!!!!! Some of you treat this car like it is some unreplaceable " I drive it only on nice days" car. Its A MUSTANG!!!!!!!!!! it not even worth $25K right now.

Please .. the smiles are for fun... I didnt achive everything I have in the FORD racing community for being a dumb ass. I worked hard to be this much of a dumb ass. I think It was my car that has been on the cover of every ford Magazine in the US, Not yours!!!! Dont be an ASSSSS take a verbal beating every once in a while.. Trust me I have accomplished more with a mustang then you will ever!!

Jason Cohen

cdh027

Established Member
Jason buddy, you need to get a grip on reality. I never called you an ass or a dumb asssssss (I forget is that how many s's you used when you called me one ?) I did not brag about what I have accomplished in the mustang community or how my car was on a magazine cover to someone asking for advice on a trans anomaly. BTW, would you be so quick to call someone an ass if it wasnt with your keyboard ?

Users who are viewing this thread