first attempt at brakestand

tapout632

Established Member
Had the e-brake on, put it in first gear, revved to about 5k dropped the clutch and applied the brake, I noticed I started hitting redline so I let off the brake and I almost lost control of the car lol it was swerving to the left then right then left once I got control of the car I switched it to 2nd gear and noticed i left a little smoke but it was still bad. Do you switch to 2nd gear while you have the brake and applying gas? I'm trying to learn to do a good proper burn out so I don't look like a fool at the tracks when I warm up my tire. I noticed after I did this little experiment it looked like my car was on fire with smoke cause I went about a quarter mile down the rode and noticed smoke was still coming up under the car. Just looking for a good tutorial on how to properly burn out. Thanks.

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
if you have gears..start out in 2nd gear. if you dont, then start out in first.

rev it up to about 5k (without the ebrake on), pop the clutch, then quickly move your left foot (clutch foot) over to the brake and apply pressure..not so much to slow the wheels down. you should have a little bit of time to do this since your tires will be spinning from popping the clutch.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
e-brake is the rear brakes only. If I have to do it (dr's) I back into the water box and dip the tires, roll ahead about 2 foot, rev to about 5k, act like I'm going to do a real burnout and just hit the brakes. When you say smoke was coming from under the car still, you sure you weren't smoking the clutch??

tapout632

Established Member
The only reason I had the e-brake on is because the car would be rolling so in order for it to be at a complete stop I had put it on. don't think it was the clutch I think the trail of smoke just followed.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
As stated above - the emergency brake is REAR BRAKES ONLY. You do NOT want it on when trying to do a burnout. Not even sort of.

And if you're on street tires, don't bother with a burnout at the track....waste of rubber, clutch, and time.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
DO NOT USE THE E-BRAKE WHILE DOING A BURNOUT. :nonono:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
tapout632 said:
I went about a quarter mile down the rode and noticed smoke was still coming up under the car. . Thanks.

That was most likely your clutch smoking, and not your tires. :bash:

Oh, and do not do it on a hill at all, you need to be on flat ground. Find a parking lot that is empty.

SVTHarry

Banned
YES, the e-brake ONLY locks the rear wheels which will only make it HARDER for u to do a burn out. You do know that ur car is RWD (rear wheel drive) right? :dw:

you know the best way to do it is roll up to the water box and slowly come to a stop but just before the stalling point (without the clutch in) just brake torque it like you would an automatic and then when you are done warmn them up just let of your brake and your gas and roll to the stage. and do it in first gear there is no reason to go to second when just warming your tires up 5 grand in first gear will get them plenty warm. but it is also a common mistake to overheat street tires so try experimenting a little. good luck buddy!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I go around the water box, back up into it and then pull forward alittle. Put it in 2nd gear and rev it up to about 4,000rpms and pop the clutch then put my clutch foot on the brake and hold the burnout for about 5 seconds then let off the brake while giving the car more throttle so I burnout up to the lights. Rev the car up to 6,500rpms and watch for the lights. 3rd yellow, pop the clutch while flooring the throttle. Talk about a rush... :rockon:

tapout632

Established Member
okay thanks for the tips guys, I have street tires now so I'm practicing on these so when I get dr's i wont mess up. practice makes perfect.

Stitch

Established Member
I've found the easiest way is to follow these steps. (Practice in an empty parking lot, not the track. Too much pressure there)

1. Clutch in, car in 1st gear.

2. Position the heel of your right foot over the brake, then rotate your leg to that your toes are over the gas pedal.

3. Push your heel down but do not press on the gas yet, keep your clutch foot in. Get a feel for how far down you can push the brake pedal without pushing on the gas.

4. Now with your heel still on the brake, practice giving the car a few revs. Then see if you can hold an rpm (3500 - 4000).

5. Now, when you think you're ready, with your heel on the brake, toes on the gas, revs at 4000 or so, bring the clutch up quickly, but do not pop the clutch as you can get bounce back. Just bring your left foot up.

6. The tires will break loose and you will start to go forward, no biggie, push down on the heel of your right foot a bit until it stops, at the same time, monitor your rpms to make sure you don't hit the rev limiter. 5-6000 rpms is fine and will give you a nice burnout.

7. At the track, there is no need for street tires to touch the water box, if anything that will hurt your launch because even with a burnout, you will still have residual water in your treads.

8. No more then 2-3 seconds is necessary to warm up the tires. You may have some smoke but that's not purpose of this.

Hope this helps.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I think you were definitely smoking your clutch if it was still smoking a 1/4 mile down the road. My prediction, although its a bad one, is if you do go to the track with some DR's you will probably break a halfshaft unfortunately, unless you keep practicing.

tapout632

Established Member
Solid Stang I tried it and it worked good. The heel/toe is much easier. One thing though, when you're done with the burnout do you just apply your left foot back on the clutch and balance it out so you move forward while letting go of the brake?

Users who are viewing this thread