Fidanza cheap-o flywheel?

arc00ta

Established Member
Fidanza cheap-o flywheel? NOW need clutch help

I'm kind of stuck here and looking for some advice. I just purchased a new clutch (spec 2+), and all new everything to go with it including a TOB sleeve from lethal to replace my slipping stock clutch and soon-to-be-seized throw out bearing. I was trying to get a replacement ford flywheel from tousley ford but they don't carry them any more.

I need a new flywheel since my car is my DD, so I'm pretty much screwed if I can't get the clutch done over the weekend and I have no way to go get the stocker resurfaced. My budget is very tight and the replacement ford flywheel would have been fine, the next affordable option is the fidanza steel one-piece that lethal sells. Anyone use it or know if it will work with the spec cltuch? I'm afraid of the replacement parts from local auto parts stores since I know they tend to have balance issues.

Heres the link to the one I'm looking at: Flywheel

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
I would make sure that it is 8 bolt, which it says it is. But that should work just fine for you due to your budget. Fidanza and McLeod make great flywheels and shouldnt have any balance issues.

arc00ta

Established Member
I would make sure that it is 8 bolt, which it says it is. But that should work just fine for you due to your budget. Fidanza and McLeod make great flywheels and shouldnt have any balance issues.

Great, thats what I was hoping for. It seems like it would be fine but making sure doesn't hurt. I would have just called lethal but by the time I got my email saying I couldn't get the ford one they are closed.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
People say that McLeod will replace the friction surface in the stock flywheel if you send it to them. Not sure how long the turnaround would be or how much it costs but it might be another option.

arc00ta

Established Member
People say that McLeod will replace the friction surface in the stock flywheel if you send it to them. Not sure how long the turnaround would be or how much it costs but it might be another option.

I would do something like that but my turn around has to be about 8 hours. Clutch swap is easy I just have to have all the parts the first time.

arc00ta

Established Member
Just as an update, I got my flywheel today from fidanza and it appears to be an OEM ford piece, stamped on the back and everything.

arc00ta

Established Member
Okay, so I just got done installing the following:

Fidanza steel flywheel
Spec Stage 2+
Lethal TOB sleeve
FRPP TOB
FRPP Pilot bearing
New ford clutch fork
New ford FW and PP bolts

Clutch engages fine, very smooth and no chatter, but the car shakes like a dog shitting razor blades. Its the worst at idle, and decreases as the RPM's climb. I tried to line up the balance paint on the PP to the one on the FW as best I could but it just didn't go that way so they are a few inches off. Anyone have a suggestion of what I can do?

jdgt03

Established Member
I thought 03-04's have an aluminum flywheel from the factory? If so thats not a factory piece, my fidanza aluminum flywheel and spec 2+ should be here tommorow, ill let you know how it goes.

arc00ta

Established Member
Its not factory for an 03-04, I think maybe for a 99 or 01. Its steel and stamped ford on the back, and slightly heavier. I went back in today and re-torqued the pressure plate bolts and the vibrations have calmed down a lot. Maybe one was backing out or something.

EDIT: its a lot of fun torquing the bolts through the cable cover thing

gargstang

Established Member
Just an FYI there is a 12 lbs difference between the Fidanza steel flywheel and the factory built Mcleod aluminum. The rotating mass is going to be somewhat different obviously but not sure how that would translate to feel or vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread