First round of mods ***PICS****

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
As some know, some don't, I bought my 04 Cobra December 26th and had to park it alllllll winter long. It already had the Whipple and supporting mods. There was a couple things that were important though, that I feel he left out.

I added a Pro-5.0 shifter handle to the already installed Hurst shifter. MUCH better feel. Make sure you loc-tite those bolts. Mine came loose already. Never had that happen on any other shifter/handle combo.

I also added the 14mm bolts to the front IRS subframe. The stocks as most know are 12mm and you can see the gap between the frame and bolt. That is a joke. I feel that when I take off easy....the car feels more solid and straight. I think it was worth the effort. I used a hoist, but if you don't have a hoist, grab a buddy since the IRS subframe moves out of position a little even when it's supported.

I also added the 275-40R17 Nitto Drag Radials. Most say they look skinny on the Cobra wheels. While I might add they do....they are 10.5" wide inflated on a 17X9 wheel....That is the same size as the Goodyear F1's I took off. Now....it isn't warm at all here right now. Mid 50* at best. I took the car out that day (Saturday) and while the Nitto's do not hook perfectly, they make the car driveable. I used to be able to not even accelerate easily without spinning, but now it stays put while doing that. I also noticed that they do hook at higher speeds while dropping down into 2nd gear and shifting into 3rd. When it warms up they will be much much better. BTW...I had them at 26psi cold.

PICS.

6,200 mile rear Goodyear F1's
DSC06087.jpg

Brand new Nitto's.
DSC06086.jpg

12mm bolt in car.
DSC06090.jpg

12mm bolt vs. 14mm bolt.
DSC06092.jpg

Tire on wheel....yes dirty...muddy..etc.
DSC06093.jpg

After a quick wash...no tire shine, no wheel polish.
DSC06096.jpg

Close up.
DSC06104.jpg

Last edited:

romi

Established Member
I feel you pain, storage sucks. Working on mine right now also but its been only in the low 30's all week.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
It sucks. I drove my car Saturday in the 50's and it's snowing today and yesterday. We got about 3-4 inches on the grass. None on the roads.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Nah give it some time for more to post. Remember people work lol. I love the color of your car. Nittos suck in the cold but I dont know of to many tires that don't. I have Nitto street nt 555 and I get alot shit talk from people . I know there not DR's but when I was down in Bradenton last month in the nice Florida weather I had very little wheel spin in 80 degree weather. It pretty much just hooked and put me back in my seat. Now the person who had the MT DR's couldn't even drive 30 mph in a drizzle without shitting his pants. As for me I was cruising at 70 with no issues. Now I'm back in Jersey and my car just spins like I'm on ice. Temps were in the 30's low 40's when I got back.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Nah give it some time for more to post. Remember people work lol. I love the color of your car. Nittos suck in the cold but I dont know of to many tires that don't. I have Nitto street nt 555 and I get alot shit talk from people . I know there not DR's but when I was down in Bradenton last month in the nice Florida weather I had very little wheel spin in 80 degree weather. It pretty much just hooked and put me back in my seat. Now the person who had the MT DR's couldn't even drive 30 mph in a drizzle without shitting his pants. As for me I was cruising at 70 with no issues. Now I'm back in Jersey and my car just spins like I'm on ice. Temps were in the 30's low 40's when I got back.

True...ture...some people just read at work and post later. :beer: Thanks for the compliments on the color. That is Torch Red, I guess it kinda looks like Competition Orange in those pics. The sun was really beating on it.

I never saw the Nitto street NT555's before until last week. I was at my rear end shop and this Bullit Mustang had them out back. They were pretty soft to the touch/digging my nail in them. I'm sure they do hook well in the 80* weather. I'm sure the DR's will be great for what I do once it warms up.

I wanted to go M/T's....but reading on here that they suck in drizzle, which I do get caught in from time to time, then rush home...I went with Nitto's. Plus I already had them at the shop. I paid for them in 2007 and they just sat here. I figured why waste 400 dollars when I don't really have to.:coolman:

Last edited:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Comp Orange + Whipple = WIN. I feel ya on the storage thing. There's nothing like that first ride after having it put away for a couple months.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Comp Orange + Whipple = WIN. I feel ya on the storage thing. There's nothing like that first ride after having it put away for a couple months.

Actually, it's Torch Red, but it does look like CO in those pics. :-D

I love getting in that thing after driving my F150 all week. Feels like a rocket. Just glad I feel the torque now and not the hop/spin. :lol1:

mach1033

Established Member
Yup I have a Hemi pick up that is my DD I know shame on me lol but Ford wouldn't work with me on money and options so i went with Dodge:eek: Anyway I feel the same way when I get in the Cobra for the first time :rolling:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member

I love getting in that thing after driving my F150 all week. Feels like a rocket. Just glad I feel the torque now and not the hop/spin. :lol1:

It looked CO on my I-pod. Now that I'm on the laptop I can see. Either way you still got a whipple under that hood.:rockon:

jt239

Established Member
Looks good! Now how bout a few close up shots of the whipple...lol! How hard was it to change out the IRS bolts? Did you have to loosen the rears?
And i'm surprised to hear you like the 5.0 handle...mine was in an uncomfortable position so I kept the 5.0 shifter but changed the handle. But everybody has their own taste...:beer:

What else do you have planned?

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Thanks JT. The bolts were fairly simple. The left one went right in, while the right side subframe moved a little out of position. I couldn't squeeze my hands in there to start it, so I dropped the right side tailpipe and muffler as an assembly. The 5.0 handle isn't too bad. It's short, that is for sure. Still....it does not even compare to the MGW in the 96 I have.

Other plans are the diff bushings, but I'm still waiting on my BF diff brace, and it looks like all the same stuff must be loosened up and moved at the same time. I also ordered DynoMax mufflers, but they are wrong. It's my fault. I ordered offset inlet outlet, but Cobra IRS has both inset inlets and outlets. I hope I can quiet it down some how.

The whipple is a lot of fun.

Here are more pics for fun.

My 04 and my Dad's 07

DSC06056.jpg

DSC06054.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

And a video, before the Nittos. The return trip is just a rip of 2nd gear that just broke the tires.

th_MOV06048.jpg

Last edited:

TermySnake

Established Member

yeah, torch red changes to orange when it's sunny. i hated it at first.

then i loved it. you will get used to it. :) something i noticed about the 04 torch red is, the color is more red & have a lil pink in it. IDK maybe i'm wrong

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Thanks JT. The bolts were fairly simple. The left one went right in, while the right side subframe moved a little out of position. I couldn't squeeze my hands in there to start it, so I dropped the right side tailpipe and muffler as an assembly. The 5.0 handle isn't too bad. It's short, that is for sure. Still....it does not even compare to the MGW in the 96 I have.

Other plans are the diff bushings, but I'm still waiting on my BF diff brace, and it looks like all the same stuff must be loosened up and moved at the same time. I also ordered DynoMax mufflers, but they are wrong. It's my fault. I ordered offset inlet outlet, but Cobra IRS has both inset inlets and outlets. I hope I can quiet it down some how.

The whipple is a lot of fun.

Here are more pics for fun.

My 04 and my Dad's 07

DSC06056.jpg

DSC06054.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

And a video, before the Nittos. The return trip is just a rip of 2nd gear that just broke the tires.

th_MOV06048.jpg

so sounds at work....damnit:shrug:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Thanks to all. I wanted to run by my buddy taping in 3rd gear, but when the truck started coming, I figured I better not. I just gave it a stab in 2nd. I didn't wanna get squirrly and hit the guy.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Awesome, nice pictures and killer car.

my only complaint about Torch red is I lose at a lot of car shows to Redfire and DSG. This is becuase those colors have flake in them that really shines in sunlight where as torch red is flat.....i still love it though.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Thanks. I'm surprised you lose because of color. I mean, I don't compete in car shows for prizes, but is that normal for them to judge you on color?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man that motor sounds nice, and the car flat out hauls. Talk about a blower whine! Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread