First polish/wax to my 03

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
I am by no means a detailer, had the 03 for about a month. I used a 3 step on it let me know what you think guys.

Last edited:

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
After working on my paint I noticed how bad this was. It is a bassani catback read somewhere that some are all stainless and some arent (noob question insert) is there anyway to tell what it is before I go to sanding on it. It seems to be stained, I used some cleaners on it but nothing worked. I wanted to get a mirror look to them like my inspiration 04sleeper I think is his name.

Last edited:

mixxer

Established Member
Looks good but without seeing a full sun shot or under halogens,its doesnt really show any thing .even a trashed black car looks good in the shade.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
+1 on Mixxers comments, and as for the exhaust, If its a BX Bassani then it aluminized steel and cannot be polished. While this is technically stainless steel it is cheaper and cannot be polished (409 stainless) the Stainless steels polished like 04Sleeper has are 304 Stainless steel (Bassani SS in this case) and can be polished but are also anywhere from 200-400$ more than a 409ss System

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
+1 on Mixxers comments, and as for the exhaust, If its a BX Bassani then it aluminized steel and cannot be polished. While this is technically stainless steel it is cheaper and cannot be polished (409 stainless) the Stainless steels polished like 04Sleeper has are 304 Stainless steel (Bassani SS in this case) and can be polished but are also anywhere from 200-400$ more than a 409ss System

It was already on the car when I got it anyway to tell what it is?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Nice ride!

Those pipes don't look like they can be polished, but you may be able to clean them up a little. Or you can sell the cat back and buy another. :shrug:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
To the OP:

On the exhaust; there are a couple of things to look at here.

One, you already have what appears to be either surface rust or just dirt buildup at the elbows in the middle there below the tank.

Get some Cameo stainless sink cleaner from your grocery store and some green ScotchBrite.

41EGKG3PB6L._AA280_.jpg

Go to an area you can't see too much (like the back side of the tails) and scrub lightly. If the area becomes bright and clean like new-stainless looks, then they're stainless. If it gets cleaner but stays a zinc-like gray, they're aluminized, so don't keep scrubbing hard. You can also clean them with soap/water/scotchbrite and then follow with Mother's Mag/Aluminum polish. IF you get a black paste going, they're stainless. If not, its aluminized.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member

Not entirely correct.

Bassani BX systems are aluminized steel. Aluminized steel is economical and functional, but not the most aesthetically pleasing in the long run. You can also usually find the seam on aluminized tubing rather easily and the seam will often rust first. It is more corrosion resistant than raw steel, but not as good as stainless.

409 is stainless. It is high-carbon stainless that is actually better for severe service high-heat applications because it can expand/contract without work hardening and becoming brittle with age. Notice most midpipes are constructed of it (MRT and Magnaflow are)

304 stainless is "more pure" and thus, looks "better" and doesn't turn brown with heat/age. It can also crack in extreme heat situations; though not common in normal automotive applications.

409 and 304 CAN be polished; 304 will hold the look with nearly no-maintenance whereas 409 you'll have to stay on top of it all the time due to the recurring oxidation. Cleaners such as Cameo or Zud will help keep 409 looking nice.

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
Nice ride!

Those pipes don't look like they can be polished, but you may be able to clean them up a little. Or you can sell the cat back and buy another. :shrug:

Thanks sleeper all i can say is :bowdown: about your 03 that car is flawless.

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
MBLGJR thanks for the tips I will give the cameo a shot and see how clean I can get them. I will try to get some updated pics on the pipes after I work on them this weekend.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks sleeper all i can say is :bowdown: about your 03 that car is flawless.
Actually, it's an 04, not an 03. Hence the name. :thumbsup:

You are at least heading in the right direction with your car. This forum has a lot of great people with TONS of knowledge.

Keep up the good work! :beer:

SVTCLOPTON

Established Member
Actually, it's an 04, not an 03. Hence the name. :thumbsup:

You are at least heading in the right direction with your car. This forum has a lot of great people with TONS of knowledge.

Keep up the good work! :beer:

Haha sorry about that sleeper I am at work and was typing fast not paying attention to what I typed

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Not entirely correct.

Bassani BX systems are aluminized steel. Aluminized steel is economical and functional, but not the most aesthetically pleasing in the long run. You can also usually find the seam on aluminized tubing rather easily and the seam will often rust first. It is more corrosion resistant than raw steel, but not as good as stainless.

409 is stainless. It is high-carbon stainless that is actually better for severe service high-heat applications because it can expand/contract without work hardening and becoming brittle with age. Notice most midpipes are constructed of it (MRT and Magnaflow are)

304 stainless is "more pure" and thus, looks "better" and doesn't turn brown with heat/age. It can also crack in extreme heat situations; though not common in normal automotive applications.

409 and 304 CAN be polished; 304 will hold the look with nearly no-maintenance whereas 409 you'll have to stay on top of it all the time due to the recurring oxidation. Cleaners such as Cameo or Zud will help keep 409 looking nice.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt thought 304 and Aluminized were the same for some reason

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
mblgjr,

One of these days I'm going to just send you some money for a container of this stuff. Still haven't seen it anywhere around here... ;-)

Well it does do well on raw schedule stainless to keep it silver.

PM me your mailing address ;-)

Zud is an alternative; but Cameo is still better.

161163_300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread