Finally picked up a Viper...

out99sider

Established Member
I've been a member here for the past 11 years since picking up my 96' Mystic when I was a Freshman in high school. I modded my Mystic up and down , always envisioning myself in a Viper at some point. At 26 years old, I am of the demographic where every one my age seems to be getting engaged, married, and popping out babies. I figured now was the time if any to take the plunge…. into a Viper. I will be keeping the Mystic, letting my brother take care of it because there is no sense in selling it after everything I have put into it.

I have kept tabs on the market for GEN II Vipers by looking on Autotrader and eBaymotors daily to see what people are asking for them and what they are selling for. I managed to find this 99 RT-10 within the hour of the dealership putting it up, before they even uploaded pictures. That afternoon, I placed a non refundable deposit and a week later, I took a one way flight to Nashville to drive her home. She only had 24.5K miles on her when I picked her up in mid September. I have taken her on a few road trips and including the drive home, have racked up about 1500 miles so far. I love this car.

So far I the only thing I had done is tinted all the windows (including 50% on the windshield), added a Bluetooth head unit, and hardwired my V1. The car already had 18" HRE's and aftermarket exhaust of some sort that I can't seem to identify. The only other thing I anticipate doing is adding a MGW short throw. Other than that, she will be a fair weather cruiser, as I have a daily driver.

I encourage anyone in the east coast area looking for a specific car to reach out to RockStar Motor Cars out of Nashville, TN. It was a pleasure working with them and they made me feel like a true VIP during the whole experience. You can check them out here: Used Cars Nashville TN | Used Cars & Trucks TN | Rockstar Motorcars

Lastly, financing always seems to come up being an issue with these cars. Since it is a 99, most banks almost scoffed at the idea of financing a car this "old". One local bank even offered me 2.5 years at 7.5%. No thanks. After looking around, RockStar suggested checking out Southeast Financial Credit Union. After having them run my credit, they financed the car and gave me an incredible rater. They were also incredible to work with. Here they are: Home | Southeast Financial

I know my post is a little long winded but I just wanted to share my experience in case any other members found themselves in the same situation as me. I have really loved being a member of this community and appreciate how everyone from V6 drivers to Google execs can all sit in the same room and share their passion. :beer::rockon:
If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out. I have more pics getting edited but this is all I have for now. Without further ado, here she is:

2i0c8yf.jpg
[/IMG]

27y6745.jpg
[/IMG]

16kub8i.jpg
[/IMG]

kaz109

Established Member
Congrats on getting what you want and worked hard for. Enjoy!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Beautiful Viper OP!

Have fun. I would never finance a 20 year old car though. If I wanted it bad enough, save and pay cash.

Some of us don't have $30k cash just laying around. :poke:

Zemedici

Established Member
Exactly zhisel.

If he can afford the payments, he can afford the car, so don't pull the whole 'if you can't pay cash you can't afford it' nonsense either

Viper looks great OP!!! Beautiful.

CaDDy

Banned
Nice car OP, but I thought blue vipers were the fastest?:rockon:

To the folks commenting about pricing/financing, it's OPs dream car and as he stated, no kids, no huge responsibilities so I think he can afford to buy his Viper. The fact that he went to a credit union (low interest rate on an 'old' car) sweetened the deal too I'm sure.

Enjoy the snake dude!

out99sider

Established Member
Thanks for all the kind words. It's nice to finally do something you have borderline-obsessed over.

Looks good. Just wondering how tall are you? does it have room for someone over 6ft?
I am actually 5'11" but I actually have a buddy that is 6'6" that has a GEN I. He hasn't at any point complained about fitting in it but then again, this same kid used to manage to fit in a S2000

Have fun. I would never finance a 20 year old car though. If I wanted it bad enough, save and pay cash.

Ahh, best for last. I appreciate any input from anyone but I am a little puzzled. I can understand the financial principle that one should not live outside their means. Both my other 10+ year old cars have been paid off for a while. I live with two roommates that make my out of pocket expenses to own my condo less than $250 a month. I have my company 401K that matches annually maxed out. What puzzles me is how someone that is as money conscious as you about spending smart would:

A) Buy a brand new car, a 2014 Viper, being the person to take the biggest hit of depreciation.:shrug: The market for GEN II's has seemed to bottom out, especially being 20 years old and all;-).

B) According to your advice, paying cash for that said 2014 Viper. I know I'm obviously not as financially savvy, but I would assume that you would be better off taking that 110-120K and putting it in investments blowing the 1.99-3% loan percentage rate you would be paying by financing the car out of the water. If I am completely out of line or don't know what I am talking about, I am never above being educated on what I am missing. Thanks in advance. :pop:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread