Finally got a "round 2 it"

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Hey Guys, Well I finally got-er-done. Engine went in last month, broke it in, cruised woodward, drove to Texas and back, and FINALLY got it out to Milan dragstrip last night.

First I want to personally thank "Bird". He helped me GREATLY when I was out on a limb.. and it broke. Thanks Walt!

Some of you newbs don't know me. I was in the Lightning scene back when I bought the truck new. I was just like some of you.. bolt on after bolt on until I was in the 11s. Right at about 4 years ago I was running 11.70-11.80s on a 100shot and ET streets. Ran a best of 12.67 in street trim off nitrous.. and a best of 13.2@106 in full weight street trim (just as I ran last night).
Well.. my intentions of wanting a built motor didn't really match my wallets ability to pay for it. (such is life for a "car guy" huh?)
I spent right at $7k and did as much engine work as I could myself.
The engine is fully blueprinted, fully balanced down to 0.0g (yes.. all parts are "perfect"), long block is good for 7200rpms, and will support 800hp at the crank. Fox lake heads, ARP everything, ect... Going to keep it on a 4lb lower and ported eaton. Making up for the rest of the 800hp is a direct port nitrous system I designed for racetested.

This engine project took me a long time but I compromised nothing in spite of the cost and time. I'm a all or nothing kind of guy. Hense my screen name "wydopnthrtl" (wide open throttle) which I think applies to all aspects of life.

Turn up your speakers and check out my web page HERE and HERE

Anyway the results of my first outing since the build up.

The truck sits exactly like it did two weeks ago when I drove it on vacation. (except for an oil-change)
Tonight I ran it at full weight w/hitch, spare, ect..., a 4lb lower pulley, stock iron exaust manifolds, stock cats, and the all season SUV tires. Had a splash of 100octane unleaded and the timing bumped up 5deg on my daily driver tune.

Best of the evening was: 12.55 @ 108.70mph Most runs were 12.65-68 at 108.1xmph

I've got to go on two out of state trips over the next four weeks. But *I hope* to get the 6lb pulley on, remove all the weight, and get it back out to the track before they close for the year. If it'll hook I think it's got a 12.2-12.3 in it on these tires. I think with a 100shot as-is I'm easily right where I set out to be. (11.6-ish in street trim)

1255_at_109.jpg

Regards,

Rich

Last edited:

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
What ?????? You came down to Tx and didn't stop by ???? Next time, give me a call if you head down to the San Antonio area and we'll go hit a few places on the Riverwalk.

It's been great to see you getting it back up and running - you've put a lot of work into it and now can enjoy it again.

Bird

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Congrats Rich! The last time we talked you were debating on selling the truck. I'm glad you were able to keep the truck. Going built is definitely a bonus!:thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
This thread is making me feel we are some of the old timers. I couldn't be more proud of these trucks. They are the best!

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
This thread is making me feel we are some of the old timers. I couldn't be more proud of these trucks. They are the best!

you arent kidding.... Ive been around since 02, been a fun ride and learned alot over the years. I remember back when i was stock block, 6lb pulley port and nitrous75 shot. Sure was fun and never blew up. :dancenana::pepper::banana:

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
you arent kidding.... Ive been around since 02, been a fun ride and learned alot over the years. I remember back when i was stock block, 6lb pulley port and nitrous75 shot. Sure was fun and never blew up. :dancenana::pepper::banana:

I believe I got into the game roughly the same time. Yes it has been a good ride. :beer:

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
They are fun. And often times quite supprising to those who don't know...

As soon as I get it where I want it.. 11.6s ought to be my norm street night ETs. :beer:

The only run I was supprised at Fri night was my last one. I ran a avg looking 01-02 TA vert. He had DRs but otherwise looked and sounded avg. I thought it would be fun to whip one.. but that thing jumped me off the line (which didn't supprise me) and then continued to pull me the rest of the run. He went a 12.2 to my 12.6 Hum... I think it's time for the 6lb lower and some weight removal!

Regards,
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread