First big ride just as week away! Will I live to tell about it?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
As some of you already know I bought a 2001 Service Honda CR500AF to go riding with my buddies up in Michigan when I visit. Since the majority of the riding will be trail versus track I needed to make some changes on the bike to make it a bit more suitable for the task.

I've added a 15-oz weight to the flywheel to soften the hit a bit and switched over to a hydraulic clutch for better control and an easier pull. I just received my custom head with the compression release and that's going on next. I also dumped the little tiny MX gas tank and moved up to a 3.7 gallon tank. Frame space is getting cramped with that big ass tank and motor wedged in a 250 frame.

I also added all new plastics and updated to a Ronnie Mac 69 PBR graphics package.

Bought me a couple cans of VP T2 and I think once the head is on I'm ready to go. Next question is..... How long will a 60 year old who hasn't ridden in 40+ years survive on this screaming death machine? :ROFLMAO:

U.M.

CR500AF.jpg

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Not going to put on handguards on for trail riding?

Edit: Is that a cable going through the front wheel? Have to restrain the beast even when stored :ROFLMAO:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Not going to put on handguards on for trail riding?

Edit: Is that a cable going through the front wheel? Have to restrain the beast even when stored :ROFLMAO:
No handguards for this ride. All of our riding this trip will be on state owned ORV trails which are maintained at a minimum of 50 inches wide. However my hands will still be unprotected from the roost my buddies will undoubtedly be showering me with. However they better watch out if I am in front of them! That new Hoosier knobby cuts a pretty mean row in the earth's crust if you get my drift. ;)

That would just be an extension cord. :) However it does get a high security chain and lock assembly run through the frame and secured to a wall support at night. You never know...

I'll be sure to post some pictures before I head out into the woods on Friday. Just as a remembrance and all.

U.M.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say day one's gonna be a blast, day two you'll wish you would have brought more Advil.
Be sure to post the up the Go Pro vids. ;) ATGATT

beau t

Established Member
A guy that rode with us took the muffler/silencer/arrestor (whatever you want to call it) off of a 250 and put on his 500 to soften the hit of his beast, said it made it have more usable power, so if the heavier flywheel doesn't tame it down enough that may be an option to help out.
EDIT- If the suspension is set up right and you let the bike do the work you should be able to ride all day but you will be sore for a couple days after
best of luck and be safe.

jshen

Established Member
I've owned about every bike imaginable..from 1970 up to 1986, Now retired I am too old and drivers of cars too crazy...Good luck on your trip.

Users who are viewing this thread