finally got a new macbook pro

95snake03

Established Member
My old computer was a dell inspiron from like 2004. It was horrible to say the least. The battery died after a year and it was basically a piece of junk the entire time i owned it. Then finally it just died on me. I think the hard drive is screwed up or something. So two months later I broke down and got the Macbook Pro like I had been wanting for awhile. Its pretty sweet sofar besides the price I paid for it. But im hoping it will last me a few years at least.

Any suggestions on what I should do to it first? Mods? lol. Im going to be using it for school so ill have to carry it back and forth everyday. Are there any nice cases to buy for them? Also what is the best virus protection software to use? Or do I even need it? From what I have read it seems like one of the best laptops out there. How does it compare to some of the others? I have the 2.4Ghz I5 processor in it. Its basically just the standard 13" macbook pro. I didnt want a big 17" screen

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
I did the same thing. You will definitely need the Microsoft programs such as word, excel, powerpoint for school.. Congrats!

Wabish

Established Member
I have the speck case you can buy off apple's website. It's been a good case but a couple of the tabs have broken off of it over time. Also, its a good idea to remove the case and clean everything really good every so often.

Also, my school gave out free copies of McAfee Security for all the students. I've only noticed just a couple of times in the 1+ years that I've had it, that it has actually caught something. (not letting me on a page etc.) It's probably not a bad thing to have, but I have no idea how much it is if you were to pay for it.

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
We love our Macbook Pro. It took a bit of time to figure it out. There's a bit of a learner's curve, but it's been WELL WORTH IT...! I absolutely LOVE that for the LARGE, LARGE part, I don't have to worry about friggin' viruses and all that junk with these things!

As for the Macbook Air....my only complaint with that thing is there's no CD drive?!?! So I'm 'ass'uming that you have to utilize an external drive to load any new programming to the thing that can't otherwise be done wirelessly (through the i-net).

Either way, MAC's quality is great. The fit 'n finish is wonderful. We couldn't be happier. I've got the 15.4" screen, 2.4 GHz, 320 GB hd, 4 GB ram....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have the speck case you can buy off apple's website. It's been a good case but a couple of the tabs have broken off of it over time. Also, its a good idea to remove the case and clean everything really good every so often.

Also, my school gave out free copies of McAfee Security for all the students. I've only noticed just a couple of times in the 1+ years that I've had it, that it has actually caught something. (not letting me on a page etc.) It's probably not a bad thing to have, but I have no idea how much it is if you were to pay for it.

Anti-Virus software is pretty cheap, and deals abound. Cox Communications provides McAfee A/V free to customers. I've seen it sell for like $10. retail. I prefer Norton Internet Security, but even that is not very expensive. I pay around $40. a year.

95snake03, congratulations on getting your MacBook Pro. How do you like Snow Leopard compared to Windows? Was there a steep learning curve? Hearing how more and more are moving from Windows to Apple I might try it in a year or so. We'll see. My daughter loves her MacBook Pro and Snow Leopard.

Question. How does the ambient light activated (back-lit) keyboard work? Does low light automatically turn the back lighting on, or does touching a key turn the light on? I ask because my Dell Studio notebook has back-lit keys but they light when you touch a key. And the light turns off after a certain amount of time. Just curious how the MacBook Pro does this.

whiplash306

Established Member
Anti-Virus software is pretty cheap, and deals abound. Cox Communications provides McAfee A/V free to customers. I've seen it sell for like $10. retail. I prefer Norton Internet Security, but even that is not very expensive. I pay around $40. a year.

95snake03, congratulations on getting your MacBook Pro. How do you like Snow Leopard compared to Windows? Was there a steep learning curve? Hearing how more and more are moving from Windows to Apple I might try it in a year or so. We'll see. My daughter loves her MacBook Pro and Snow Leopard.

Question. How does the ambient light activated (back-lit) keyboard work? Does low light automatically turn the back lighting on, or does touching a key turn the light on? I ask because my Dell Studio notebook has back-lit keys but they light when you touch a key. And the light turns off after a certain amount of time. Just curious how the MacBook Pro does this.
There is a bit of a learner's curve, but truth be told, the difference between Snow Leopard and Windows is not so different that "you" wouldn't be able to pick it up rather quickly. My Dad just purchased a Mac and he can barely navigate his way through a flip phone...he's doing great with it....!

The back-lit keyboard is an especially nice feature. In fact, it was the single determining factor that influenced my Dad to go with the Macbook Pro vs. the regular Macbook. Basically, there is a light sensor right up next to the camera that detects when lighting conditions are low enough to justify turning on the keyboard's lighting. Very simple idea.....very nice feature!

95snake03

Established Member

thanks. I actually just bought it yesterday, so I havent been able to really tell you much about the differences but from what I can tell sofar they are huge in a good way. Everything about this computer is way more advanced than what I was used to on that old dell. Im still looking at some of the things on here trying to figure out what everything does, but after awhile im sure ill get used to it. I never liked windows....

The keyboard is amazing because like right now im sitting next to my window and so its pretty light outside and the keyboard is not lit. But if I move the computer over to a dark room the keys light up. If I dont touch the computer for a minute the keys will go dark until I touch the pad again and they light back up. Its all depending on the lighting in the room.

95snake03

Established Member
I've always wanted a macbook pro but haven't been able to justify the price. Some of ya'll mentioned a Mac Air? Never heard of it but sounds like it will be sweet!

The price on this one was $1199 but I got $100 off for student discount. Other computers I was looking at were in the $600 range but they just werent what I really wanted and I need a good computer that will last me. Im tired of dell and all their cheap shenanigans. The dell batteries are only good for a year. The battery in this macbook is good for five years. From what I can tell these laptops hold their value better than other laptops. And I also have an Iphone, so it just kind of makes sense to get one that will work well with itunes and sync my phone with everyday. Its worth the extra money to me. Only bad thing is im about to pay $150 more so I can get Microsoft office pro to use in school.

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
I did the same thing. You will definitely need the Microsoft programs such as word, excel, powerpoint for school.. Congrats!

Or you could use OpenOffice for free! :banana:

I would get an external hard drive (they are cheap now days, 500gb for ~$50) and set up Time Machine (you literally just flip a switch and it's done). Then plug it in every now and then and back your stuff up. It may/will save you a lot of headache one day.

whiplash306

Established Member
Or you could use OpenOffice for free! :banana:

I would get an external hard drive (they are cheap now days, 500gb for ~$50) and set up Time Machine (you literally just flip a switch and it's done). Then plug it in every now and then and back your stuff up. It may/will save you a lot of headache one day.

When I was looking at external hard drives, I saw a couple specific for MAC, but they were terribly overpriced. Then I saw a bunch that were able to be used with both MAC and reg PC's. However, the lady selling them said that I would have to reformat them to be compatible for use with the MAC. Is this a difficult deal???? I am really wanting an external hard drive, but am not sure how to make this work.....

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
When I was looking at external hard drives, I saw a couple specific for MAC, but they were terribly overpriced. Then I saw a bunch that were able to be used with both MAC and reg PC's. However, the lady selling them said that I would have to reformat them to be compatible for use with the MAC. Is this a difficult deal???? I am really wanting an external hard drive, but am not sure how to make this work.....

Time machine will format it for you. Definitely don't pay for a "MAC" hd. Just get a nice Seagate or Western Digital. I got a 750gb for $70 at Fry's.

Users who are viewing this thread