Finally making progress...

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
So I just wrote out this whole thread and then somehow closed the window. :mj:. Anyway, as none of you will remember, I had a mishap with my motor last April when I hydrolocked the dumb thing on I-95 doing 40mph.:mj:

Here are the damage pics:

Holeintheblock.jpg

newVSold.jpg

And here is the car that it came out of:

IMG_1068-1.jpg

So I bought a new block (obviously) and heads, JE SRP pistons, the Manley H-beam rods seen above, ARP head and main studs, all new gaskets and seals from Federal Mogul, high performance main and rod bearings from Federal Mogul and that's about it. I'm finally making progress after over a year!!!

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

I'm really excited about getting this thing built. It will be basically a brand new engine when I get finished. The valve-train is still stock but I have had the valve seals replaced. Oh and a big thank you to "na svt" for suggesting this book:

IMG_1222.jpg

It has been invaluable. Questions and comments please! Oh and it's bored .020 over :thumbsup:

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
I'm no rookie when when it comes to working on cars. I used to work for a shop and I've done head gaskets, turbo stuff, etc. Been working on my cars for 7 or 8 years now. The shop I used to work at is letting me use the warehouse behind it to put the motor back together and I can get advice from the guys that have done this shit before. But yes, this is my first complete rebuild. I'm going slow and making sure I do it right. Thing turns over great when you turn it by hand.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
That's a good book. I have that book, as well as Sean Hyland's and I prefer it over Sean Hyland's. To be fair though, an overwhelming majority of the content is exactly the same.

Looks really good!

Last edited:

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Thanks. I'm hopefully going to have the long block sealed up and done today. Then I just need to put on my intake, accessories, etc. I'll get more pics up after today's progress!

crazycarlo

Established Member
Hey what part of SE GA? Im in sav and hydrolocked my motor a while back but broke another motor i put in there. Im getting ready to build my motor and I also have that book lol.

94venomV8

Established Member
What exactly was this book helpful with in general, I am debating buying it. I have done numerous motor builds and stuff but my shortblock is already going to be assembled and dont really know that I need a book when all I have to do is bolt on the heads.

crazycarlo

Established Member
If youve worked on motors and all before and u feel competent then it might not be for you esp if the shortblock will be done. I bought it with the intentions of using it and the haynes manual to rebuild my shortblock. It has alot of helpful tips in there like i.e. Since there is no distributor i didnt know before that in order to prime the oil pump you fill it up with assembly lube. Most of the info in the book is for 2V's but it still applies alot of the time.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
crazycarlo said:
Hey what part of SE GA? Im in sav and hydrolocked my motor a while back but broke another motor i put in there. Im getting ready to build my motor and I also have that book lol.

I'm going to school in Statesboro, but I live on Saint Simons.

The book is awesome because it has an easy step-by-step guide from tear down to rebuild. It has all torque specs and shows everything clearly and in detail.

Ok, so how it got hydrolocked... well, it was a very rainy day and I was on the way back to Statesboro from Saint Simons. There has been road construction near the Brunswick exit of I-95 for years, but at this time, there were concrete barriers on both sides of the road. I was going very slow (about 40 mph) as it was raining at a pretty good clip. I blame everything on this:

cobraengine.jpg

That intake goes down behind the passenger side wheel. I hit a little puddle and that was all she wrote.

Here are some more progress pics:

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

Yay...

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Powdercoating is not in the budget right now, neither are long tubes. I've been using Duplicolor Engine Enamel to paint the parts that you can see have been painted. I hope it stands up to the heat and everything...

Users who are viewing this thread