First service

dannyf

Established Member
My 12 is coming due for the 5k service. Problem is my car is catless with a cai and tune. Do I bring it to the dealer anyways? I don't want to jeopardize my warranty incase something serious happens. Can I do my own service and save receipts?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
ummm what do you need to take it to take it to the dealer for? oil change?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Good question, I wonder if I void my warranty if I put '13 GT500 axle backs only, no other power mods.

I'm not sure about tune and catless though...

StangMan04

Established Member
Dealerships try to get you to come in for service to make money. They try to get you to come in and sell you crap. Just do your own maintenance.

dannyf

Established Member
You tuned your car and are worried about jeopardizing your warranty?

lol

Yup and my powerstroke was tuned since day one and had multiple warranty claims on it. Its called reflashing, not rocket science. Switching the car back to stock is pretty simple. Having to pay out of pocket because I'm declined warranty for not being able to prove proper maintenance isn't simple. Therefore my original question stands, has anyone gotten hassled over doing their own maintenance.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
My dealer is what they call "mod friendly" I guess. I've taken it in with all work done too it listed in my sig. They have never said a word other than ask me about the car and what i've done too it and to rev it a few times because they rarely get a cool car into the shop besides the stock stangs.

I have the maint. plan with them for as long as the warranty is and plan to let them keep doing the oil changes and look the car over, because in my mind, it gives them the peace of mind if I do have an issue, I wasn't hiding or playing games with the car. So far, they have never asked twice when something has come up.

I do understand though, that not everyone has access to dealers like this.

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
My dealer is what they call "mod friendly" I guess. I've taken it in with all work done too it listed in my sig. They have never said a word other than ask me about the car and what i've done too it and to rev it a few times because they rarely get a cool car into the shop besides the stock stangs.

I have the maint. plan with them for as long as the warranty is and plan to let them keep doing the oil changes and look the car over, because in my mind, it gives them the peace of mind if I do have an issue, I wasn't hiding or playing games with the car. So far, they have never asked twice when something has come up.

I do understand though, that not everyone has access to dealers like this.
What warranty claims have you made with your car?

CorDog009

Established Member
If you're worried about it, I'd take it in and let them service it. They're either going to void it now, or void it later when you have a real issue. Might as well feel them out and see how they're going to treat you if you can't throw the de-mod it easily.

CorDog009

Established Member
I thought they can only void it if its directly related to a failure...

That's true. However, you'd have to get a lawyer, take them to court, have the car out of commission for months on end, and hope you win the case. FoMoCo has the money to drag it out and make you wish you'd never messed with them..and then you'd still have to pay to have the car fixed after spending tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. It can be a really ugly battle going down that road.

Users who are viewing this thread