Firewall adjustment question

d-nice

Established Member
I have a Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster with an OEM style non adjustable clutch cable. I've heard that there should be a dime size gap about 1/8 of an inch where the cable and adjuster meet. My question is this true and should the cable have any in and out play in the firewall adjuster?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
There are two schools of thought on that - some folks think there should be a gap, others say the tob is designed as a constant velocity beasring and should always be riding on the fingers with slight pressure.

My own experience is that I get the best performance and most longevity by adjusting it to where it catches in the middle of the pedal. Best of luck with it.

d-nice

Established Member
So your saying that you don't leave that gap? Right now the clutch is catching near the middle of the pedal travel.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
So your saying that you don't leave that gap? Right now the clutch is catching near the middle of the pedal travel.

Yeah me personally, i don't think I keep any gap at the pp. The cable usually feels pretty tight

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Make sure you have plenty of room in front of the car (I do it in my driveway).
Start by adjusting so you can push down the pedal easily with your hand ¼" to ½".
Then, with the engine on, shift into first to see where the clutch engages.
Readjust to your liking.

If your firewall adjuster doesn't have a good stop, after adjusting, mark across the 2 halves so you will know if it moves. Mine has a click-stop so it doesn't move on it's own. Forget the brand, but it was't Steeda or UPR.

Users who are viewing this thread