Finally made it to the dyno...

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
After swapping the stock pulley (to a 2.93) back in Feb. I was finally able to get it to the dyno for a test pull. I was a little concerned about the off-the-shelf-tune in the Hypertech. No fear though, results were 448 hp/ 448 tq at the wheels. Mods are CAI, catback, Hypertech flash tuner and 2.93 pulley. Below are links to the dyno sheet and a pic of the car. As you can see from the graph, the car runs pretty rich. I might try swapping on a 2.80 pulley and keeping the same tune. Looks like I might still have some room to up the boost a little and still maintain a safe A/F ratio.
Here are the links:
graph - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/badgts/cobra.jpg
pic on the dyno - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/badgts/DSCF0002.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First, that is a SWEET Sonic Blue coupe you're got. But that A/F is so messed up I'm wondering if the dyno is to blame. When's the last time they changed their filter? I would use a wide-band and check it yourself. It's just too messed up for me to believe that is a real tune done by someone. Keep us informed.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
CobraBob said:
First, that is a SWEET Sonic Blue coupe you're got. But that A/F is so messed up I'm wondering if the dyno is to blame. When's the last time they changed their filter? I would use a wide-band and check it yourself. It's just too messed up for me to believe that is a real tune done by someone. Keep us informed.
Thanks!
Yeah, I agree...the A/F is not optimal at all. That's what you get with a generic tune I guess. But I don't think the dyno was to blame. They used a wideband for the measurement and I was told that they upgraded to the latest Dynojet software in January. If anything it is most likely the generic Hypertech tune. I just wanted to see if the car was running safe, which it is. Also, I'm not trying to eek out every ounce of performance potential from the car either (note the short list of mods in sig). I'm sure a custom tune would benefit me greatly, but I'm just not willing to spend any more resources in this area...at least not any time soon. Sooner or later I will get the itch again to do some more, but for now I am happy. If anything, I may take a trip back to the dyno and make some comparison pulls both with the stock tune & stock pulley and again with the Hypertech 3.00" pulley tune and a 2.80 pulley. :shrug:
BTW, what filter are you speaking of?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Badgts said:
Thanks!
Yeah, I agree...the A/F is not optimal at all. That's what you get with a generic tune I guess. But I don't think the dyno was to blame. They used a wideband for the measurement and I was told that they upgraded to the latest Dynojet software in January. If anything it is most likely the generic Hypertech tune. I just wanted to see if the car was running safe, which it is. Also, I'm not trying to eek out every ounce of performance potential from the car either (note the short list of mods in sig). I'm sure a custom tune would benefit me greatly, but I'm just not willing to spend any more resources in this area...at least not any time soon. Sooner or later I will get the itch again to do some more, but for now I am happy. If anything, I may take a trip back to the dyno and make some comparison pulls both with the stock tune & stock pulley and again with the Hypertech 3.00" pulley tune and a 2.80 pulley. :shrug:
BTW, what filter are you speaking of?
Dynojets have an air filter that has to be regularly changed. If it gets really dirty it can skew the A/F readings. I know because my dyno operator had this very problem with mine one day. I watched him change the filter.

For sure when you get the tune optimized you're going to see some better numbers. So it will only get better!

LCCOBRA

Established Member
:uh oh: Get a custom tune quick as your missing out on rwhp/tq and running pig rich. Any ideas how much timing is in that tune?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
No, don't know how much timing is in the current tune, but that brings up a good point...thanks. Not sure now if trying the 2.80 is a good idea or not. The current timing map might prohibit any more boost regardless of the A/F. I'll have to research that some more... But I could always get the 2.80 pulley anyway and install the 2.80 tune and see if that one is any better than the current one.

Users who are viewing this thread