Finally Installed The Reische 170 Tstat

Stalker27

Established Member
Man this thing really shines it's but off in hot weather

So got up 1st thing this morning to work on the car. As some of you know i put Prestone's Super Cleaner in the radiator to clean the system out & man am i glad i did. What originally came out before i put the cleaner in was rust looking water. Then with everything hooked back up to the Tstat housing minus the the hose that runs from the radiator to the Tstat housing we ran the car with a water hose on the cross over plug until nothing but clear water came out. Then we put in the cleaner & i drove close to 6hrs on that

Fast forward to today. Drained the radiator out, unplugged the lines & more rusty water came out but not quite as bad as the 1st time. I then decided to take off the resivior itself cause it was filthy on the inside. Crud was almost glued to the wall & you really couldn't see where the coolant level was on the side where the "add coolant" line.

So when i was at Autozone this morning getting the two bottles of water wetter, gallon coolant, i decided to get some Greased Lightning Blast with orange power. I've used this stuff before & it will desolve just about anything. 1st i started spraying it into the resivoir knocking that crap off the walls. Then i just poured it inside about half full put the cap back on & shook the shit out of it for a while untill all of that was gone. I have pics for that later. Washed it out & got it throughly clean where nothing but clear water was comming out.

Then i moved on to taking the old stat out & putting in the 170. Got all of that done. Poured in the 3 quarts of anti freeze, put every last drop of the two bottle of water wetter in lol, & put in the distilled water.

Had the gf start the car & watched the coolant temps from the x3. I let it go to 175 degrees then shut it off. I then let it cool off for about an hour & some min cause we had something else to run & do real quick. When we got back i noticed the level in the resevoir was very low. When i filled it up i left about an inch before it said "add coolant".

So opened the cap poured in more distilled water to about an inch below the add coolant line. Opened the crossover plug and cranked the car again thinking well i just opened the cap so i just created an air pocket. So i'll run the car a lil bit with the funnel over the crossover so it can bleed itself. Well we did that then took her out for a spin

This Reische thermostat simply kicks ass no doubt about it :rockon::rockon:
Plugged in the x3 while we were driving to watch the temps & man what a freakin difference. Before my normal temps with my adjusted fan settings with the 180 was pretty much 184-186 degrees give or take while cruzing on the expressway then would shoot up to 196 when i would come to a long stop light then my high speed fan would kick in & drop it down

NOW wit the 170 and me on the xpressway cruizing at 70mph the temp was sitting on 174 for the longest, then got up to 176. Then we turned the ac on & that brought the temps up to only 180 freaking degrees & it is hot here today.

So i am cruzing WITH my ac ON and only getting 180 degrees :dancenana: . That is 4-8 degrees cooler than before

When we came to a stop after driving for 20min the temps went to 188. Then we got going again and came to another stop & the temps went to 194 and that 's where i have my high speed fan to kick on. Got going again in 45mph traffic & dropped back down to 188

Stopped and got some gas, popped the hood & noticed that the coolant resevoir was down again but not as bad as before. Got back on the xpressway and guess what? The temps went right back down 176 to 180 WITH THE AIR ON!!!!!!

Pics of dirty Resevoir:

Before:
Picture259-1.jpg

After:
Picture270-1.jpg

Drained radiator 1st time:
Picture271-1.jpg

AFter cleaner:
Picture260-1.jpg

Having a lil fun:
Picture255.jpg

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Yep, great product. I have typical 183* driving around and when it was 100* outside I was in the low 190* range, but that's unusual. What temps did you set the fan for?

Last edited:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
wow must be nice, i have that t-stat, water wetter, fan settings changed, and i was @ 220* yesterday in traffic. the fan just simply can not keep up no matter what t-stat is used. that is a mod i wish some one would come up with, a fan upgrade!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
couple questions.. THREE Gallons of coolant itself? I run 80% Distilled 20% green coolant with 1 bottle of Water Wetter..
And the 2 bottles of Water Wetter? Not saying this will happen to you but it is known to foam up if too much is in a cooling system!

Stalker27

Established Member
couple questions.. THREE Gallons of coolant itself? I run 80% Distilled 20% green coolant with 1 bottle of Water Wetter..
And the 2 bottles of Water Wetter? Not saying this will happen to you but it is known to foam up if too much is in a cooling system!

Oooops, glad you caught that. I didn't even realize I wrote that. No, I meant to say 3quarts of straight anti freeze. On the water wetter it's really not that big of a deal to run two bottles in there. I run one bottle in the heat exchanger and have had no problems at all. For the h/e i run 1 quart of 50/50, 1 bottle water wetter, and the rest distilled water. Now that Purple Ice isn't so forgiving. That stuff will foam up on you with the quickness lol

Stalker27

Established Member
wow must be nice, i have that t-stat, water wetter, fan settings changed, and i was @ 220* yesterday in traffic. the fan just simply can not keep up no matter what t-stat is used. that is a mod i wish some one would come up with, a fan upgrade!

I've been to vegas a couple times & know how hot it gets out there. I can understand why your temps run high there. The majority of vegas roads are nothing but 4 lane wide & speed limit is what 55mph tops on those streets & some places lower than that until you jump on the hwy.

I was staying off of Eastern if you happen to know where thats at. I remember the first time i was there i was like damn is it like this the whole way here (talking about the 4 lane roads)

So yeah i can understand what you're going through. Also check out American Muscle. They carry Mishimoto radiators and fan assembly. I know alot of guys here will prob say no need or stay away they will eventually leak.

Maybe so but Mishimoto has a lifetime guarantee with no questions asked. So if it leaks you call AM & they will send you a new one

Also Mishimoto has an enclosed fan assembly which i'm looking into getting along with the radiator eventually

Radiator: Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Mustang Radiator - Manual - (97-04 GT/Cobra/MACH1/Bullitt) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Fans:Mishimoto Dual High Flow 12in Fans w/ Lightweight Aluminum Shroud Kit (97-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Stalker27

Established Member
Ok just got back from a drive and this is what i recorded

Driving at a constant 70mph with cruize control on with the x3 plugged in & watching the coolant temps & iat's with no A/C this time. The coolant temps literally stayed locked at 178. I purposely got behind a truck, maybe 2 1/2 cars behind and watched the temps go up to 180. Got out in clean air where i was by myself & temps went right back down to 178. Got on the ramp to come back home

On the way back i decided to get on it from a 2nd gear roll to the middle of 4th. Before doing so i made sure the temps were on 178 cause i wated to see what they would jump to & how long it would take for them to come back down.

So i got on it good in second, wot 3rd, & wot to the middle of 4th on the xpressway. Got out of it and started cruizing again at 70mph. Looked over at the temps & said 194. But this is what really got me. I looked back over a few seconds later and was already back on 178. So WITHOUT my A/C on i'm already running between 6-10 degrees cooler than the 180 degree stat

This thing is amazing. Another thing i noticed & i know for a fact it's not in my head the car simply ran soooo much smoother in boost in the heat of the day. It's 89 degrees right now with 67% humidity and a heat index of 99 degrees when i did this. My car has NEVER ran this smooth. I know the car is loving me for this

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I've been to vegas a couple times & know how hot it gets out there. I can understand why your temps run high there. The majority of vegas roads are nothing but 4 lane wide & speed limit is what 55mph tops on those streets & some places lower than that until you jump on the hwy.

I was staying off of Eastern if you happen to know where thats at. I remember the first time i was there i was like damn is it like this the whole way here (talking about the 4 lane roads)

So yeah i can understand what you're going through. Also check out American Muscle. They carry Mishimoto radiators and fan assembly. I know alot of guys here will prob say no need or stay away they will eventually leak.

Maybe so but Mishimoto has a lifetime guarantee with no questions asked. So if it leaks you call AM & they will send you a new one

Also Mishimoto has an enclosed fan assembly which i'm looking into getting along with the radiator eventually

Radiator: Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Mustang Radiator - Manual - (97-04 GT/Cobra/MACH1/Bullitt) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Fans:Mishimoto Dual High Flow 12in Fans w/ Lightweight Aluminum Shroud Kit (97-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
The cooling system guru's here say the Mishimoto radiators are JUNK!

Stalker27

Established Member
There no different than Fluidine as they leak as well. But unlike Fluidine Mishimoto has a lifetime waranty that's a no questions asked policy. I don't see where Fluidine or certainly the LFP radiator being any better as they don't have that.

djtyau

Established Member
I had a fluidyne and it leaked from the top which caused me to be stranded on the side of the freeway. I called them and they said they don't warranty the radiator after a year. Sucky product.

Users who are viewing this thread