First "serious" video editing attempt. How can it be done better?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Overall it's pretty good. The presentation and lower 3rd looks good without being too busy. The one thing I noticed though is that the cuts between videos are pretty harsh. To the point of being jarring.

You might consider having a transition graphic between each song segment. This will add a little time to the video, which by youtube standards is already getting pretty long. If you're looking for hits, you're going to start losing people at around the 3 minute mark. Those people won't be inclined to upvote or cross link.

What I would do is instead making do the top 25 to scale down the video, but focus more on the top 10 or 5.

One way you can help engage the watcher a little bit is to also not keep all your clips the same time. Using audio cues from the song itself, try for a certain amount of time, but you shouldn't have exactly 20 second clips for everything. That's going to be part of that hard cut you're getting and it also becomes very mechanical feeling.

Finally, I'll just throw this out there, be very careful with this type of video. You're breaking several copyright laws in the process. If you're trying to monetize this, you need to secure proper licensing. If you're not trying to monetize the worst that would probably happen is having your account locked and the videos removed. If you are monetizing, you could incur substantial financial penalties.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Second one is better. I think you're doing a great job. It will just get better with more practice.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
good video.

but my god does some of todays music suck. a bugatti song? really?

20redfire03

Established Member
2nd was better. And watching these videos reminded me I don't know crap about todays music.

good video.

but my god does some of todays music suck. a bugatti song? really?

When I saw this my first thought was WTF?! How can this really be a popular song.

Users who are viewing this thread