first attempt at brakestand

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
tapout - aren't you getting wheelhop when you do this? I know I just mash my throttle when it's cold out and it hops like a mofo...

Stitch

Established Member
tapout632 said:
Solid Stang I tried it and it worked good. The heel/toe is much easier. One thing though, when you're done with the burnout do you just apply your left foot back on the clutch and balance it out so you move forward while letting go of the brake?

Once you got the wheels spinnin, there is no reason to touch the clutch again until you're done. Once your done, let off the brake and ride out the spin while moving forward. Again modulating rpms to make sure you don't hit the rev limiter. (Again not touching the clutch, it is still fully engaged) You can let off the gas easy and just let traction catch up, or keep on it and take off.

Another option is once your done, and if you time everything right, push the clutch in, let off the gas and the brake. You should only move forward a bit but its a bit of a shock to the drivetrain. Usually you only do this if you cannot move forward, which then means you probably shouldn't be doing a burnout anyway.

hmm today i tried doin burn outs i actually tried the steps you provided solid stang but i kept gettin wheel hop...any idea why? for example....i let go off of the clutch while my feet is on the throttle givin it 5,000 RPM but the car would move forward (even with my heel on the brake!) and eventually the car would lower in RPM no matter how hard i push the throttle......so i had to step on the clutch to prevent me from dying out....

is coldness a factor in this because it was pretty cold.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
nikemason said:
hmm today i tried doin burn outs i actually tried the steps you provided solid stang but i kept gettin wheel hop...any idea why? for example....i let go off of the clutch while my feet is on the throttle givin it 5,000 RPM but the car would move forward (even with my heel on the brake!) and eventually the car would lower in RPM no matter how hard i push the throttle......so i had to step on the clutch to prevent me from dying out....

is coldness a factor in this because it was pretty cold.

Probably too much brake.

God

Established Member
took advantage of the sun, decided to roast these before i put my 10.5's on

clicky :coolman: :coolman:

God

Established Member
yeah i know im still trying to get the hang of it, that was probably the second breakstand ever in the car :beer:

Matt A said:

Whoa... Stock tire burn out? That is a ****ING SICK BURN OUT!!! Did you follow the steps Solid Stang gave to do that? :bowdown:

Damn I love how there is still smoke even after you start driving... It's always like that right?

Stitch

Established Member
nikemason said:
Whoa... Stock tire burn out? That is a ****ING SICK BURN OUT!!! Did you follow the steps Solid Stang gave to do that? :bowdown:

Damn I love how there is still smoke even after you start driving... It's always like that right?

What gear were you in?

I have some clips where I did what I said in my old 00 V6. I did move forward at first, but found that I could press the brake much harder and stop from moving forward. Its a strange sensation but do not be afraid to press on the brake more. If you start to let the rpms drop too much, inertia and friction will work against you and you will bog. Start with 1st gear as it will be easiest to get a burnout started. You won't pick up as much speed though so don't expect a huge cloud of smoke. Rpm's will vary but try to keep them around 5500 to 6500 but off the rev limiter. You will hit the rev limiter the first couple of times. No biggie, just don't keep doing it.

Wheel hop could be caused by any number of factors. The IRS itself, tire/road conditions, tire traction, etc.

For newbies at this, try doing this after a light rain. The wet roads will help get you started and get you used to 'how' to do it and then make adjustments for different traction conditions.

Stitch

Established Member
Matt A said:

Odd, Clutch shouldn't have been burning unless the tires were grabbing too hard. If your clutch was out all the way (you weren't purposely slipping it) then that could be a sign of the stock clutch getting old. Bad thing is, once a clutch burns like that, you get rolled up pieces of melted clutch between the disc and pressureplate/flywheel. That could cause chatter, even worse performance, and flywheel damage.

How does "burning the clutch" happen? Just so I can prevent doing it. Is that while you're on the brake you still step on the clutch?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
nikemason said:
How does "burning the clutch" happen? Just so I can prevent doing it. Is that while you're on the brake you still step on the clutch?

If you are doing a stand still and you apply too much brake to where the rear brakes start to grab hard enough your rear tires will be harder and harder for the engine to turn and that power has to go somewhere so next in line is your clutch.

Blown01

Established Member
Solid Stang said:
I've found the easiest way is to follow these steps. (Practice in an empty parking lot, not the track. Too much pressure there)

1. Clutch in, car in 1st gear.

2. Position the heel of your right foot over the brake, then rotate your leg to that your toes are over the gas pedal.

3. Push your heel down but do not press on the gas yet, keep your clutch foot in. Get a feel for how far down you can push the brake pedal without pushing on the gas.

4. Now with your heel still on the brake, practice giving the car a few revs. Then see if you can hold an rpm (3500 - 4000).

5. Now, when you think you're ready, with your heel on the brake, toes on the gas, revs at 4000 or so, bring the clutch up quickly, but do not pop the clutch as you can get bounce back. Just bring your left foot up.

6. The tires will break loose and you will start to go forward, no biggie, push down on the heel of your right foot a bit until it stops, at the same time, monitor your rpms to make sure you don't hit the rev limiter. 5-6000 rpms is fine and will give you a nice burnout.

7. At the track, there is no need for street tires to touch the water box, if anything that will hurt your launch because even with a burnout, you will still have residual water in your treads.

8. No more then 2-3 seconds is necessary to warm up the tires. You may have some smoke but that's not purpose of this.

Hope this helps.

Why would you do all that?

The way to do a burnout simply is as follows.

Put the car in first or 2nd gear.

Rev the car to 5k, DUMP the clutch then move your foot over to the brake quickly from the clutch, and just hold it there.

Its so simple, heel toe is not needed.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
DAMNIT GUYS! How hard is it to do a burnout? Here are the CORRECT steps to doing a perfect burnout:

1.Find an area of road with as much traffic as possible. Heat from fellow automobiles loosens your tires grip on the asphalt. They also serve as gaurd rails in case you lose control of your automobile.
2. Turn on cd player to one of the following Tire Burning Association of America 's accepted prerecorded tracks for roasting:
-Nightrider's theme song
-"Hey Little Cobra" by the Rip Chords
3. Turn heater on full blast. Sweaty hands improve your shifting ability.
4. Put your left foot half way on the gas and push in the clutch with the other half. Put your right foot in the passenger glove compartment.
5. Put the car in reverse or 5th gear.
6.As the chorus to "Hey Little Cobra" amps up...

"Spring little Cobra getting ready to strike
Spring Little Cobra with all your might
Spring little Cobra getting ready to strike
Spring Little Cobra with all your might"

...slowly let off on the glove compartment and floor it.

7.Enjoy your healthy burnout and/or transmission damage.

OR you could just mash the gas, pop the clutch, and hold the brake. Whichever is easier. ;-)

tapout632

Established Member
I found Solid Stangs way the best and now I'm frequently burning out at the tracks. Dropping the clutch will make the car go forward but if you're already holding the brakes the car will stay in place while the wheels just spin. I find that way better, but to each his own.

Blown01

Established Member
tapout632 said:
I found Solid Stangs way the best and now I'm frequently burning out at the tracks. Dropping the clutch will make the car go forward but if you're already holding the brakes the car will stay in place while the wheels just spin. I find that way better, but to each his own.

The car lurching forward a bit does happen with that method, but never was a problem for me.

In any case, I now have a line lock. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread