Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Ugly compared to what :shrug:

1LE20CAMARO20productionRS.gif

Any good looking car. :lol:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Ford GT's were in owners hands as early as 2004, C6 Z06 did not hit the streets until late 2005 as a 2006 model year. As you stated the Corvette was an ongoing car build, so it is logical that it would cost less to build than the Ford GT. So be it. Now, let's see, which of those two cars is worth as much or more today than they MSRP'd for new?

BTW, still waiting on that laundry list.

We aren't arguing future worth here, but if that make your stance better, go for it.

Just the past 25yrs

Syclone - in market before the lightning
Typhoon - nothing from Ford
TBSS - nothing from Ford
Buick GN - no response
Vette - nothing except for 2yrs
Impala SS LT1 - maybe not first, but either was the SHO, and would eat it's lunch
STSV - nope
XLRV - never
CTSV - r u serious...Lincoln sucks

svt1111

Established Member
Basic rundown:

Ford releases Mustang in 1964. By 1967, GM sees the market share Mustang owns by itself, they introduce Firebird and Camaro. Trans Am series is big in the late 60's, Ford backs a few teams, and Chevy counters with their race program, and the Z28 is born. Ford actually REACTED to the Z28 with the Boss 302. So, credit is being put where credit is due. Interstingly, Chevy had the first 302 cu motor, Ford only had the 289. As history as shown, Ford would go on to win the Trans Am Championship in 1970 once the bugs were worked out of their Boss 302 program.

Fast forward to the current generation of muscle cars. GM discontinues F-body platform in 2002. After seeing the success of the retro styled S197, GM decides to introduce their own retro styled Camaro. Once it hits the market, they decide to capture some of the market opened up by the GT500, and use its basic DNA as a starting point for their own effort with the ZL1 supercharged Camaro. Anyone remember all the crying we heard about needing a blower on the 03 Cobra to beat the LS1? Haha..

GM then responds to the resounding success of the production Boss 302 with this new 1LE ( there's some pedigree for you right there, lol).

See where I was going with this now? With the exception of the 1969 Z28, GM historically responds to what Ford does. They usually come out with some overstyled car that is a head turner, but lacks the essential things that made the Ford effort ( in its particular market segment) so appealing. Then they sell them with aggressive rebates and move a ton of units ( well sometimes), and claim to be America's favorite sports car based on nothing more than sales numbers. Most enthusiasts don't judge a sports cars appeal based on how many were sold to the public. We consider real attributes, primarily performance.

All in all, competition is a good thing, and I'm glad GM has stepped it up. I just laugh everytime I see them come to market a day late and a dollar short. And that's our tax money right there.

On a side note, I pulled in my driveway tonight in my GM work truck, and thought to myself, "huh, no idiot lights on the dashboard today. That's odd." Then BLING: ABS light comes on just before I take key out of ignition. Chevy, they never dissappoint, do they? Junk.

Last edited:

Grant808

Established Member
Just drove by the dealership that I bought my GT...only '12 Mustang on the lot is a KB GT500. Also passed by the Chevy dealer (which was closed for about a year in '09-'10) and there were TONS of Camaros. No real surprise there.

Gumby5.oh

Established Member
Just drove by the dealership that I bought my GT...only '12 Mustang on the lot is a KB GT500. Also passed by the Chevy dealer (which was closed for about a year in '09-'10) and there were TONS of Camaros. No real surprise there.

The new camaro has been out selling the mustang since it came out...just sayin:D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

svt1111

Established Member

Interesting article. I like the authors perspective that the warm winter may have had a role in all the muscle cars selling better than that of the same time period measured in 2011. Very good point.

I hope all 3 continue to thrive, while I generally hate Chevy's ( besides C6 Z06's), I like the fact that we have competition among our muscle cars. Keeps things interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread