First time at the track school me!

screaminsnake01

LS1poo
Established Member
Ok guys im going to be going to the track in about 4 more weeks or so. I have never ran a car at the track at all. My mods are in my sig. I have mickey thompsons 275 DRs new, Im running on the stock 17inch rims now. Im not going to use no n2o. What I want to know is How should I do my burn out, what RPM should I take off at. How I should launch. and what RPM should I shift at. I can shift pretty fast. Just help me out thanks

Greg

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
wow, you've taken the eaton about as far as you can go. what kind of numbers do you make?

keep us posted on your times

JMD0346

Established Member
Lower the DR's down to about 14psi. Do a good 8 second or so burnout. Make sure you milk them good. Start out launching around 4000 with a quick clutch slip. Dont dump it. See were you are from that run. If it didnt spin. Raise your rpm up on the next launch. You should be able to leave around 5000 if the track is hooking.

I would shift it around 6000 rpm. Powershift it if you can. It makes a big difference in these cars. It doesnt allow the blower to dump boost.

Hope this helps. This is how I do it. Seems to work.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I've been racin' my Cobra and prior to that my '02 GT for about 3 years so I'm sure there will be others with more experience chime in, but this works for me.
1) Turn off Traction Control
2) Drive around the water box. You can back into it if you want, but I prefer and have been taught on DR's to do a dry burnout.
3) Rev to about 3500 and dump the clutch. If you get any wheel hop, get off immediately. If no hop, spin the wheels for about 5 - 10 seconds. Gets the grit off and warms them up just a tad.
4) Line up and wait for your opponent. Waiting for them to stage, rev it a couple of times for the Fear Factor,
5) When your both staged, rev to 3500 and wait. When the first amber flashes, ride the clutch out until you feel full engagement then press the petal to the floor. I get 1.8 60' times with this.
6) I shift about 6000 and get to the top end of 2nd at the end of the 1/8 mile.
Have fun. Track food isn't that bad, but if you want to save your heart and stomach, bring you own stuff. Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Lower the DR's down to about 14psi. Do a good 8 second or so burnout. Make sure you milk them good. Start out launching around 4000 with a quick clutch slip. Dont dump it. See were you are from that run. If it didnt spin. Raise your rpm up on the next launch. You should be able to leave around 5000 if the track is hooking.

I would shift it around 6000 rpm. Powershift it if you can. It makes a big difference in these cars. It doesnt allow the blower to dump boost.

Hope this helps. This is how I do it. Seems to work.
If I didn't type so slow, I would have put +1 on this technique as well.

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
relax
have fun
dont worry about reaction time
concentrate on lowering the 60' time. the et in these cars is in the launch.
bring a lunch - racetrack food sucks

i suck at it so hopefully someone better at launching will chime in

And its waaaaaay overpriced. Last time I went it was like $12 for a burger and soda.

JMD0346

Established Member
Its easy but it does take some practice. As soon as you feel the car start to roll let the clutch out. Its a very quick slip. Have you ever done a burnout in the water box?

When you run dont worry about the lights. Stage like normal but go when you get ready. Concentrate on your burnout and launching technique. When you get that down then worry about cutting good lights.

Once you get it all together it is a beautifull thing. Its a rush like nothing else. Even if you run 13's. When you launch that thing right and bang every gear you feel like youre in a pro-mod.

screaminsnake01

LS1poo
Established Member
Nope never been in a burn out box
So let me get this right
pull around the water box back into it do a lil burn out to get the tires hot.
stage up rev to 3500 ease out on the clutch till i feel it to move a lil. Then let out on it with the gas to the floor

OmahaStang

Established Member
Don't drive through the waterbox!! won't make people happy. Drive around it and if you want to do a burn out put it in reverse and try to make eye contact with the track attendant, sometimes they will help you out too. Otherwise adjust your mirror down to see the water etc. Then do your burn out, don't go past the staging bulbs! BTW may want to 'practice' doing a burn out in a parking lot without going to far. (forward movement)

Granted I don't have as much experience as others on here but this has been my experience and from what I've read.

Last edited:

screaminsnake01

LS1poo
Established Member
ok
guys im ALL EARS. I dont wanna go into this blind. I dont wanna break my car or anything.
So back into the water box just a lil and do a burn out until i get to the dry part of the track.! got it

JMD0346

Established Member
screaminsnake01 said:
Nope never been in a burn out box
So let me get this right
pull around the water box back into it do a lil burn out to get the tires hot.
stage up rev to 3500 ease out on the clutch till i feel it to move a lil. Then let out on it with the gas to the floor

Thats sounds about right. Just make sure you pull up out the waterbox before you start your burnout.. Like said above. The track attentant will usually help you if you need it.

I look over at the opposite lane at that lanes waterbox. You can judge your position by that.

screaminsnake01

LS1poo
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Thats sounds about right. Just make sure you pull up out the waterbox before you start your burnout.. Like said above. The track attentant will usually help you if you need it.

I look over at the opposite lane at that lanes waterbox. You can judge your position by that.
ok thanks guys

still got the fear of slipping the clutch and hooking up

Users who are viewing this thread