finally e85 dyno results

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
well after a few dyno days and some fine tuning we made 770rwhp 680rwtq this was on a built shortblock pulling it to 6500 rpms with what we found out was e75 after testing. this was with a 11.3-11.5 a/f and 23.5 degrees of timing. i am using br7ef plugs gapped at .024, and a triple walbro setup with 80lb. injectors and never got close to running out of fuel. base fuel pressure was set at 55psi. this was done with a whipple 3.4 with a 3.5 inch upper and stock lower pulley setup (no crusher)im running a jlt 110 housing with 05 gt slot style electronics and a Mafia set at position 3 with a 12 inch filter (under hood) we made several pulls where we shut the car of immediately after the pull and checked the plugs and they were perfect everytime.
i have a few questions for the whipple owners
1. how much boost is normal with the gen 2 3.4 with the 3.5 upper and stock lower setup through long tube headers and stage three comp cams? whipples chart says 23psi but i know the gen 2s make a little more boost
2. has anyone experienced spark blowout from the extra fuel your putting in the cylinder accompanied with high boost, has anyone needed a boost-a-spark , we kept having a misfire between 5500 and 6500 , you could feel it while it was on the dyno(me and a buddy were sitting in the trunk every pull) and it showed up on the graph but when i drove the car i never felt it

Teej281

Established Member
Boost is probably lower than what the chart says because of the cams and the longtubes. Nice numbers though. And the stock COP's should be fine for this much power. People are making a lot more power with more boost and such, so you should be fine.

2k4Terminator

Established Member
If I remeber right it carries 23-24 psi throughout the power band after the solid tensioner....the car is an absolute monster!! I am sure Tim will chime in about the boost.

It should make 23psi with a 3.5" upper, but with longtubes and cams the boost should drop because it's more efficient.... Put a 2.85" upper on and push 30psi and see what that 3.4 is really made of! BTW, is there a Crusher Inlet on this 3.4??

*FOR SALE*-Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold for 5.0

70mm BBK Throttle Body w/ EGR Spacer for 5.0

MAFia Mass Air Extender w/ Stock 03/04 Mass Air for 03/04 Cobra

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
e85

No crusher on this setup, it makes about 23 psi at 6500, the blower is only spinning at 13,700 rpms if you do the math, its Max rpm is 18,000 as recommended by Whipple so a 3.25 upper should give me 2 psi more and still only spin the blower at 14,800 rpms, so it still wont even be running hard yet

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
Good Numbers! I started putting my setup together to day, hope to have close or similar numbers. Who tuned your car? How does it feel on the street?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Good Numbers! I started putting my setup together to day, hope to have close or similar numbers. Who tuned your car? How does it feel on the street?

Local Guy tuned it, with the 3.73 it pulls like a freight train, it is so awesome to drive, what's crazy is it made 710/607 with only 20psi and it hooks pretty good

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
i want to trade my whipple 2.3 for a 3.4 and do e85 FML

The 3.4 is an amazing blower and with the e85 its even better, I made 744/650 with c-13 with 25° of timing, now I'm only at 23.5° of timing at the same boost and made 768/679 and its only e75 right now so the a/f is at 11.3 , when the 85% summer blend comes out I will lean it out a little and pick up 10-15 more hp

Whippedmach

Established Member
I have the same pulley combo as u, along with the E85 and occasionally mine does stumble with spark blow out also, granted i have accell coils, and should get some stockers, but regardless, i'll be buying a Boost a spark soon.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I have the same pulley combo as u, along with the E85 and occasionally mine does stumble with spark blow out also, granted i have accell coils, and should get some stockers, but regardless, i'll be buying a Boost a spark soon.

That's what I wanted to know, thank you for posting

Teej281

Established Member
well after a few dyno days and some fine tuning we made 770rwhp 680rwtq this was on a built shortblock pulling it to 6500 rpms with what we found out was e75 after testing. this was with a 11.3-11.5 a/f and 23.5 degrees of timing. i am using br7ef plugs gapped at .024, and a triple walbro setup with 80lb. injectors and never got close to running out of fuel. base fuel pressure was set at 55psi. this was done with a whipple 3.4 with a 3.5 inch upper and stock lower pulley setup (no crusher)im running a jlt 110 housing with 05 gt slot style electronics and a Mafia set at position 3 with a 12 inch filter (under hood) we made several pulls where we shut the car of immediately after the pull and checked the plugs and they were perfect everytime.
i have a few questions for the whipple owners
1. how much boost is normal with the gen 2 3.4 with the 3.5 upper and stock lower setup through long tube headers and stage three comp cams? whipples chart says 23psi but i know the gen 2s make a little more boost
2. has anyone experienced spark blowout from the extra fuel your putting in the cylinder accompanied with high boost, has anyone needed a boost-a-spark , we kept having a misfire between 5500 and 6500 , you could feel it while it was on the dyno(me and a buddy were sitting in the trunk every pull) and it showed up on the graph but when i drove the car i never felt it

Here I think is where your problem is...you are running too cold of a plug for E85. E85 runs plenty cool on its own and keeps temps down, so I'd try moving up to a hotter plug with the same gap and see what that does. TR6's are like $3/plug, and $24 is a lot cheaper to try first than a BAS.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Mods should make a "Sticky" with the HP gains members saw converting from pump to E-85, that would be interesting, I've seen some in the past gain 70+..

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Just a little bit of info, I did a back to back comparison on the dyno, same day, same weather same afr with TR6's vs BR7ef's Pulled plugs for inspection after each pull. Both plugs gapped @ .024

TR6's made 747whp
BR7EF's made 732whp

This is on a stock style motor setup, stock heads/stock cams. KB 2.8H @ 25psi.

You be the judge. This was on a non e85 combo, and 110 Octane @ 23 degrees timing.

CobraKid04

Established Member
Dang OP I need to see this beast....If you happen to see a white C6 GS slammed and tinted...go ahead and give me a flyby..I won't mind. hahah

Teej281

Established Member
Also OP, you dont want to go leaning things out when summer blend comes back out because the higher percent ethanol will do the leaning out for you. If anything you might have to richen it up.

Users who are viewing this thread