Finally, motor time!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It's a big day for me, it's been over a month and today I go pick up my shortblock from the machine shop. Over the weekend I'll be finishing up assembly, bolting the 2.9 on, installing it and firing it up with a new AED tune. About time, been suffering from HP withdrawals!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Will do, pics will be for those with lifts as far as install goes. The car was lifted off the motor, going back together the same way, no cherry pickers to worry about.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
dude your gonna love that tune, i just got my update and it flat screams! your car is gonna be a monster.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Made some progress this evening, a lot of it fiddling with ARP fitment. I wasn't aware of the modification to the oil pump pickup standoff, that had to be shortened and opened up on the inside. The washers in the head stud kit didn't fit over the studs so those had to be opened up.

I thought this was cool, my machinist has a super nice balancer that spits out sheets like these:

The lower end is all pretty standard fare, new Ford Racing crank, probably the same as stock.. Manley H-beams with ARP2000 bolts, Manley 10:1 pistons with the MMR red coating which is actually more of an anodize. New Ford stock pump with TSS gears. Boss springs and head gaskets were unobtainium over the counter at work so got them online instead, the gaskets are from the FR Boss 302R head changing kit. Nothing fancy there.

Machine work on the heads to clear the cam followers with OE Boss exhaust cams:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
That can be arranged! I have to say this machinist is just awesome. I've dealt with a bunch of tards in the past, this guy busted it out in a week, everything is tits, he bought a $600 torque plate just for my build. Hell, he got curious about my heads while changing out the springs and threw them on the flow bench for fun. They flow 298 cfm on the intake at .500 lift. He then threw some putty in and they picked up 20 cfm, no grinding. That was all removed before I picked em up, though.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
That can be arranged! I have to say this machinist is just awesome. I've dealt with a bunch of tards in the past, this guy busted it out in a week, everything is tits, he bought a $600 torque plate just for my build. Hell, he got curious about my heads while changing out the springs and threw them on the flow bench for fun. They flow 298 cfm on the intake at .500 lift. He then threw some putty in and they picked up 20 cfm, no grinding. That was all removed before I picked em up, though.

wow, 298 cfm is impressive. Gotta love technology. Its hard to find a good/honest machinist so if this guy did good by you then I'll probably use him if/when my motor craps the bed. How much did he charge you for his part of the work(you can PM it if you dont want to say on here).

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
wow, 298 cfm is impressive. Gotta love technology. Its hard to find a good/honest machinist so if this guy did good by you then I'll probably use him if/when my motor craps the bed. How much did he charge you for his part of the work(you can PM it if you dont want to say on here).

Well, dollars are an important part of any build thread for those wondering what all this costs. I have seen people say they can do a forged bottom end for 2 grand, I wish. The machine shop bill was about 1700, that includes torque plate bore and hone .005", clean all parts, machine heads for followers, balance, line hone mains after stud install. Swap springs and seals, gap rings and assemble short block. .005" deck on the heads, cut the flywheel the same amount. Probably a few other line items too, the receipt's not in front of me. The parts list was about 3500.

2011 5.0, yeah the build looks pretty similar except for one big difference: Livernois makes everything around here look redneck, that is one hell of a nice shop!

BAD GT

Established Member
Well, dollars are an important part of any build thread for those wondering what all this costs. I have seen people say they can do a forged bottom end for 2 grand, I wish. The machine shop bill was about 1700, that includes torque plate bore and hone .005", clean all parts, machine heads for followers, balance, line hone mains after stud install. Swap springs and seals, gap rings and assemble short block. .005" deck on the heads, cut the flywheel the same amount. Probably a few other line items too, the receipt's not in front of me. The parts list was about 3500.

2011 5.0, yeah the build looks pretty similar except for one big difference: Livernois makes everything around here look redneck, that is one hell of a nice shop!

Your build is looking good, cant wait to see some numbers.:beer:

Bud

Established Member
I'm seeing a pattern here with silver 2012's. At least only one of these will be riding high in the front after this weekend :beer:

20120804115807680.jpg

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I'm seeing a pattern here with silver 2012's. At least only one of these will be riding high in the front after this weekend :beer:

20120804115807680.jpg
Ive always said silver was the least reliable color. Thanks for verifying that for me:beer:. Cant wait for these 2 to be done. Fastest auto AND 6spd coyotes in Colorado once a again. I guess I should get to basking in the light at my car being faster for the time being:D

sncbluegt

Established Member
Ive always said silver was the least reliable color. Thanks for verifying that for me:beer:. Cant wait for these 2 to be done. Fastest auto AND 6spd coyotes in Colorado once a again. I guess I should get to basking in the light at my car being faster for the time being:D

Second place on that one too buddy :)

Users who are viewing this thread