First time at Drag Strip

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Here's the video of my first time at the drag strip from last night. Wow, what a learning experience! I never would have imagined I would be that nervous or that going A to B would be that challenging. Watching the tape back is quite humbling and educational :)

My car is a 1996 Cobra with JLT RAI, BBK LT Headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and Flowmaster Cat-back Exhaust. I know the car is capable of faster times but I have a lot of work to do on my driving skills.

I'm open to everyone's suggestions on what I can do to get better. Why was I spinning in 2nd gear so bad? Maybe I needed to spin the street tires a little more beforehand?

Any guesses on what you think the car can run with a better 60ft given the MPH I'm at (my 60 on the 4th run was 2.27)?

Thanks.

[video=youtube;7UlfIos6k0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UlfIos6k0w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well each run got better, right? it sure is a lot of fun :rockon: just keep practicing and your times will keep coming down.

as far as advice, from what I could tell by listening, you should try to nail your shifts faster, and also maybe give it more rpm at the starting line. if you can get a set of drag radials then you will really watch your 60s come down. have fun!

98SVTContour98

Established Member
well each run got better, right? it sure is a lot of fun :rockon: just keep practicing and your times will keep coming down.

as far as advice, from what I could tell by listening, you should try to nail your shifts faster, and also maybe give it more rpm at the starting line. if you can get a set of drag radials then you will really watch your 60s come down. have fun!

I had a great time, and I can't wait to go back.

I'm a little nervous to practice my launch b/c I hate to beat on it. Yeah I think I got conservative with my shifts once I missed that gear on my 2nd run, I was paranoid about missing another one after that.

Stock rear end gears? With the bolt-on's you already have, the biggest difference maker would be to go to ATLEAST 4:10's, but preferably 4:30's. RippinSVT has an excellent write up on sn95 mods to check out.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...hile-Basic-Mods-for-96-98-Cobra-sticky-please

Stock gears for now, but I'm doing 4.30s later this year. I wanted to go a few times to the track first to see what my times improve to with the 4.30s.

Thanks for the link!!!

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I'm heading back to the strip this Wednesday Night...Gulfport Dragway in MS...If anyone is around these parts feel free to PM me and we can meet up.

Users who are viewing this thread