First start success, now what.

Brad D

Established Member
I recently put my 03 cobra under the knife to get it to where I've always wanted it. I built the motor over the winter and just a few days ago I had a successful first start. My question is specifically tuned based. And that is, is an email tune my only option for getting the car to run half decent to break the new motor/clutch in? If so, who would be the right person to call? I'm planning on having my car tuned by big 3 racing in Hinkley OH, just need a generic tune so I can break everything in, and trouble shoot small problems that I'm sure will come up. Thank you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I recently put my 03 cobra under the knife to get it to where I've always wanted it. I built the motor over the winter and just a few days ago I had a successful first start. My question is specifically tuned based. And that is, is an email tune my only option for getting the car to run half decent to break the new motor/clutch in? If so, who would be the right person to call? I'm planning on having my car tuned by big 3 racing in Hinkley OH, just need a generic tune so I can break everything in, and trouble shoot small problems that I'm sure will come up. Thank you.

I would call Big 3 Racing and have them send you a safe start up tune.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Rick should be able to get you going. They do good work, I had my 03 tuned there a couple years ago. I'll be going back for final dial in with my new combo. Good luck!

03' White Snake

Established Member
Break it in on the dyno. The very best thing you can do is get the engine under load and making boost ASAP. At home you can ensure no leaks, intercooler pump works and everything else is mechanically sound so when it goes to dyno it's ready to make the power.
This exactly.

Get a start up tune, bring it up to temp, make sure no leaks or air pockets in the coolant system, take it for a quick ride. Throw boost at it to seat the rings. Not WOT, but 10 psi or so. I did 5 heat cycles, 25-50 miles and changed the oil. Then straight to the dyno.

Quick Strike

Established Member
My tuner sent me a no boost break in tune after I built my engine. He asked me to put 1k miles on it before bringing it in for Dyno tuning. He only charged me the price of the new tuner. I’m not sure how other tuners handle it. I’d just see how yours wants to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03' White Snake

Established Member
My tuner sent me a no boost break in tune after I built my engine. He asked me to put 1k miles on it before bringing it in for Dyno tuning. He only charged me the price of the new tuner. I’m not sure how other tuners handle it. I’d just see how yours wants to handle it.

What did your engine builder say? Your tuner was probably trying to feel out issues.

I’ve done 2 built motors and never heard of 1k break in miles. My first one, builder said 500 miles. He did the break in/burp procedure. Second one, I picked up the short block from the machine shop, finished assembling and did there break in process. Was on the dyno with less than 50 miles on it.

Brad D

Established Member
Breaking the motor in on a dyno is what I was initially going to do. But when I was installing my new rxt it says in bold letters NOT to break in on the dyno. No luck getting a hold of anyone at big 3, going to keep trying. I imagine those guys are buried right now though. Everyone wants there car running right for summer.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I built the engine. My local NAPA machine shop did the machine work. They do a lot of circle track engines and followed my instructions to the letter. I went to Horsepower by Herman in MD for the the tune. He was very helpful when I had questions during the build. This was my first Mod Motor build and it still runs strong 10+ years later. The other engines I have built only had 500 miles as the required break in. I don’t know why he wanted 1000 miles, but I did it!

Brad D

Established Member
Quick Strike, this was actually my first motor build ever, a lot of due diligence went into it to find the proper specs for everything. I'm a machinist by trade so all the tolerances/specs required, I was very comfortable checking and making sure everything was done correctly. I can honestly say aside from the boat load of O.T I had to work to pay for all the goodies, I had a blast doing it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had a machine shop build my first big bore set up. He wanted me to break it in before hitting it with boost. I don't remember the miles, but I waited. That motor went through two sets of head gaskets. I built the second one myself. I warmed it up in the driveway to make sure it wasn't leaking then took it out and did 2 or 3 full boost runs. It turned 100 miles on a dyno. That ended up being a really strong engine.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Other then degreeing the cams, I also found building the engine very satisfying. Especially when it dynoed at 743 RWHP on 93 and Torco. I could not have afforded to buy the engine I built.

Users who are viewing this thread