First time at the track (video)

JDrake

Established Member
003-1.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vs1DIxcTqc]YouTube - 2001 Cobra vs 2002 Z28 M6[/ame]

Only had 4 runs that night, if i had been able to run more i strongly believe i would have broken the 12's.

red9450

Established Member
nice job....that mph is an easy mid 12 with traction and seat time....congrats..

JDrake

Established Member
You need some tires! Thats a good mph! I went 12.3's and 4's with that mph but was cutting 1.6 60's

Thats all i have heard... how do i do that w/out killing my irs? I spin a bit now w/ 285 nitto 555's, maybe my next set of 315 will work better.
But still this was my first time ever at the track and i was getting better at taming the beast w/ more runs.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
Depends, what's the track prep like? They lay down a good amount of VHT or no? What pressure you running them at? How long did you cook them in the box? these tires need to be nuked for a bit to get them real stickyicky. Know anyone that has the Mickey Thompson's? I've heard they are better than the Nittos.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Thats all i have heard... how do i do that w/out killing my irs? I spin a bit now w/ 285 nitto 555's, maybe my next set of 315 will work better.
But still this was my first time ever at the track and i was getting better at taming the beast w/ more runs.

Did you do a burnout on 555s? Ive heard regular street tires grease up with a burnout.

A set of MT or Hoosier drag radials will help. People have cut 1.7 and 1.8s on the stock IRS. Seat time will help you figure it out (different tire pressures, RPM) If it hops just get out of it until it stops

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
A slick with a soft sidewall is going to be easier on your IRS than a street tire Justin. My MT's will be mounted very shortly. I'm not sure if the backspacing on my wheels will fit your IRS or not, but we can test fit them and you can make a few passes on them if they do.

Sny714

Established Member
I've cut 1.7s in my MT DR's like mentioned in your other thread. I liked them better than the Nittos I had. I have the video link if you want.

Im loving that trap speed!:)

JDrake

Established Member
Did you do a burnout on 555s? Ive heard regular street tires grease up with a burnout.

A set of MT or Hoosier drag radials will help. People have cut 1.7 and 1.8s on the stock IRS. Seat time will help you figure it out (different tire pressures, RPM) If it hops just get out of it until it stops

No burnout and no wheelhop, just spin. I know i can break 12's on street tires, i cant wait to see what i can do w/ drag radials or slicks. i just really dont want to mess up the irs. Did you watch the vid Perry?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
No burnout and no wheelhop, just spin. I know i can break 12's on street tires, i cant wait to see what i can do w/ drag radials or slicks. i just really dont want to mess up the irs. Did you watch the vid Perry?

Yea I watched the video. Like I told you in my last post, slicks have a softer sidewall than street tires. They give you cushion when launching the car and will be a lot easier on your IRS. Wheel hop is what kills halfshafts! You did really good for the first time out. I wish I had traction like you, when I was out on Saturday. I really didn't think I would spin as bad as I did. I am ordering some tires at the moment.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Nice pass Drake!! That car is making some power. Hitting 12's on the street tires is tuff. I tried and just kept getting to much spin in 2nd, but I was on the 245's also. I did run a 12.81 with the stock 3.27, but on my 275 mickey dr's. The best I got with the 245 streets was a 13.08. Congrats again.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Agreed with everyone on the slicks. I also thought too that they would break my halfshafts but man they did wonders. Had some MT I think they were 315's, dont remember. Ran 5 passes with a 1.8-1.9 all night. IRS will handle it just fine. Just make a good burn out and make sure (if I remember right) you leave the tires at 15psi. Congrats on the pass :beer:

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
stock 3.27, i beat that Z28 bad... some guys came up to us after the race and said that they lost money cuz they bet some guy in the crowd that the camaro would beat me,:rockon:

wow, stock gears thats great, congrats on the kill, N/A Cobras FTW:banana:

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
That's really impressive considering I got a 13.3 w/ 4.10's and radials. :nonono:

Do LT's give us that much more to trap 110? The best I ever got was a 106.58 w/ 4.10's.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
That's really impressive considering I got a 13.3 w/ 4.10's and radials. :nonono:

Do LT's give us that much more to trap 110? The best I ever got was a 106.58 w/ 4.10's.
The weather plays a big role here, not all tracks are the same. Also altitude. Even then O.P is dynoing extremely good, 330whp if I remember right O.P? :beer::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread