finally a camaro competitor to the boss

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
Boss will probably destroy this around the track but at least GM is trying.

Officially Official!! The Camaro 1LE has just been officially annonced by GM this morning. Press release as follows:
The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.
For 2013, the 1LE package is offered only on 1SS and 2SS coupe models, featuring a 6.2L LS3 V-8, which is rated at 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb-ft of torque (569 Nm). In addition, 1LE is only available with a six-speed manual transmission.
While the Camaro SS features a Tremec TR6060-M10 for all-around performance, the Camaro 1LE features an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.
The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.

more here: Official: 2013 Camaro 1LE Performance Package: 426-hp, 1g cornering, under $40,000 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

be careful not to post or you will get banned.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
No weight savings? Ugh. Come on GM, you coulda pulled something out of the SS-X.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
No weight savings? Ugh. Come on GM, you coulda pulled something out of the SS-X.

They did drop ~25# from the wheel/tires, which is a good spot to shed some weight. Even if it's weight neutral, handling should sharpen considerably with the unsprung weight loss alone.

IMO, doubt we'll see any significant lightweighting until they move this car over to the Alpha platform. They aren't about to drop big bucks into the 5th gen.

Far from perfect, but the price could make it a good seller. Given the assumed pricing and the fact that this isn't called a Z28, I see this as more of a TP GT competitor.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
They did drop ~25# from the wheel/tires, which is a good spot to shed some weight. Even if it's weight neutral, handling should sharpen considerably with the unsprung weight loss alone.

IMO, doubt we'll see any significant lightweighting until they move this car over to the Alpha platform. They aren't about to drop big bucks into the 5th gen.

Far from perfect, but the price could make it a good seller. Given the assumed pricing and the fact that this isn't called a Z28, I see this as more of a TP GT competitor.

They also announced that the 1LE dips under the 3 minute mark at VIR, which is pretty close to SVT's time and in 2011 PP gt500. Granted, you can take track times with a grain of salt, but I think it will match up with the Boss pretty well. Probably a good thing as it should help get rid of all the ADM crap.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
They also announced that the 1LE dips under the 3 minute mark at VIR, which is pretty close to SVT's time and in 2011 PP gt500. Granted, you can take track times with a grain of salt, but I think it will match up with the Boss pretty well. Probably a good thing as it should help get rid of all the ADM crap.

Good points

I think this time around, hopefully team camaro will show some restraint in marketing this thing. Avoid the ZL1 mess if I were them.

Now that the cars been out a while, they will probably sprinkle in a few of these semi-special models to keep things fresh until the update.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Whether it beats the Boss or not, now is a great time to be a enthusiast. 650hp this, 580hp that, Side exhaust with forged internals, Competition Orange.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

35101158-623x389.jpg

:shrug:

LostPony

Established Member
Without a weight savings and a power bump I fail to see how it will beat the Boss. I drove an SS a few years ago on a track and hated it. Couldn't see out of it, and it turned like my ex wife's 300C.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I think that's a race car.

I'm talking reducing weight without loss of content

They designed lightweight body panels, seats, and a rear seat delete for it. All stuff that could be borrowed, or at least made options, for this new track day car they're trying to build. At least throw some Recaros in there or something.

ktorres1

Established Member
I think this is their version of a track pack for the camaro since their probably tired of hearing how the ss handles like a boat

Grant808

Established Member
I know Im going to get bashed for asking this on a Ford forum but how is GM copying Ford by introducing a track oriented Camaro?

You mean you don't see the monkey-see, monkey-do going on? :shrug:

Did you see the pics? The black spoiler, front splitter...n/a track car?

Competition is good, but this is kinda sad.

Mikes5.0

Established Member
You mean you don't see the monkey-see, monkey-do going on? :shrug:

Did you see the pics? The black spoiler, front splitter...n/a track car?

Competition is good, but this is kinda sad.

Thats like saying Ford copied Porsche? Ever seen a gt3 rs?

Spoiler,splitter, odd wheel color, r compound tires, n/a engine. Not looking for an argument.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Thats like saying Ford copied Porsche? Ever seen a gt3 rs?

Spoiler,splitter, odd wheel color, r compound tires, n/a engine. Not looking for an argument.

2012 boss 302 is straight lineage from 1969 boss 302. chin spoiler, wing, track car, road racing engine, limited options. that predates the gt3 a little bit

as to this situation. ford proved the market. the difference between where ford and ford racing are with street track production packages and factory race car packages and full ala carte availability of the factory developed components and where gm is....night and day. it costs fully 2 to 1 in dollars to build a current camaro to compete with a current mustang in grand am or world challenge or american iron. its why you see lots of mustangs and few camaros.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The 1LE option package is nothing new. You could say it actually has a longer (not older or more recognized) lineage than the Boss model.

GM focuses their attention on Corvette racing. The Camaro may never see the level of factory support that the Mustang gets from Ford. It takes a lot of money to factory back two totally different cars, and the vette will never go without.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
2012 boss 302 is straight lineage from 1969 boss 302. chin spoiler, wing, track car, road racing engine, limited options. that predates the gt3 a little bit

All of those were typical of the the 69 Z28 as well :read:

It's Trans Am racing heritage. They're only copying themselves. Granted, that's not to say that GM didn't screw this one up; their designers seem to have a huge disconnect between their own history and nostalgia and what they spit off the production line. You just need to look at their latest Indy Pace Car to see how out of touch they are with themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread