First track outing this season-went auto

qcksnake

Established Member
Pretty happy with car for first track outing this season.

I noticed the weather wasnt going to hold out for weekend racing and needed some data with the auto.

Cant say enough good things about Mooresville dragway and the track prep,especially considering the temps yesterday! (Thanks to everyone who helped me out yesterday)

Aaron Lail from trudynosports rolled down to take a look over the tune and make sure it matched what we seen on dyno, he had it spot on.

Heres the first auto pass with car:coolman::

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pX-IjWH8LrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and here is where it was when we left.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hsfc8F4Guwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Still have a lot of work to do,but I am happy so far.

setup is simple, I built motor
Stock crank,stock 03 cobra rods,manley stock bore pistons, I ported heads, stock used boss camshafts, boss intake.

The twin kit is from Motiva performance.(Thanks to DAVE for all the help!)

Right now the car has a dedenbear proglide i freshened up and made some modifications to make sure it didnt wipe out thrust bearing,and a Chance bolt together convertor,3.31 gear. She is around 3500lbs+

And because I know everyone is wrapped around the axle on the dyno numbers,

here is the sheet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-IjWH8LrE

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
nice build and passes. Kudos to you for putting the motor together and doing the heads yourself as well...very rare in this day and age.

32fountain

Established Member
Man, that thing flies. Very impressive. I lived in Mooresville just off Brawley School Road for 8 years. Great place to live. Your car is awesome!

qcksnake

Established Member
how is the fit and finish of this armageddon kit? what was ur 60' times?

The fit on the Armageddon kit is perfect. No Issues, no rattles, I like the wastegate placement and it controls boost perfectly. Also the Garretts are super nice on spool up,check out some of my manual passes on YouTube.

The rear gear isnt right at all, the car was pretty lazy. 1.33 60ft

toomnymods

Established Member
Damn 1.3 60' is movin.. I'd love to get this setup on my can and do a forged mmr promod sleeved motor. Only so much you can do though being the main income of a family.
Might take me 2-3 yrs to get it but eventually i'll get there :)

Stevem17500

Established Member
re

The fit on the Armageddon kit is perfect. No Issues, no rattles, I like the wastegate placement and it controls boost perfectly. Also the Garretts are super nice on spool up,check out some of my manual passes on YouTube.

The rear gear isnt right at all, the car was pretty lazy. 1.33 60ft

How's the tranny...can u give us full details on it...is it streetable...

qcksnake

Established Member
Stock block?
It is, I made some modifications to keep it alive
Damn 1.3 60' is movin.. I'd love to get this setup on my can and do a forged mmr promod sleeved motor. Only so much you can do though being the main income of a family.
Might take me 2-3 yrs to get it but eventually i'll get there :)

You could always call me. I have block issues figured out

How's the tranny...can u give us full details on it...is it streetable...

Its a dedenbear case with 1.8 straight cut gear, 10clutch high gear drum,aftermarket pump, solid input shaft.

But it drives and shifts fine. With this much power and that gear 80 down bypass isn't an issue. Convertor only foot brakes to 2500 rpm

BPatterson

Established Member
Nice!!! I love Mooresville! Been to that track a few times myself. My buddy's shop is in the business peak right beside it. Alvin at PCMforless.

nosscort

Established Member
nice build and passes. Kudos to you for putting the motor together and doing the heads yourself as well...very rare in this day and age.

Not sure why you think that? building these motors are not that hard.. It's not rocket science and with the right tools along with alldata or the work sheet manual it's easy.

that being said. op your car is hauling the mail !!

Bud

Established Member
But it drives and shifts fine. With this much power and that gear 80 down bypass isn't an issue. Convertor only foot brakes to 2500 rpm

If you hit a 1/4 track I'm curious what your converter slip% is if you don't mind sharing. I know stall/slip isn't everything but I'm new to the glide world and trying to figure out converter/gears is fun. My converter will flash to 3000 on the tbrake before boost starts building and I'm seeing around 9.5% slip at the 1/4. It lights off on the brake plenty fast so wondering if tightening it up would be worth anything.

All of that is at sea level, when the car is back home in Denver it only flashes to 2300 on the tbrake.

What tire are you on? You have some wicked mph at the 1/8th, if that continues on to the 1/4 the 3.31's may not be too bad?

qcksnake

Established Member
If you hit a 1/4 track I'm curious what your converter slip% is if you don't mind sharing. I know stall/slip isn't everything but I'm new to the glide world and trying to figure out converter/gears is fun. My converter will flash to 3000 on the tbrake before boost starts building and I'm seeing around 9.5% slip at the 1/4. It lights off on the brake plenty fast so wondering if tightening it up would be worth anything.

All of that is at sea level, when the car is back home in Denver it only flashes to 2300 on the tbrake.

What tire are you on? You have some wicked mph at the 1/8th, if that continues on to the 1/4 the 3.31's may not be too bad?

I'm on 28x10.5 stiff sidewalls. The mph will continue I'm sure. I do believe the 3.31 is too much gear. I'm swapping gears and going back. I still actually have a quite a bit more power on the table as well.

The slip was way up there. It will prob pick up 4-7 mph just in convertor. But from what I understand about the power glide the gear ratio effects convertor slip a lot, so if you gear car lower it will actually tighten up convertor so I'm thinking a gear will pick the car up a lot, if not then I'll address the convertor.

Believe it not I came up with 35%, so well see how well gear helps when I get some weather.

Most of the faster guys have around 5% down track just FYI.

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
I'm on 28x10.5 stiff sidewalls. The mph will continue I'm sure. I do believe the 3.31 is too much gear. I'm swapping gears and going back. I still actually have a quite a bit more power on the table as well.

The slip was way up there. It will prob pick up 4-7 mph just in convertor. But from what I understand about the power glide the gear ratio effects convertor slip a lot, so if you gear car lower it will actually tighten up convertor so I'm thinking a gear will pick the car up a lot, if not then I'll address the convertor.

Believe it not I came up with 35%, so well see how well gear helps when I get some weather.

Most of the faster guys have around 5% down track just FYI.

Yup, I've seen people chase their tail on glide cars with gears and converters as they have such a big impact on each other. As you said gearing the car lower should hopefully give you less slip. I have read about people swapping gears and getting almost the same et/mph, it just ends up at a different RPM from it's impact on the converter.

Was that 35% slip accounting for tire growth as well? I haven't calc'd mine out at the 1/8th but supposedly slip is way higher there than at the 1/4.

Your car hauls ass man, very impressive. Interested to see the results of your gear change and what you end up with if you throw some more power at it. You planning on hitting any NMRA events this year with the car?

Users who are viewing this thread