Finally got tuned

BV600

Established Member
Just saying mud is restriction.= stock air box and paper filter is resriction also.

Maybe you should ask the OP if his car was dyno'd with the hood open and a fan blowing at the engine....

Put the hood down the Factory CAI will suck cold air from outside while the "CAI" sucks engine heat...:beer:

nosscort

Established Member
37rwhp and 44rwtq from intake and tune?

Just asking here was your baseline/stock SAE corrected and your after std/ uncorrected?
Seems like a big if not a lot gain for just the mods?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
37rwhp and 44rwtq from intake and tune?

Just asking here was your baseline/stock SAE corrected and your after std/ uncorrected?
Seems like a big if not a lot gain for just the mods?
Thats what the manufacturers advertise. I was just looking at an American Muscle catalog and the typical cai + tuner (SCT or bama or what ever) = 36+ hp gains from stock. +60hp gain from cai + tune + the boss IM (which also uses a different throttle body).

I'm thinking for 60hp its going to cost over 1k brand new (yes you can get deals but thats the norm). Also its going to be harder to get power from that N/A motor without going FI or nitrous.
What do you have left after the IM + CAI + TB? Cams, long tube headers? After all of that you are spending over $3k (ballpark)

Just go the paxton route (around 6k installed) and be making around 550+ rwhp.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Thats what the manufacturers advertise. I was just looking at an American Muscle catalog and the typical cai + tuner (SCT or bama or what ever) = 36+ hp gains from stock. +60hp gain from cai + tune + the boss IM (which also uses a different throttle body).

I'm thinking for 60hp its going to cost over 1k brand new (yes you can get deals but thats the norm). Also its going to be harder to get power from that N/A motor without going FI or nitrous.
What do you have left after the IM + CAI + TB? Cams, long tube headers? After all of that you are spending over $3k (ballpark)

Just go the paxton route (around 6k installed) and be making around 550+ rwhp.

Best place to get info on gains might be from a company that actually knows what they are doing...wait did I really say that? :D

CAI dyno results have been beat to death for years.

As stated, Dyno your car, with the hood down. I would expect possible power loss since the after market CAIs just start sucking 130+ degree air while the stock box sucks outside air in.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
So the heat shield that comes with jlt blocks no heat??
and it has a rubber seal that goes against the hood. And provisions to pick up at the factory ram air tube beside the radiator.......

BV600

Established Member
I don't know how good that plastic heat shield and rubber would seal the filter away from 200+ degree temps, But I do know that the stocker will always be sucking cool fresh air in from outside. I think the air raid is the only that offers a snorkel connector?

I do believe the JLT or any CAI intake will pick up on a dyno. Now do back to back runs and it will start to just pull in hot air while the Stock will keep it consistent. Just my 2 cents though.

When I had a JLT on my 12' m6 I removed the snorkel system all together and tried to open up the grill area more to get air in there. To me the $350 can be spent else where and always have good results.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I don't know how good that plastic heat shield and rubber would seal the filter away from 200+ degree temps, But I do know that the stocker will always be sucking cool fresh air in from outside. I think the air raid is the only that offers a snorkel connector?

I do believe the JLT or any CAI intake will pick up on a dyno. Now do back to back runs and it will start to just pull in hot air while the Stock will keep it consistent. Just my 2 cents though.

When I had a JLT on my 12' m6 I removed the snorkel system all together and tried to open up the grill area more to get air in there. To me the $350 can be spent else where and always have good results.

I agree $350 to be placed else ware first, just stating a gain is to be had with a cai.
the factory ram air is pretty good.
my intake air temps are close to outside temp on my car riding around today. I just don't think there is enough cfm's in the stock box to allow the engine to breathe properly.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
I can't wait until this spring. Once I break 1,000 miles I'll be getting a Bama 93 octane tune and an Airraid CAI. Planning to do the following:

- Baseline Dyno
- Dyno after Bama Tune only
- Dyno after Airraid CAI and updated Bama Tune

Will all be done on the same dyno, but probably not on the same days. Hopefully it helps put some truth to the CAI being worth it or not.

scotmach

Established Member
I can't wait until this spring. Once I break 1,000 miles I'll be getting a Bama 93 octane tune and an Airraid CAI. Planning to do the following:

- Baseline Dyno
- Dyno after Bama Tune only
- Dyno after Airraid CAI and updated Bama Tune

Will all be done on the same dyno, but probably not on the same days. Hopefully it helps put some truth to the CAI being worth it or not.

Bama? Seriously? :bored:

OneSlowV

Established Member
Depends on what you put on your GTO. But vararam and svede intakes are proven to give aleast 15 hp with the intake along. I run the Steeda on my 5.0 and couldn't be happier with it over the stocker.

scotmach

Established Member
Yea...its a proven "canned" tune. Might not get as good of gains as other tunes (AED or a good dyno tune) but I prefer the "conservative" route.

Conservative? Not at all with the data logs I've seen. Actually they're quite scary.

Users who are viewing this thread