First boat!

bssmith1220

Established Member
Get a bungee anchor rope so you never have to beach it. Keeps the bottom looking good. They also make dock lines too.
I saw something about those but no real explanation. Care to elaborate how they work? It’s my first boat so I no almost nothing at this point.

coposrv

Established Member
Good point here. They aren't like a traditional boat where you can cut the power and still have some steering control. If those jets arent turning, there is no steering

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Twin engines with independent shifters I don’t touch the wheel until almost out of the marina. I can spin us 180 in gear at idle speed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I cant wait to hear how it is. I have been looking at getting rid of our pontoon boat and getting one of these.

beau t

Established Member
My wife keeps a blanket on the boat so if we get out early or come off late she can stay warm, this is more for the spring or end of summer days. If you or your wife are backing the boat into the water and aren't used to backing trailers practice putting the boat in different spots backing it in before going to the lake,( this is more for everyone else behind you so your not getting cussed at the landing lol).

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I saw something about those but no real explanation. Care to elaborate how they work?

Sure, as you slowly ease up to the dock or beach you simply drop the anchor about 50' out and continue on in. Tie up at the dock or ease up to shallow water to unload, through another anchor on the beach and the bungie will pull the boat back off the beach or dock. That will allow the boat to float in deep enough water so it does not scratch the bottom while sitting on sand, rocks etc.
Anchor Buddy - Greenfield Products

macworld

Established Member
And dont be a girl, power load and unload...not of that back it in and drag it off with the rope crap

Yeah- this outlook creates “that guy” at the docks. We have seen 5 boats down here get jacked up because of ego. It takes the same amount of time to use the winch on the trailer and get it right every time as it does to “power park” it. Too many things can go wrong doing it that way unless you are just a pro.

Last edited:

stvdman

Established Member
we go out on a 242 limited S a lot out here in the Gulf.. Best advice I can give you, is get lots of practice with jet engines, there is a delay. Practice loading and unloading. Ensure you know how to install the strainers correctly. ENSURE YOU HAVE LIFEJACKETS!!! Always Always Always.. Please for the love of god have life jackets. I'm a SAR coordinator for the CG and I'm still amazed how many people don't do that.. Have fun

Fellow Coastie!
On another note: Dont forget the plug the first time you drop her in the water at the boat ramp.....;)

Machdup1

Established Member
Welcome to the jet boat club. They are great except at low speed, then they don’t handle like a normal prop boat, especial in reverse. If it has lateral thrusters learn how to use them. I think jetboatpilot.com has a good chart on their use.

Also at low speed go to neural , perform the steering correction, bump the throttles until you are going the correct direction, then throttles to neutral and coast, then bump again as needed.

If you embrace its capabilities, it handles very well, if you treat it like a prop boat, you will be lost.

Machdup1

Established Member
Fellow Coastie!
On another note: Dont forget the plug the first time you drop her in the water at the boat ramp.....;)
Actually he should have a drain plug (for whic there should be two spares on board, that cost about $10 a piece, mine was way to easy to cross thread) and two clean out plugs.

If the clean out plugs aren’t in, the boat won’t sink, but it won’t accelerate on to plane.

But yeah, If you forget the drain plug, you will sink the boat.

He should also lubricate the o-ring on the plugs after each trip with silicon based lubricant or it will leak.

The other thing most people find confusing is turning on the radio with the engine off. The sequence is blower off, assessory battery on, start battery(get you home battery) off and then touch any key on the connext to turn the electronics on.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget to remove the transom straps "if you have them" before backing down the ramp. You will not come off the trailer.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I picked up this 2020 Yamaha AR240 this weekend for some family fun. We’d been looking for about a year half heartedly and then Yamaha came out with some crazy deals for May that made it make sense sooner than later. It’s my first boat so if anyone has any tips or must have accessories let me know! View attachment 1643872

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The new 2020 models have basically a little Keel near the jets right? That's what Yamaha seems to tout on their website and reviews anyways. Supposed to improve low speed maneuverability quite a bit. Can you confirm? I'm considering the 2020 24' Yamaha's as well.

bssmith1220

Established Member
The new 2020 models have basically a little Keel near the jets right? That's what Yamaha seems to tout on their website and reviews anyways. Supposed to improve low speed maneuverability quite a bit. Can you confirm? I'm considering the 2020 24' Yamaha's as well.
It does have the “articulating keel” as Yamaha calls it. This is the only boat I have experience with so I can’t speak to anything but this. It does handle pretty well at low speeds to me but I know nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread