First race against a GT500

svt99rag

Established Member
SpdPilot said:
Good point...... I can't believe I am having to defend a Mustang that everyone loves to hate....ON A MUSTANG/SVT Forum. If this is any indication of how Ford enthusiasts feel about the new Mustang, Ford is going under for sure. Evidently the GT-500 was a big mistake and piece of crap.

You are right though, it doesn't matter what kind of power as long as it's fast. Soon as my blower is on, there are going to be more then a few upset pullied 03-04 Cobra owner upset.

I like the s197 stangs but personally I would rather have a terminator. I could have bought an new gt cheaper than I got my 03 but its not what I wanted. I personally like the platform of the 03-04's better, not that anythings wrong with the new ones....Its a stang and I love them all!:thumbsup:

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
I can see it as there have been lots of dyno results where the car only dynos 415 or so and my car with c/b and cai made 416 coupled with 300 lbs less = win

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
Albuquerque ALI said:
havent u ever heard of the break in time ??? he was for sure not getting on it all the way in the 2007 brand new car .........sorry ...... race him again in a few months and see what will become of the race .... when he can get on it all the way

If he needed to break in the car, he should not of raced.... He got beat... There is always a faster car and faster driver

UCBeau

svt4stv said:
ive heard the contrary, regarding the "break in stage". ive heard, from engineer/mechanic, that how you break the car in is how the motor will act from then on. if you run it hard (as opposed to driving gently) the motor will have "set" (or something like that) in that fashion, which actually can lead to more whp. this is just something i heard from some experienced engine guys and have heard this in various places as well.

either way, i dont see how adding a few hundred more pounds to an already "too heavy" car is a good thing, no matter how much hp they throw at it.
its recommended by some some folks that you use the first 30 miles to break the motor in by driving it pretty hard. going through the gears, cruising at various RPM settings. this is supposed to help the rings seat better, leading to a tighter seal and more power.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
its recommended by some some folks that you use the first 30 miles to break the motor in by driving it pretty hard. going through the gears, cruising at various RPM settings. this is supposed to help the rings seat better, leading to a tighter seal and more power.

i've heard this as well. i'm too dumb to link the thread, but there was a huge discussion on this some time ago, where a well-known motorcycle engine builder suggested driving the bike hard to break it in correctly.

however, if the GT500 is anything like the terminators, the pistons themselves make a tight enough (and sometimes permanent) seal to the cylinder bores.

i agree that the GT500 is a better performer stock for stock, its just the margin of improvement is not as readily apparent as most were hoping for. if the car takes to mods with a vengeance, that's great--i guess you'll just have to mod your $60,000 mustang to make it quick. like i said, i'll wait until the end, when the kinks have been worked out, and the car is sitting on dealer lots--that's what i did with my '04, and got it for around $30k with the a-plan.

Last edited:

Beetle6986

Established Member
eci said:
Really? You must not like anything but the 1/4 then, as an 05 GT will own any Terminator Cobra in handling, yes with it's live rear axle. You can only put so many bandaids on your 1978 Fairmont to make it run the track with newer cars.

:lol: An 05 mustang GT WILL NOT own a Terminator in handling! Did you come up with this on your own or do you have some facts you would like to share. An 05 mustang GTs suspsension is much better than previous years GT cars, but as somebody else mentioned.... You hit a bump in the road on a hard corner and the solid axle will get upset much easier. I won't even mention what will happen in the straights.

SpdPilot said:
All of you Cobra owners are starting to sound very worried that you won't be king of the Mustang corral anymore. Face it, cars get out dated. When the 96 Cobra came out, they were the hot car, and toss on a blower and they were untouchable, but like everything, things changed. I still love my 98 Cobra, but accept the fact (without a blower) that is no match for the 03-04 Cobra.

Your post (and a few others) shows that you know nothing about the 05+ Mustangs and the GT-500 in particular. I am not going to list why, but do some reading. And when you do, pay particular attention to what the Lightning and a Ford GT can do. Lets just say, the 05+ Mustangs are VERY De-tuned by Ford.

Get a clue

Why do you keep grouping the 05 Mustang GT and the GT500 in the same category. Two completely different cars in two difference classes of performance. You sound like a Cobra hater (or somebody that thinks what they own is always the best). My car with CAI and catback is close to the horsepower of a GT500 and it weighs less. This guys story sounds like its the truth. I would expect the GT500 to outperform the 03 cobra by a little, but the same magazine tested them both and got a faster time from the 03 cobra. So they are very close in performance. All that said, i think the GT500 should be a couple tenths faster in the 1/4. Stop comparing the mustang GT to either of the SVTs. Its out of its league!

Last edited:

UCBeau

kirks5oh said:
i've heard this as well. i'm too dumb to link the thread, but there was a huge discussion on this some time ago, where a well-known motorcycle engine builder suggested driving the bike hard to break it in correctly.

however, if the GT500 is anything like the terminators, the pistons themselves make a tight enough (and sometimes permanent) seal to the cylinder bores.
i broke mine in the way the guy suggested it be done...and the motor runs awesome.

SpdPilot

Established Member
Pegilyn said:
I've never lost to a centri charged mustang.Now if you build the block and pour on the boost sure,but if you think you will just slap on a blower on your gt and take down pullied cobras LOL.My friend has an 05 procharged gt and my 04 crushes that thing.He cant even beat a stock C6 on a freeway roll.

I was talking about my 98 Cobra.....Hell, I'm in 03-04 Cobra territory now, even without the blower. I ran a 13.4 before the recent mods, and I am certain I'm closer to a 13.0 now......the same magazine everyone is quoting in this thread for GT-500, said the 03-04 Cobra is only capable of 12.9 stock (same for the GT-500 and that why that is a drivers race)....
so that means it's a drivers race for me with either the stock GT-500 or the 03-04 Cobra.....if it works for everyone in this thread when they talk about Cobra vs. GT-500....then it works from me and my 98 Cobra!!

Here is a Quote from the Article everyone is talking about in this thread:

Car and Driver - July 2006 GT-500 Test

"The quarter-mile required only 12.9 seconds at 112 mph, 150 mph came in 30.3 seconds, and an electronic tether limited top speed to 155 mph.

Although those are terrific numbers, they don’t seem quick enough for a 500-hp car. Sure it weighs a lot, but the last SVT Mustang Cobra we tested [“Rotary Revival,” C/D, April 2003] posted the same quarter-mile time and speed "

Last edited:

SpdPilot

Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
:lol: An 05 mustang GT WILL NOT own a Terminator in handling! Did you come up with this on your own or do you have some facts you would like to share. An 05 mustang GTs suspsension is much better than previous years GT cars, but as somebody else mentioned.... You hit a bump in the road on a hard corner and the solid axle will get upset much easier. I won't even mention what will happen in the straights.

Why do you keep grouping the 05 Mustang GT and the GT500 in the same category. Two completely different cars in two difference classes of performance. You sound like a Cobra hater (or somebody that thinks what they own is always the best). My car with CAI and catback is close to the horsepower of a GT500 and it weighs less. This guys story sounds like its the truth. I would expect the GT500 to outperform the 03 cobra by a little, but the same magazine tested them both and got a faster time from the 03 cobra. So they are very close in performance. All that said, i think the GT500 should be a couple tenths faster in the 1/4. Stop comparing the mustang GT to either of the SVTs. Its out of its league!

Ahhhhhh.... I own a 98 Cobra and a 05 GT, as well as a 2000GT, and a Blown 3V 5.4L 05 F150 (my version of the Lightning)..... Take your pick!

And my Cobra is lighter the your car and near the performance without a blower...what is your point?

I never questioned his win??? Have your read my posts? Your Cobra (or my Cobra for that matter) is not even in the same league as the New GT-500 or even the New GT. Two different cars all together??? I still don't get your point?? Are you trying to put me down??? I think you need to better then that!:loser:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
ScareCrow said:
To the few people making the excuses i.e. - he was babying the car , etc.
Im sure Im not the only person that's seen videos of vipers running 13's at the track , or new zo6's running high 12's. To me , I dont care how much power your car puts out , if you cant get it to hook up or know how to drive , you can easily lose to a lower horsepower car. And this wasn't posted to start a debate of terminators vs. the gt 500. So comments of it being a " far superior " car are pointless. Good day

Did the car have manufacturer plates?

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Albuquerque ALI said:
wow nice ... i didnt say u didnt race and beat the car but come on man why would he max out his car in the break in stage??? maybe u didnt break in your car but i think people that spend 40+ k on a car u woud think they would be a bit smarter then that ////////// but great run i gues
Break in is a joke. Drive a new car like a grandma, and guess what, you'll never make the power you could have. And you have shitty compression. In order to properly seat the rings, and grove the psiton walls, you need to GET ON IT from day 1!!! IT's dyno proven. A babied car will have much more blopw by, and less compression, = less whp. I'm not sure what one makes it last longer, but I know for sure what one makes more power.

Beetle6986

Established Member
SpdPilot said:
Ahhhhhh.... I own a 98 Cobra and a 05 GT, as well as a 2000GT, and a Blown 3V 5.4L 05 F150 (my version of the Lightning)..... Take your pick!

And my Cobra is lighter the your car and near the performance without a blower...what is your point?

I never questioned his win??? Have your read my posts? Your Cobra (or my Cobra for that matter) is not even in the same league as the New GT-500 or even the New GT. Two different cars all together??? I still don't get your point?? Are you trying to put me down??? I think you need to better then that!:loser:

:nono: You're doing it again. "New GT-500 or even the New GT". One is the standard mustang (GT) and the other is the top of the line mustang (GT500). Don't group them together. You must have misunderstood my last post. The 05 GT is a league BELOW the 03 cobra and the GT500. The SVT cars are comparable in performance. Sorry, the 05 GT is not comparable to either. Your 05 GT and 98 cobra would be a good comparison. They are similiar in power and performance. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Its great that you have more than one mustang. I usually have at least 3 o fmy own in front of my house. However, that doesn't mean much other than the fact that I like them.

Also, your 13.4 time is a little off the performance of a stock 03 cobra. 12s are pretty common. you're about 3/4 a second off some of the better stock times. I've seen 12.6 before on street tires for a stock 03 cobra. what is your trap speed and 60 ft. That will give you a good indication of your power vs traction.

Last edited:

eci

Banned
Beetle6986 said:
:nono: You're doing it again. "New GT-500 or even the New GT". One is the standard mustang (GT) and the other is the top of the line mustang (GT500). Don't group them together. You must have misunderstood my last post. The 05 GT is a league BELOW the 03 cobra and the GT500. The SVT cars are comparable in performance. Sorry, the 05 GT is not comparable to either. Your 05 GT and 98 cobra would be a good comparison. They are similiar in power and performance. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Its great that you have more than one mustang. I usually have at least 3 o fmy own in front of my house. However, that doesn't mean much other than the fact that I like them.

Also, your 13.4 time is a little off the performance of a stock 03 cobra. 12s are pretty common. you're about 3/4 a second off some of the better stock times. I've seen 12.6 before on street tires for a stock 03 cobra. what is your trap speed and 60 ft. That will give you a good indication of your power vs traction.

Beetle, a *stock* off the showroom floor 2005 GT will beat a terminator in slalom and skidpad, ie HANDLING TESTs. Do some research before you spout.

People like you who deny the new platforms superiority are amusing. You can NEVER setup a fox like an s197 in the road race department.

Beetle6986

Established Member
eci said:
Beetle, a *stock* off the showroom floor 2005 GT will beat a terminator in slalom and skidpad, ie HANDLING TESTs. Do some research before you spout.

People like you who deny the new platforms superiority are amusing. You can NEVER setup a fox like an s197 in the road race department.

Here are some number for you from Motor Trend
*stock* off the showroom floor 2005 GT COUPE
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 120
600-ft slalom, avg mph 66.1
200-ft skidpad, 0.84 g

*stock* off the showroom floor 03 Cobra ****Convertible*****
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 121
600-ft slalom, mph 64.1
200-ft skidpad, 0.85 g

99 Cobra Coupe
600-ft slalom, mph 67.8
200-ft skidpad, 0.88 g

These cars are similiar in handling. The Cobra coupe would do much better than the vert because its lighter and has a stiffer chassis. I also included the numbers for a 99 Cobra coupe. Again, verts don't handle as well. Magazine numbers will really vary for handling statistics. A different day the same driver can have different results from just the day before. Again, you would lose a lot of ground on the straights also. Now please stop telling us how great your GT is. It doesnt compare to the 03+ SVTs.

As somebody else already stated, you are also wrong about the Fox vs the s197! My friend has one that he professionally races. He would be laughing at your S197 cobra and my 04 Cobra!

Last edited:

eci

Banned
Beetle please stop proving your ignorance. Your "friend" should know that mod for mod the s197 will beat any Fox, ever. You can argue till you're blue in the face, but you can *never* setup your 03/04 SVT to outhandle an s197 mod for mod.

Plus once someone spends $1000 changing shocks and struts on a GT, you're completely owned. The chassis is superior in EVERY way. Go argue with MULTIMATIC, I think they may be more informed than you.

Last edited:

Beetle6986

Established Member
eci said:
Beetle please stop proving your ignorance. Your "friend" should know that mod for mod the s197 will beat any Fox, ever. You can argue till you're blue in the face, but you can *never* setup your 03/04 SVT to outhandle an s197 mod for mod.

Plus once someone spends $1000 changing shocks and struts on a GT, you're completely owned. The chassis is superior in EVERY way. Go argue with MULTIMATIC, I think they may be more informed than you.

I'm give up on you. All I hear from you is your opinion and what you would like to think. I don't see any proof from you. We will have to agree to disagree. BTW, you can pretty much put any suspension under a car that you want. Its just a matter of how much you want to modify it.

Users who are viewing this thread