First Mod: JLT Cai vs catted X pipe

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I assumed that by changing the damper you gained power and slowed the accessories down (seems true)
yes

but then I figured the reason for replacing the accessory pullies was to bring them back up to speed

That would defeat the purpose of slowing them down in the first place.

The goal is to slow them down as much as possible without affecting their ability to pump water, charge the battery or power the brakes and steering.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
That would defeat the purpose of slowing them down in the first place.

The goal is to slow them down as much as possible without affecting their ability to pump water, charge the battery or power the brakes and steering.

Ya, it all makes sense now. Thank you. I guess I never gave pullies enough thought since I'm nervous about vibrations killing the oil pump or possible charging issues that may arise. Maybe someday I'll come to terms lol.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
It takes hp to turn the accessories and the faster they turn the more hp they use. So, the goal is reduce their (accessories) RPM so they take less hp from the engine.

This. I thought it I was right to begin with but wasn't completely sure. I think the fact that they slow down accessories a bit is the reason (I remember searching this a long time ago) I did not bother with pulleys.

Hmmmm another question fellas..... I want to start off by saying I want the Bassani catback, butttt my stock exhaust already rubs my 315's. I've been searching and it seems spacers or heating up the hangers and moving the exhaust around. I would hate spacers. But will my exhaust be evenly aligned if I move it around? Thanks again guys!

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Just a thought....I've got a magna flow O/R X with the stock cutback and get lots of complements....maybe save on the catback and do some of the other mods you are considering.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Just a thought....I've got a magna flow O/R X with the stock cutback and get lots of complements....maybe save on the catback and do some of the other mods you are considering.

Nice Mystic! Hmm really now? I was wondering what it would sound like with the stock catback. Any sound clips by any chance? Would really appreciate it! Well if I like the magnaflow o/r x with the stock catback (for now) than I shall get that and than change out my rims to some black terminator rims that are 17x9 instead of black bullitts that are 17x10.5. So a catback can fit.

This is the magnaflow o/r x with a maganpack catback. Sounds amazing.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hxDtZFh85c&feature=related"]‪97 Cobra take off‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Nice Mystic! Hmm really now? I was wondering what it would sound like with the stock catback. Any sound clips by any chance? Would really appreciate it! Well if I like the magnaflow o/r x with the stock catback (for now) than I shall get that and than change out my rims to some black terminator rims that are 17x9 instead of black bullitts that are 17x10.5. So a catback can fit.

This is the magnaflow o/r x with a maganpack catback. Sounds amazing.
‪97 Cobra take off‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks! No sound clips but a few of the guys I cruise with are convinced I did a catback as well. Not too load for everyday but screams wot. I was really impressed with magna flows quality as well. You can always add a cutback later if you aren't happy.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
^^^When I installed my o/r X I still had my stock catback in place and it had a nice sound to it also, my friends thought I had welded in a set of mufflers as well but that wasn't the case.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks! No sound clips but a few of the guys I cruise with are convinced I did a catback as well. Not too load for everyday but screams wot. I was really impressed with magna flows quality as well. You can always add a cutback later if you aren't happy.

Welcome. Really now? Yah magnaflow has an amazing sound and quality. I've been longing for a magnaflow exhaust since the old days of driving a GT. Now that I have the Cobra I have to do magnaflows! hmmm I'm not much of a loud raging exhaust type of guy. That's why this has been such a hard decision for me. I love to hear other mustangs with off road pipes but I'm not to sure I want to listen to that everyday I drive my car. I drove my GT with a catted X pipe last night and I found that quite audible (was night time though). Although it produces a lot of drone due to flows ha. So I'm really curious as to how the off road x with stock cat back sounds.

^^^When I installed my o/r X I still had my stock catback in place and it had a nice sound to it also, my friends thought I had welded in a set of mufflers as well but that wasn't the case.

That sounds great! No clips on youtube with a magnaflow x pipe and stock CB though. 2 people so far on that idea.
tell hell with the cat back. magnapacks and dump em....

Haha dumps sound great but I'm not really into them as I like to have pipes out the back. Thanks though.

This exhaust decision is killing me! lol. I love hearing catless exhausts but I'm not sure I want to be that loud everyday ha. My old GT was waaaay to loud so I opted for a catted x pipe to tame it down and I was quite pleased with that. I absolutely love the sound of a magnaflow off road x with a magnapack catback though it is loud, yet quiet for an o/r x. And I'm looking at catted exhausts and they sound just about right speaking in decibels haha. So far the UPR catted with a bassani catback sounds amazing! I love that sound! Other than that the others I've heard are the bbk catted x and h with flows and the bassani catted x with flows and they kind of sound the same the bbk being raspier/louder. And I don't want either of those, I did that on my GT and don't want that anymore. SLP LM2 sounds amazing just the catback itself, I haven't heard it paired with a catted x pipe. Also svtlurch's exhaust is catted and sounds great! Bassani catted X with magnapacks. Wish it was on youtube so I could listen to it again. Decisions, decisions. And another problem is my damn tires rub the tail pipes. So I'm assuming a bigger sized cb is gonna rub as well. And the bassani cat back is freakin expensive! $705 for a stainless steel cat back, better come with an iPhone 4!! lol. Sorry I'm ranting now haha

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Just took the family for ice cream tonight in the Cobra. Wife suggested we take the stang and no complaints on being too loud. Now cat less can sometimes give a slight exhaust/gas smell but otherwise I figure you have nothing to lose. Try the o/r, add cutback later if you are not happy, if too loud add some magna flow cats. Take the $5-600 you save and mod some more. I'm pretty conservative, won't be too loud.

Even my doctor commented on how good it sounds! I was rolling thru the supermarket parking lot one day lol. I'm all for bang for the buck. Save on the cat back and do headers or gears instead....

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Just took the family for ice cream tonight in the Cobra. Wife suggested we take the stang and no complaints on being too loud. Now cat less can sometimes give a slight exhaust/gas smell but otherwise I figure you have nothing to lose. Try the o/r, add cutback later if you are not happy, if too loud add some magna flow cats. Take the $5-600 you save and mod some more. I'm pretty conservative, won't be too loud.

Even my doctor commented on how good it sounds! I was rolling thru the supermarket parking lot one day lol. I'm all for bang for the buck. Save on the cat back and do headers or gears instead....

Hmm. If she didn't disagree with your exhaust than I guess I have no excuses. Yah I know and sometimes that cat less smell is annoying haha. My friend has a cat less sti and it smells of rich gas haha, smells good though. Yah other than that there isn't a downside besides noise sometimes. I'm sure the o/r x would sound great with the stock cat back not too loud yet audible. That is true I could add cats later if I feel like it, besides I have welding capabilities and 2 welders (just got an aluminum welder :)]. Well that cat back money would probably be a JLT cai, I want to test that cai see if it lives up to what JLT claims. I'd love gears but my tires aren't good enough for that (suminohooks).

Hahaha even the doctor knows what's good! lol. Yah gears will come when I get a new set of tires, which I want by October so I can go to the track; it's not that cold here in October. Probably 80 degrees at night. I'm thinking the X pipe, cai than tires and gears. Oh and can't forget the SHORT SHIFTER! I want to order that asap before college starts in 3 weeks!

Thanks for the help! I think you have convinced me to go with the o/r x from magnaflow:dancenana:

Users who are viewing this thread