First time ever at the drag strip. How'd I do?

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
Hey guys.

I have a base 2012 with Brembos, 3:55 gears, and a 6 speed manual. The car is bone stock. I figured I'd go to the track for the first time after a rough day at work.

It was actually my first time ever at the track so admittedly I was a little nervous. I made it a goal to not get myself on YouTube for a foolish mistake. :lol1:

I didn't launch the car. Each run I did was essentially from idle..as I was learning the car and wasn't looking to win any awards. Didn't want to look like a fool being a rookie and all.

I made three passes with my best being a 13.2 at 112 mph. Worst a 13.7 at 111. My sixty foot was over 2 seconds each time....I'm sure with a launch I could be in the twelves...especially with the trap speed. Just wanted to take it easy and save the hard runs for a nice weekend morning.

On a side note, the car was incredible. The car really hooked well and just pulled like a freight train to the top of fourth. Driving on the street will never compare again. Especially with our crappy roads. :mj:

Just thought I'd share to get some thoughts and etc. Personally I think it's decent for a soft launch. I look forward to trying for twelves next time.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
I've never ran my car at the track, but it sounds good to me. I think you did the right thing by not letting your ego get in the way and getting yourself in trouble. Learn the car, learn the track, learn the launch. You'll do fine.

Beernuts

Established Member
My very first time at the track I ran a 13.2 @ 109 basically babying the car like you did. So I'd say you did just fine! :)

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
Appreciate it, guys. She has plenty more in 'er..just need to get more comfortable. Looks like most of my improvement would be in the ET rather than trap speed. These cars don't seem to go higher than 113 on average!

98ss88mm

Established Member
agreed. Really without a real tire, launching is going to be pointless for the most part. I mean yes you could run faster, but you arent going to ZOMG launch on the stock tires so its not a total loss. You are on the right track, just slip the clutch with some ~2500 ish RPM next time and enjoy :)

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Car was making some good power. Agree with slipping the clutch around 2500rpm. Should get the car moving out nicely.

Which track did you hit?

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
12.08 at 115 on drag radials. Only mods I have that would actually give me power is a ford procal.

I launching at 3700 and slipping the clutch very aggressively. I'm going to take the rpm's up higher on the launch. I know 11's are possible on my minimal mods

Last edited:

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
I went to Atco! Great group of people there. To the guys who asked..are you in the area?

On the procal, it seems to give a good bit of torque. 115 isnt out of the ordinary with that tune + radials.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Hey guys.

I have a base 2012 with Brembos, 3:55 gears, and a 6 speed manual. The car is bone stock. I figured I'd go to the track for the first time after a rough day at work.

It was actually my first time ever at the track so admittedly I was a little nervous. I made it a goal to not get myself on YouTube for a foolish mistake. :lol1:

I didn't launch the car. Each run I did was essentially from idle..as I was learning the car and wasn't looking to win any awards. Didn't want to look like a fool being a rookie and all.

I made three passes with my best being a 13.2 at 112 mph. Worst a 13.7 at 111. My sixty foot was over 2 seconds each time....I'm sure with a launch I could be in the twelves...especially with the trap speed. Just wanted to take it easy and save the hard runs for a nice weekend morning.

On a side note, the car was incredible. The car really hooked well and just pulled like a freight train to the top of fourth. Driving on the street will never compare again. Especially with our crappy roads. :mj:

Just thought I'd share to get some thoughts and etc. Personally I think it's decent for a soft launch. I look forward to trying for twelves next time.

I think you did great for the first time out. :beer:

SLOW5.OH

Established Member
I think thats a good time for the first time out also. I'm going to wait for drag radials before i take mine out to the strip.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
As long as you had fun, then you did good.

Best answer I've heard yet!

I'm in way north NJ so Atco is a haul. Going to hit Island Raceway sometime this spring.

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
What you you guys suggest for my next run?

Lower the tire pressure, launch at a higher rpm..?

What a nice hard launch, do you see the trap speed dropping to the 110 range?

On a side not I'm using all season Michelin Pilot Sport Pluses...they are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread