First start of a new built motor..what to do?

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
This will be my fist time ever starting a freshly built motor. What do I need to do to ensure I don't damage anything?

It will have a remote oil filter installed if that makes a difference.

I bought one Mobil 1 filter and a Fram. I intend on using the Fram and then switching over to the Mobil 1 after the first oil change. Is conventional oil still recommended for the first fill?

jony51999

Established Member
Google L&M engine break in or Livernois performance engine break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Thank you. Just read the L&M procedure.

The thing with the car is it is not ready to be driven at the moment but I want to start it and make sure everything is okay with the motor. Ill just run it for a few and make sure to not let it idle for too long.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
You'll get 100s of opinions on this. Some say let it idle for awhile, others say start it and rev it to seat the rings. I would follow the opinion of a reputable engine manufacturer/builder that have built hundreds of engines versus the guy who has built one in his garage and had success.

That is MY opinion.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I followed the L&M procedure. Primed the oil with a garden sprayer and fired her up. 2 heat cycles to burp the coolant with moderate revving. Put about 50 miles on it with a few lbs of boost here and there and changed the oil. (You will be surprised how gray the oil will be already) Then onto the dyno and let her eat all of the boost.

Users who are viewing this thread