Finally got the Whipple off - how does this look?

adova

Established Member
I finally got this sucker off (it'll be much easier next time) and I thought it looked pretty dirty. Are these pics an indication of anything? Is there anything special I should do before re-assembly? I think I am going to powdercoat the Whipple before I put it back on anyways.

20170218_160758.jpg
20170218_154113.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine wasn't close to that bad! I know my most recent oil separator is working very good compared to the jlt unit.

MG0h3

Established Member
lol...I dont have oneo_O

My car does have a check valve right before the PCV valve though. Ive been thinking about getting a catch can setup but then again I kinda want to know if this thing works.

adova

Established Member
So if I read between the lines, get a catch can and clean this crap up :). Should I soak the IC in some sort of solution? Catch can recommendations?

holiks03cobra

Established Member
It's oil from the pcv system. Just get 3/4 cans of brake clean to clean everything. Some people delete the pcv system to prevent that from happening. I have a JLT pcv pre-filter on each valve cover and a JLT oil separator and my intercooler and lower intake has stayed clean.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I remove cooler from blower when I clean mine..

Wait till it's clean..you will be amazed on new power..

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
lol...I dont have oneo_O

My car does have a check valve right before the PCV valve though. Ive been thinking about getting a catch can setup but then again I kinda want to know if this thing works.
I also have a check valve. I didn't do much with the jlt oil separator.

bssmith1220

Established Member
What's in there other than oil? Water? Coolant? Mine had some oil in those little creases like yours(about half as much) but no water looking stuff. You just spill it in there when taking the blower off?

adova

Established Member
What's in there other than oil? Water? Coolant? Mine had some oil in those little creases like yours(about half as much) but no water looking stuff. You just spill it in there when taking the blower off?

Yea - just a little water and some gas from the fuel rail.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I remove cooler from blower when I clean mine..

Wait till it's clean..you will be amazed on new power..

You could feel a power difference? I know in theory it cools better without that oily mess but I've yet to feel a seat of the pants difference in any of the cars I've cleaned.

OP that's entirely normal. Obviously the fluids in the lower cooler were spilled when removing the blower. The only way to not get that oily mess again is to delete the PCV system. Catch cans will slow it down but it still happens, just takes much longer.

You can spray cans of carb cleaner through the intercooler (removed from the blower) and let running water from a garden hose gently flush it out between cans. Usually takes about 5 cans. My preferred way is to soak the intercooler in a bucket and agitate once in a while. Easier and comes out looking like brand new.

btw this is exactly why my PCV system is deleted.

adova

Established Member
You can spray cans of carb cleaner through the intercooler (removed from the blower) and let running water from a garden hose gently flush it out between cans. Usually takes about 5 cans. My preferred way is to soak the intercooler in a bucket and agitate once in a while. Easier and comes out looking like brand new.

So are you soaking it in the brake cleaner from the aerosol cans just sprayed into a bucket or did you get a liquid version? Or soak in something else like acetone?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah that's a good amount of oil, I had a decent amount of oil in my intake when I did my TVS swap. So I just delete my PCV system and went to valve cover breathers.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So are you soaking it in the brake cleaner from the aerosol cans just sprayed into a bucket or did you get a liquid version? Or soak in something else like acetone?

A diluted solution of simple green in warm water works pretty good.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Great - I will look at the PCV delete - I should be able to find a how to on here somewhere...

There is a port/plug at the bottom of the lower intake that needs capped off, so make sure to plan for the PCV delete while the blower is off the car. Just plug the lower, remove the hoses, install two breathers, done. Basically anyways.

nxhappy

Established Member
clean that shit with purple power ! and yea, get a catch can lol.

Users who are viewing this thread