First Track Day musts

Heuristic

Established Member
I will be doing my first track day in a few months(Thunderhill). I was wondering what are some mosts/tips for someone going to run through there for a first time...

I use to have a closed faced helmet, but it's expired and I'm thinking of switching to an open faced helmet. I also plan to swap out the brake pads/throw in high temp brake fluid before I go.

Any other suggestions? any recommendations of pads/fluid? helmets?:banana:

Thanks in advanced.

Shaun@AED

Run Unleaded Race gas, or at least a 50/50 mix.
Pump 91 is volatile at high combustion temps. As cylinder temps increase the RVP of pump gas is low enough that detonation will occur where it normally would not in the same conditions with lower combustion/cylinder temps. Race gas is far more stable as temps increase.

It's hot as hell out here right now, so an open face helmet is a good idea.
I mounted a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver seat 'just in case', but it's not required for a street car.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
Biggest mistake most make (driving that is) is not braking hard enough. Most first timers brake just like they do on the street. If 1 is light and 9 is max pressure before antilock this is what a street stop looks like:
1.1.1.2.2.3.4.5.6.6.6.6.5.4.3.2.1. stop.

Track day:
5.6.7.8.9.9.9.7.5. GO.

Less time on the brake, more deliberate brake application and smooth off. That will help keep your brakes from overheating.

Second thing is not to go to hard into the corners with too much speed. Get to know the track. If they don't have apex cones find a veteran and have him walk you through the apex targets for each section. if you go a bit slower into the corner and ease on the throttle earlier out of the corner... you will be faster. It will not be as caotic and may even feel like you aren't going as fast, but you are! Sneaking up on the proper brake zone is important, and if you are going into each corner to hot (FAST) you are going to toast your tires. An intermediate driver can do multiple track days on a set of just Pzeros without tearing them up. If you overdrive, you can toast your tires in 1 day. .. or even a few sessions.

good luck and have fun!

ModBargains

Established Member
Other that what's posted above which are very important suggestions I would also make sure that YOU are comfortable and not just your car so bring a chair, bring LOTS of water, if it's going to be sunny and there's no shade maybe bring an umbrella or an EZ-UP if you have one to keep yourself cool. Track days are a lot of fun, I've been doing them for years now but you will get tired very quickly so make sure to rest up and not push yourself to the max everytime you go out, just have fun, that's the most important piece of advice I can give you :)

slick3

Established Member
First of all, you are going to have a blast!

- Dont feel like you need to be Mario Andretti first time out. I know that sounds cliche but as you get more comfortable throughout the day, you will want to push it harder and harder and you will begin to fatigue and lose focus (its natural). As someone said above, learning your braking zones and hitting your apex correctly can generate better lap times than over driving the car. I completely recommend you try to ride along with someone that can show you the line. It will save you and your car lots of unneeded stress. Drive the track at about 60% and work your way up from there as you feel more comfortable.

Take everything not bolted down out of your car, they become projectiles in the event of an accident and bringing an air pressure gauge is not a bad idea either..
Last suggestion, start saving for some new shoes because once you get bit by the bug, there is no going back! Enjoy!

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Pretty much everything has been said. I did my first one earlier this year. Take it easy and learn, or at least get somewhat familiar with the track. Trust your instructor and car. Trust me when I say, it's better than you'll need for quite a while. I flushed my brake fluid with Volvo fluid. Make sure you hydrate between sessions.

Heuristic

Established Member
First of all, you are going to have a blast!

- Dont feel like you need to be Mario Andretti first time out. I know that sounds cliche but as you get more comfortable throughout the day, you will want to push it harder and harder and you will begin to fatigue and lose focus (its natural). As someone said above, learning your braking zones and hitting your apex correctly can generate better lap times than over driving the car. I completely recommend you try to ride along with someone that can show you the line. It will save you and your car lots of unneeded stress. Drive the track at about 60% and work your way up from there as you feel more comfortable.

Take everything not bolted down out of your car, they become projectiles in the event of an accident and bringing an air pressure gauge is not a bad idea either..
Last suggestion, start saving for some new shoes because once you get bit by the bug, there is no going back! Enjoy!

Thanks. I will have the instructor in the car with me, so I plan on taking full advantage of their help.

I am going up to thunderhill which is about a 2 hour drive home. How bad am I going to regret that we aren't staying the night after all day of driving??

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Drink plenty of water/gatorade, and don't feel like you have to run in every single session if there are quite a few.

jande063

Established Member
Run Unleaded Race gas, or at least a 50/50 mix.
Pump 91 is volatile at high combustion temps. As cylinder temps increase the RVP of pump gas is low enough that detonation will occur where it normally would not in the same conditions with lower combustion/cylinder temps. Race gas is far more stable as temps increase.

It's hot as hell out here right now, so an open face helmet is a good idea.
I mounted a fire extinguisher within reach of the driver seat 'just in case', but it's not required for a street car.

You do not need to run race gas unless you have a significantly higher than stock compression ratio. A friend of mine has won the Vintage class of the Ultimate Track Car Challange at VIR for the last two years with his '67 Camaro body wrapped over the engine, transaxle, and suspension from an '04 Z06 Corvette, and he uses whatever fuel he finds in town. Also, I am pretty sure that Terry Fair used normal pump fuel in his TT3 dominating 2011 GT.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^ LOL

Yea don't listen to one of the top tuners in the nation with 5.0's.. He def doesn't know what's talking about ahaha :rolleyes:

OP: run race gas for safety. Shaun is right I've had it happen to myself

ford20

Established Member
^^^ LOL

Yea don't listen to one of the top tuners in the nation with 5.0's.. He def doesn't know what's talking about ahaha :rolleyes:

OP: run race gas for safety. Shaun is right I've had it happen to myself

There are plenty of people who don't run race gas and do 20 minute sessions without issue. Maybe it is the crappy CA gas y'all get or something.

I'm surprised no one mentioned to change out the factory pads.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
He had mentioned changing pads in his original post.. And yes it is crappy CA gas, and he's racing in CA at Thunderhill so yes he should run race gas lol.

Shaun@AED raced his car at that very track

arkford88

Going off this same topic, if I just have a 2013 GT Brembo car I better get an oil cooler and boss radiator before attending a track day correct? Could I get by without it on a stock tune and low ambient air temperatures?

slick3

Established Member
Going off this same topic, if I just have a 2013 GT Brembo car I better get an oil cooler and boss radiator before attending a track day correct? Could I get by without it on a stock tune and low ambient air temperatures?

Yes just keep and eye on your vitals. Assuming you have track apps?

Heuristic

Established Member
There are plenty of people who don't run race gas and do 20 minute sessions without issue. Maybe it is the crappy CA gas y'all get or something.

I'm surprised no one mentioned to change out the factory pads.

So I survived the track day and actually did really well. Was really impressed with the car, but at times you could really feel it's weight. I am quoting you, because i ran the stock pads and they did great, until I started to run out of them. LOL. Luckily for me it wasn't a big deal as I planned on replacing pads/rotors after the event, but this is what my rotors looked like afterwards.
RotorsAfterTrackDay.jpg

overall I took the advice you all gave me and it was a great day. I also lucked out and it was only 81*'s that day which is incredibly lucky for Thunderhill in the summer time.

Here's a pic from the day for good measures.
Thunderhill.jpg

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
with our cars weight, I couldn't even get away with the hawk 5.0 streets and brake ducts. I was able to do 2 20 min sessions, but I was taking the straights pretty easy and breaking hard and fast and then completely off in the brake zone. They just don't cut it. Next spring I will try Hawk DTC 60-70 and that should do it... or BBK if that doesn't.

Heuristic

Established Member
with our cars weight, I couldn't even get away with the hawk 5.0 streets and brake ducts. I was able to do 2 20 min sessions, but I was taking the straights pretty easy and breaking hard and fast and then completely off in the brake zone. They just don't cut it. Next spring I will try Hawk DTC 60-70 and that should do it... or BBK if that doesn't.

I have the track pack and I thought the brakes held up pretty good. I was going all out on the straights hitting and hard on the brakes in to corners.

Users who are viewing this thread