Finally, After one year in the Shop....

03cobra4speed'n

Established Member
I got my Cobra back last week after a year in the shop. Read carefully and avoid the mistakes I made:

I got the itch for more HP last year (480 wasn't good enough), so I decided to port the heads and replace the cams. I took the heads to FPS in anaheim, CA (DON'T EVER GO THERE). the 'Two weeks' turned into three months. The "i've done dozens of 4v cobras' turned into 'yours is the first and the porting program on the CNC needs to be written.'

Finally, after more than three months I got the heads back, took weeks to install, and the car wouldn't start. The cams were all jacked up and couldn't get them dialed in. The CAM cards I got from FPS WEREN'T EVEN FROM MY CAR.

I took the car to Superior Automotive to fix. They couldn't do much - replaced the CAMS with stock (wasted $3K), but the car had LESS power than when I started, even after the port job on the heads and the Eaton. Superior retested the heads, and they were REALLY SCREWED UP, as were the pistons by now from detonation.

I had them rebuild the engine, which took about 5 months (waiting on this and that, etc). While I was waiting, I ditched the ported apton and bought a Kenne Bell.

I had the car for a couple days last week (finally), great #'s, but more tuning needed. Took the car back because it was puking fuel out the tailpipes and it was running like crap until you pushed it past 1/4 throttle - ran like hell then.

So, new MAF sensor and looks like some bizzare electrical problem. I should get it back in a day or two (yep, heard that before....)

1/2 throttle on the way to Superior allowed me to smoke an '05 GT from 70 to about 110 (If Joe or Don ask, I babied the car the whole way back) - in 4th gear (never wen't past 4000 RPM, honest).

LCCOBRA

Established Member
After all that I would have sold the car by now. Glad to hear you stuck to it and hope it puts down some good numbers.

03cobra4speed'n

Established Member
Had I known how much $$$ it was going to cost, I would have just ordered the GT500.....still might, but that will just mean that I'd have to start the upgrade process all over again, and I've about drained the kids' college fund on this project!

moddedmystic

Established Member
Holy nightmare batman! You have alot of patience.I dont think I could go that long with out my ride.Waiting threw the winter is bad enough.
Cheers, Mark A
:beer:

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
that sounds like a nightmare, hopefully all is well now.

03cobra4speed'n

Established Member
I paid CASH to get a discount, so not sure how to proceed. I may file a lawsuit, but I have less time than money (not by much, though).

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
sorry to hear all the problems but glad to hear you are gettin it back bro

so you would recommend superior, then?

03cobra4speed'n

Established Member
Yes. They're pros. You should check out their shop. lots of nasty horsepower comes and goes there. Sean Ellis (Socaltuning.com/socaldiablo.com) does his tuning at superior on their dyno. Not cheap, but they really know what they are doing, and have deep connections at Ford SVT and most aftermarket vendors like KB, Comp, Crower, etc. they actually help Comp Cams spec the perfect cobra cams.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Great looking shop. Had the Cobra tuned down there by Shawn. Nice guy, but I don't like not being able to see my AF ratio, timing, etc... That's why I'm changing to tune it myself.

The shop actually has a clean room for engine building, offices totally seperated from the shop, and an in ground dyno. If I were to have an engine built, I would probably go there...I'm not sure, but I think they do a lot of work Bow Tie motors. I could be wrong, but at least that's what I remember the majority of the vehicles inside running.

Most importantly, I'd work on getting your money back. Don't forget to make calls to the BBB or anyone else you can get the word out to.

Users who are viewing this thread