First the ZL1, now the Z28 is coming

Darkflow

Established Member
it's funny they want to go after the Boss, and never mention the GT500. :shrug:

Where have you been? lol The ZL1 is targeted at the GT500. What else would a 6.2L LSA supercharged Camaro pushing the 500hp mark be going up against?

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
If GM does this, it would be great competition for the boss and boss LS.

Although I highly doubt they can lighten up the camaro to the weight of the boss mustang, I think the slight power advantage the ls7 has over the boss 302 would even things out somewhat.

It would be a real dog fight I can tell you that much!!

mrlrd1

Established Member
I guess I am that stupid since he clearly left plenty of room for speculation in what he said. Sorry im not up to your par on understanding what people mean when they only put a few words to say what they mean. i didnt read the whole thread cause i posted it off my phone. Get over it noob

Damn... you owned me :rollseyes

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
good for gm... It's great for american car market and competition!

but The new camaro is still ugly brick on wheels inside and out whetHER its a ,V6,SS,Z28,ZL1 ETC ETC blah blah!!

Ford will have a new shelby coming anyways.

Summerwolf

Established Member
it's funny they want to go after the Boss, and never mention the GT500. :shrug:

There is already a supercharged camaro in the making so.....it shouldn't have to be said. :shrug:

Either way....IMO....2005+ Mustangs AND the new Camaros are not lookers in my eyes....lol. They are getting better though with the new styling of the current mustang variants and the proposed styling of the new camaro.

Last edited:

Summerwolf

Established Member
If GM does this, it would be great competition for the boss and boss LS.

Although I highly doubt they can lighten up the camaro to the weight of the boss mustang, I think the slight power advantage the ls7 has over the boss 302 would even things out somewhat.

It would be a real dog fight I can tell you that much!!

You've got your LS numbers mixed up....the LS7 has a DRASTIC power advantage over the boss 302.... Plus a just a "couple" cubic inches, lol. The LS3 is what you're referring to. Even though that article says a "slightly detuned LS7" I haven't seen much to support that....

Current rumor has it they're talking about the LSA in the camaro for the upcoming sportier models.

Last edited:

Catfood

Established Member
Camaro is still too big and fat. Engineering can only overcome so much porkiness.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I don't want to bring this up but have you heard about a Veyron? Engineering overcame every ounce of pork that car had, lol.

Hahaha come on man. A veyron has over 1000hp, a twin clutch sequential 7 speed, phenomenal aerodynamics, a super advanced chassis and suspension and AWD.

The Camaro is built off a full sized sedan platform, an LSX without a big power advantage, mediocre aerodynamics and a tremec.

Sent using Tapatalk

6.0GTO

Established Member
Has not GM already shown an inclination to be at least looking at a Camaro slotted to compete with the BOSS. Probably not the car that would be produced and I would guess a hopped up version of the LS3 would be more likely. Seems it can match the Coyote motor mod for mod. Sans the the weight reduction(Which GM will have to work a bunch of OT to match) It is not like anything that is done to the BOSS, GM could not do to the Camaro.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SSX Track Car Concept - Top Speed

cam85ss

Established Member
GM is going to go bankrupt again just trying to keep up to Ford. They already have the ZR1 vette program, the Camaro as it is, now they want to add the ZL1 and Z28 to the mix, especially for a car that they are going to put in the price range of the vette. The only "working class" muscle cars anymore are the V6 models and entry V8 models. Anything else becomes fairly expensive in my opinion for a brand new muscle car.

Summerwolf

Established Member
Hahaha come on man. A veyron has over 1000hp, a twin clutch sequential 7 speed, phenomenal aerodynamics, a super advanced chassis and suspension and AWD.

The Camaro is built off a full sized sedan platform, an LSX without a big power advantage, mediocre aerodynamics and a tremec.

Sent using Tapatalk

No shit....??? Seriously?

Of course I was throwing it out there as a case where engineering overcame weight. The LSA is an incredible motor and the camaro won't take much lightening to make the weight on par with the GT500. The GT500 weighs almost 3800 lbs if nobody recalls that and thats the 2011 with the lighter engine. I think now is a good time to be an enthusiast no matter whos brand you're driving.

A manual SS weighs in at 3860....so 100 lbs heavier then a current GT500. If they do the lightening like they're talking about and put in the LSA (which makes more power/torque then even the current GT500) why do you guys think it won't be a competition?

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I don't see how GM can put out a Z/28 that is going to outperform a ZL1.....which isn't even out yet and won't be for some time. The line between Corvette and Camaro is going to start to blur far more than it's already going to be. I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

6.0GTO

Established Member
GM is going to go bankrupt again just trying to keep up to Ford. They already have the ZR1 vette program, the Camaro as it is, now they want to add the ZL1 and Z28 to the mix, especially for a car that they are going to put in the price range of the vette. The only "working class" muscle cars anymore are the V6 models and entry V8 models. Anything else becomes fairly expensive in my opinion for a brand new muscle car.

GM posted bigger profits than Ford the last two quarters. The Camaro is outselling the Mustang. The financial troubles GM encountered had as much to do with the pin heads running of the company as the cars they were building. To some extent the company is already being run better than when George Bush, not Obama started the bail out.

GM is certainly building better vehicles. The Volt is a new category of vehicle, the Cruze is much better than the Cobalt, the Camaro is back. Buick's cars are the best they have ever been and Cadlilac as usual is making Lincoln an also ran. You bet they still have huge problems to straighten out. Your predicted demise of GM becuase they are building two additional variants of the Camaro(that are using many off the shelf parts that in turn makes it cheaper for the other platforms using those parts) is hardly what is likely to happen. Neither the Corvette or the Camaro are big slices of quarterly reports. Besides Chevy probably will make more profit on the sale of a ZL1 than a base model Corvette. So if the ZL1 happens to poach a few sales from base model Corvettes where is the loss?

Summerwolf

Established Member
Comparing any camaro that comes out to a corvette is kind of silly....there will be no "blurred lines."

If Ford had a direct competitor to the corvette there wouldn't be need of so many variants to the mustang.

Jroc

Established Member

Agreed. This is kind of what happened to the Soviet Union. Trying to match the U.S on everything we did made them go bankrupt. GM needs to do their own thing and learn to be a little original with what they sell. Especially when it comes to niche vehicles which Boss 302's are. You don't see Ford copying everything GM puts out. If they want to copy something of Fords how about they copy the Ecoboost for the Silverado so that they to can have a ****** ass v6 as their top of the line 1/2 ton truck motor and Ford won't be alone.

For GM to make it compete with the Boss 302 it's going to need near C6Z lapping abilities. I'm sure the C7 will up the vette's performance but still.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread