First full DIY detail job... In process

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
I am 4 hours in on detailing my friends black 2003 Cobra.

I first washed it with a mix of rain-x car shampoo, Oomph, and dial soap.

I then clay barred the entire car.

After the clay bar, I did a 3 stage buff; 1. Severe swirl remover 2. Swirl and haze remover 3. Fine machine polish. All of which came from Adams Polishes.

...that is where a got to yesterday. I will post pictures as I go but here is a few pictures of the progress.

dfc23b62.jpg

4aec7a99.jpg

6787c5bf.jpg

7a47926c.jpg

87e87299.jpg

f3cd3547.jpg

5ba1f99f.jpg

d66e9798.jpg

0d5bfe45.jpg

Let me know what you think!

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
Still has quite a bit more work on it. That thing had some really bad swirls in it. I just recently bought a kit from Adam's as well, good stuff. By the way where did you get that light you see in the paint? I am trying to find one like it

Evan5469

Established Member
It looks much much better that's for sure. I swear I will never own a black car because of how anal I am when it comes to keeping my car clean. A friend of mine uses all Adam's stuff on his G8 and I'm always impressed with how clean his car is. He swears by it.

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
Still has quite a bit more work on it. That thing had some really bad swirls in it. I just recently bought a kit from Adam's as well, good stuff. By the way where did you get that light you see in the paint? I am trying to find one like it

It is a little Stanley light with a tripod that pops out, but I honestly have no idea where I got it... Haha

It looks much much better that's for sure. I swear I will never own a black car because of how anal I am when it comes to keeping my car clean. A friend of mine uses all Adam's stuff on his G8 and I'm always impressed with how clean his car is. He swears by it.

Yeah I love their stuff. I am ordering more tonigh. t:rolling:

you did a good job, that cobra was trashed. does he use powder shampoo and scuffing pads or something?

Haha no, car just wasn't very well taken care of by the previous owner.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
black is truly frustrating and rewarding all at the same time. ive polished my car put lsp on it until it reflects brighter than the sun, three days later after driving it, it already has some imperfections. ill say washing with ONR has helped keep it looking nicer for longer, that stuff is gonna end up curing diseases one day

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
black is truly frustrating and rewarding all at the same time. ive polished my car put lsp on it until it reflects brighter than the sun, three days later after driving it, it already has some imperfections. ill say washing with ONR has helped keep it looking nicer for longer, that stuff is gonna end up curing diseases one day

What is ONR?

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
you made huge progress on it! looks great. Just detailed mine this week, and I thought I was frustrated with the little bit of swirling since last summer when I detailed it....I had nothing to worry about in comparison.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you're never supposed to use dial, but at least you're making an effort.

Last edited:

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you're never supposed to use dial, but at least you're making an effort.

Dial soap is just heavier duty than other soap, why wouldn't you be able to use that but be able to use degreaser when washing a car?

The dial just helps get grit and grim off that regular car soap can't get off.

Last edited:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Dial soap is just heavier duty than other soap, why wouldn't you be able to use that but be able to use degreaser when washing a car?

The dial just helps get grit and grim off that regular car soap can't get off.

Ehh, I was just going off of my memory of a lot of the pros in here scolding people for it. No big deal though.

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
Well I'm not completely happy with the results so I decided to start over.

I also got some new product!
0a362b51.jpg

RCRAMIE

Established Member
Ehh, I was just going off of my memory of a lot of the pros in here scolding people for it. No big deal though.

It strips wax off so using it in-between waxes is a bad idea. From what I heard correct me if Im wrong I'm just now starting to learn and change from a wash here and there guy to more detail type of cleaning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread