First Attempt at Photographing Lightning

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
As I have stated numerous times in the past few days I just picked up a Nikon D40 and have been using it a lot. I love this camera. Well Sunday night a thunderstorm was coming through so I quickly grabbed my camera and my tripod and set up.

I just set the camera on bulb and pointed it at one section of the sky and held the shutter. After about 40 minutes and sitting there I only ended up with one shot of lightning.

I know all the houses and street lights take away from the lightning but I didnt want to drive out of town cause I just waxed the mustang.

This is my first attempt and since I live in Texas I will have plenty more opportunities for more.

What do u think. Anybody else have pics they have taken?

D40-124.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very cool pic! Whewn you say you held the shutter for 40 minutes, did you use a remote? I just can't imagine holding it that long without your finger getting numb. LOL! I ask because I'm just getting into DSLR cameras and stuff like this intrigues me.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Very cool pic! Whewn you say you held the shutter for 40 minutes, did you use a remote? I just can't imagine holding it that long without your finger getting numb. LOL! I ask because I'm just getting into DSLR cameras and stuff like this intrigues me.

No I didnt hold the shutter for 40 minutes. I sat outside trying to take pictures for 40 minutes. Sorry if my wording is a little confusing.

I held the shutter for about 10 seconds then the lightning struck and I released the shutter and this is what I came up with.

This pic is straight from the camera. No alterations besides resizing it.

Thank you to everyone for all the compliments. :thumbsup:

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Wow im kinda surprised everyone likes the streetlight. I thought it mighte take away from the pic since the lightning strike isnt that big. Thanks again.

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
Nice shot I bought a d40x about 3 mths ago and love it you may look into getting a remote for it. They only cost like 13.99 on amazon.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Nice shot I bought a d40x about 3 mths ago and love it you may look into getting a remote for it. They only cost like 13.99 on amazon.

haha its funny you say that. I just ordered a remote a few hours ago from amazon. It will be here friday:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread