First and Reverse difficult to engage from stand still

pridemore54

Established Member
So ever since I bought the car, she likes to give me issues going into first and reverse (especially reverse).

From my limited research, it sounds like a clutch cable adjustment issue.

Reasons being that all gears engage fine when engine is off and ignition is turned on. There's also no issue while slowly rolling, at least with first gear that is. There's also no audible noise like gear grinding or chirping from the throw-out bearing.

So my question(s).. does my theory sound correct and how do I go about fixing this? It appears I do not have a firewall adjuster. Trying to see if I have an aftermarket clutch quadrant but I am honestly having a hard time fitting under the pedals to look (I'm not THAT huge or fat, my wide-ish shoulders just will not fit between the seat and kick panel ).

Am I going to need to install a firewall adjuster to fix this or is there a possible way to fix it at the quadrant, assuming it's aftermarket (likely a maximum motorsports unit, if not the factory plastic one)?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

pridemore54

Established Member
Update:

Finally fit my wide ass beneath there and verified I do in fact have the factory plastic quadrant.

On a funnier note, I jammed myself in there just as my girl went inside for something. So as I was by myself and was looking, my lat/shoulder somehow touched the forward/rearward seat adjustment knob and my seat started mercilessly crushing me between it and the kick panel

Started freaking out and looking around like Frank Castle below

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you have diagnosed it properly.

with a stock plastic quadrant, see if the thread linked below helps you. it did with me tremendously. and i didn't even have to modify it as instructed, i was able to just manually tighten up the cable using the info in that thread.

but it's not a good permanent solution. the plastic teeth strip out. so def look into getting an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. best of luck with it!

pridemore54

Established Member
you have diagnosed it properly.

with a stock plastic quadrant, see if the thread linked below helps you. it did with me tremendously. and i didn't even have to modify it as instructed, i was able to just manually tighten up the cable using the info in that thread.

but it's not a good permanent solution. the plastic teeth strip out. so def look into getting an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. best of luck with it!

Thank you for the feedback and link. I'll give that a read at work tomorrow but I will probably end up getting an aftermarket setup to throw in.

Probably gonna grab the Maximum Motorsports stuff unless there's another company to consider that may be a higher quality somehow. From browsing their website here and there, MM seems to know their stuff and I've already got some of their stuff in my suspension.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Update:

Finally fit my wide ass beneath there and verified I do in fact have the factory plastic quadrant.

On a funnier note, I jammed myself in there just as my girl went inside for something. So as I was by myself and was looking, my lat/shoulder somehow touched the forward/rearward seat adjustment knob and my seat started mercilessly crushing me between it and the kick panel

Started freaking out and looking around like Frank Castle below

You aren’t the only one…nor will it be the last time.

Ditch the factory quadrant. They’re junk.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you for the feedback and link. I'll give that a read at work tomorrow but I will probably end up getting an aftermarket setup to throw in.

Probably gonna grab the Maximum Motorsports stuff unless there's another company to consider that may be a higher quality somehow. From browsing their website here and there, MM seems to know their stuff and I've already got some of their stuff in my suspension.
Did they ever upgrade their firewall adjuster to a 2 bolt mount? I got a freaking sound from the firewall on their single bolt adjuster. Swapped brands and never heard it again

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think McLeod makes a firewall adjuster that clicks in place. That's what I'd get. No set screws or jam nuts to deal with.

Get a double hook quadrant from whoever. It's just a chunk of aluminum. I've used Steeda, MM, and UPR. They all work the same. The big thing is to use spacers to line the quadrant up with the cable.

Been there done that with the seat. Makes you know how the dude that got crushed by Christine felt.

pridemore54

Established Member
Did they ever upgrade their firewall adjuster to a 2 bolt mount? I got a freaking sound from the firewall on their single bolt adjuster. Swapped brands and never heard it again
Interesting. I'll look into that to see if anyone else had the same thing.

What brand did you end up going with?

pridemore54

Established Member
I think McLeod makes a firewall adjuster that clicks in place. That's what I'd get. No set screws or jam nuts to deal with.

Get a double hook quadrant from whoever. It's just a chunk of aluminum. I've used Steeda, MM, and UPR. They all work the same. The big thing is to use spacers to line the quadrant up with the cable.

Been there done that with the seat. Makes you know how the dude that got crushed by Christine felt.
Just checked since McLeod has a good reputation for quality as far as I know.

However, as an avid firearms enthusiast.. idk if I can get over the red anodizing. Red ano parts are virtually always cheaply made parts and it'll bother me every time I look at it lmao.

Hopefully the MM one is as easy to install. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get over it lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont remember which brand, its been almost 20 years lol

I do see the MM piece is 2 mounting bolts now.

UPR also has a micro-click piece and it's not red. I'd recommend a micro click as well, that jamb nut can be a real son of a bitch to get your hands on.

As mentioned make sure that quadrant is lined up so you don't chew through the cable and I'd go on YouTube and watch the video from Promotion Powertrain on proper adjustment

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d try lifting up on the clutch pedal and see if you can get a few clicks out of it.

But as mentioned, aftermarket quadrant with stock cable is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

pridemore54

Established Member
Placed an order for the Maximum Motorsports stuff but got an update from them that there's now a backorder for at least a few weeks if not longer.

Gonna cancel that and probably go with the UPR stuff. Gives me a reason to throw some business Beefcake's way for hooking me up with a deal on my exhaust coming in today. Might have to find a couple other things to throw in the cart lol.

Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread