finally made the switch to 3.73's on my N/A Coyote

okc12silvergt

Established Member
Well I switched finally fromm 3.31's to 3.73's:pepper: Car feels great diffently a great mod for anybody staying N/A. From a 40 roll the car pulls harder than before. Now cant wait till tomorrow go to the track on my 28inch tall DR's and try and get my 11 sec pass. My mods btw are full JBA exhaust, JLT CAI, Boss intake manifold, 91 oct datalogged tune by Don Capak. My only complaint is I do have a pretty noticeable whine from the gears on deceleration. It only does it on decal. Im gonna eventually buy FRPP 3.73's and the guy who installed them said that should get rid of the whine. He's a certified Ford tech at Bob Howard Ford here in OKC.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
Well I switched finally fromm 3.31's to 3.73's. My only complaint is I do have a pretty noticeable whine from the gears on deceleration. It only does it on decal. Im gonna eventually buy FRPP 3.73's and the guy who installed them said that should get rid of the whine. He's a certified Ford tech at Bob Howard Ford here in OKC.

FRPP gears can make noise too. I had noise when decelerating with FRPP 3.73's.
It was annoying but I got used to it after a while.

Last edited:

Fredxin

Established Member
it's a common problem for 3.73 gear. I had mine replaced by Ford dealer earlier because of the humming noise, even the new one still has noise on desel. Now after few trips to the drag strip & race track the noise gets louder again. I even put Dynamat on the trunk and back seat. Still hear a lot of noise. But again I believe its mainly cause by DSS Driveshaft...

ajpturbo

Established Member
it's a common problem for 3.73 gear. I had mine replaced by Ford dealer earlier because of the humming noise, even the new one still has noise on desel. Now after few trips to the drag strip & race track the noise gets louder again. I even put Dynamat on the trunk and back seat. Still hear a lot of noise. But again I believe its mainly cause by DSS Driveshaft...

It's the gear install not the DSS shaft.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
^ THIS...I had 3.73s in my last car (2012 5.0L NA w/MPSS) could never get traction off the line. My buddy in his 3.31 car would leave me all the time.

Got a new 2014 w/3.31 and I will stick with those! I still lose traction on the MT Street Comps too!

BPatterson

Established Member
OP has a Boss manifold on his car, and is a 6-spd. It's the absolute worst combination out there. An M6 Boss car needs at least 3.73's.

kingnut

Established Member
I think 373s are perfect for a completely stock 5.0. but If I were adding boost or any power mods I would switch to 331's. for a street car that is.

Last edited:

ajpturbo

Established Member
Most people come off the line way to hard with too much rpm. If I had a stock GT M6 I'd try 4.10 or 4.30. You still would get decent fuel economy as these transmissions have very tall 6th gears.

I'm not even at 2500rpm at 70mph.

Also I've had FRPP, Motive and Richmond gears from 3.55 to 4.30 and NONE of them made noise.

There are tests out there that show more aggressive gears can actually help fuel economy for city driving because you can you less throttle to acclelerate because you get into the power band faster. So it's not automatic that you will loose fuel economy with more aggressive gears.

With 4.10's you are still below 2500rpm at 60mph

nordy racer

Established Member
I had 3.31, 3.73, and 3.55s in my 2012

I have a 2011 now, im sticking with 3.31s

we will see how they turn out in my car in about two weeks at a rental. hoping with the CJ intake and 7900 shift point that my auto stays in 3rd gear on the top end.

ajpturbo

Established Member
You don't like?

I think my car felt like a dog with thye 3.73 when it was stock. Now it's ok with the turbos.

Even with 3.73's when it was stock you couldn't do anything on the highway in 5th and 6th.

Why would they gear a 420hp car for well over 200mph?

When I'm at the track with 640whp on street tires(285/30/20) I turn 1.80 60' I come off at 2k rpm and floor it. I barely spin in 1st then I'm wide open in 2nd and because of the traction compound that's on the track I don't spin...Maybe I'm just good I dunno.

I've seen people with stock 5.0's and they tell me good luck hooking up because they spin and they just have a CAI and Catback.

But most people think they are launching at low rpm but they are watching the tree and drop the clutch at 5000 rpm and blow off the tires.

Even if I had 2.73 gears I would spin on the street.

nordy racer

Established Member
I was hooking with my 4.30 gears at the track with my auto.. she was shifting right outside the 60ft box.

scotmach

Established Member
we will see how they turn out in my car in about two weeks at a rental. hoping with the CJ intake and 7900 shift point that my auto stays in 3rd gear on the top end.
I'll be curious of your findings. What were they with the 4.30's?

Users who are viewing this thread