Few questions about oil changes for my 03 Cobra

mariosvt

Bazinga
Established Member
I have been reading through many threads on oil for the past 2 days.

My Cobra is my DD here in So Cal.

So for my engine oil I bought:

Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w-30 (6 QTs)

Only thing is that I couldn't find a part number on which oil filter to run?

If someone can point me in the direction of the part number for an oil filter for an 03/04 Cobra, I would appreciate it.

I also need a trans oil change and i definately want to go with Amsoil.

But on my search, i ran into a thread of someone using Amsoil ATF in their Cobra. But why would you put ATF in a Manual Transmission? Shouldnt it be MTF??

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

SVTDice

Established Member
Honestly, I'd take the Mobil 1 back and get either Mobil 1 EP (Extended performance) Or just take it back completely and get Amsoil Signature Series.. Heres a few tips I want to throw to you.

If I was you I'd do the following, Go with 10w30 vs 5w30 if you live in a hotter area of the country. It has overall better wear protection from what I hear. If you are not doing cold starts in sub 32 degree weather. Then I'd skip the 0w or 5w.

Second I'd go with Amsoil for the Engine oil if you plan on going with Amsoil for the transmission fluid. They make some of the best fluids by far. Trust me, Its worth it.
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic and Manual Transmission Fluid <- Transmission fluid.

Third, This is the oil filter you want for your 03 Cobra. Its a solid filter with some of the best filtration and flow properties of any filter I've found. If you hold one in your hand it screams quality. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters - Nanofiber Technology <- Filter

And Four, Amsoil ATF Is recomended in Tremec T56's. Not quite sure why but I've had great success with it. Also from what I can tell it also has a lower viscosity then say Syncromesh which is another option alot of people try out. That may explain the harder shifts because its a thicker fluid. I pulled this information from another thread.

Penzoil/GM Synchromesh: 9.08
VS
Amsoil ATF: 7.6

The lower the number, The thinner it is.
But honestly, I used ATF And so far it works great. I wouldnt think twice about using it again. I had great results. I'll link my thread if you want to take a look at my review. My last tip is for the engine oil. Instead of using 6Qts, Consider using 6.5 or even 7. Its what I use. No ill effects. Reason being is the slow drainback of the heads along with when you're pushing your car hard in corners per say. You don't want to starve your car of engine oil. Anyways, Hope this helps. Goodluck man!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...866033-cbs-shifter-gasket-amsoil-atf-win.html <- My thread.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have been reading through many threads on oil for the past 2 days.

My Cobra is my DD here in So Cal.

So for my engine oil I bought:

Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w-30 (6 QTs)

Only thing is that I couldn't find a part number on which oil filter to run?

If someone can point me in the direction of the part number for an oil filter for an 03/04 Cobra, I would appreciate it.

I also need a trans oil change and i definately want to go with Amsoil.

But on my search, i ran into a thread of someone using Amsoil ATF in their Cobra. But why would you put ATF in a Manual Transmission? Shouldnt it be MTF??

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...erminator-oil-recommendations-capacities.html

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I bought my 2003 Cobra 9 1/2 years ago and I've done quite a bit
of looking up info and asking questions.
Ford recommends using 6 quarts of engine oil and the oil will come
up half way between the low/ high area. I called SVT and they said
I could go as far as using 6 1/2 quarts of engine oil. It is bad news
to overfill an engine so, no way would I put in 7 quarts. No way!
Ford oil filters, FL-820S, I think it is called are very good filters and
are very easy to find and very reasonable to purchase. I feel there
is no need to buy very expensive oil filters. I believe, using very good
engine oil and changing it often is the key.
It states in your Ford SVT Cobra owners manual that the transmission
uses ATF fluid. I have 21000 miles and use stock Ford ATF fluid in tranny.
I use full synthetic Valvoline 5W-30 engine oil with a stock Ford oil filter.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
There are so many of us running 7 quarts. It's totally fine. I am right at the max line with 7 quarts.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I know many people are using 7 quarts of engine oil in the Cobra.
Did you call SVT and ask about their thoughts on using 7 quarts?
I called them and I was told I could go to 6 1/2 quarts.
I am just sharing my experience with SVT advisors.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Go look up the oil pan fill thread. They show what different amounts of oil in the pan look like. They actually got 9 quarts to fit in the pan.

Also remember that when the car is running you have about two quarts in the engine/oil filter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running 7.

SVTDice

Established Member
Go look up the oil pan fill thread. They show what different amounts of oil in the pan look like. They actually got 9 quarts to fit in the pan.

Also remember that when the car is running you have about two quarts in the engine/oil filter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running 7.

^
This, I run 7Qt's as well. The oil return for our heads is also slow. You have to consider that as well. 7 works great, Honestly I'd choose to have a little more then a little less. This also applies for people that autocross / track there car. I highly suggest using 7 Qt's. :coolman:

Last edited:

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
No, that's only beneficial to large oil companies.

Agreed.
There is a study posted at bob is the oil guy referencing extended oil drains vs changing oil more often in relation to wear. Apparently zddp which is the primary anti-wear agent in motor oils,needs mileage to fully appreciate the anti wear capability. It shows that the compound created as the oil is circulated and the pressures the engine puts the oil through is what lowers wear. So,according to this study,oil that is halfway through it's lifespan protects better than new oil does,so extended drain capable oils will lessen wear as opposed to more frequent oil changes with new oil.
Another study shows that changing brands of oil will accelerate wear because oil builds up it's anti-wear layers on the moving parts. The chemistry of a different oil will strip the old layer then rebuild a new layer,so during that time wear metals spike,accelerating wear.
I know this all may sound absurd however I didn't do the studies,I just read them and if you really think about it it does make sense.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The previous owner of my cobra was also using 7qts, thats what I stick with. Currently running royal purple hps 5w30 along with there oil filter and couldn't be happier thus far.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Agreed.
There is a study posted at bob is the oil guy referencing extended oil drains vs changing oil more often in relation to wear. Apparently zddp which is the primary anti-wear agent in motor oils,needs mileage to fully appreciate the anti wear capability. It shows that the compound created as the oil is circulated and the pressures the engine puts the oil through is what lowers wear. So,according to this study,oil that is halfway through it's lifespan protects better than new oil does,so extended drain capable oils will lessen wear as opposed to more frequent oil changes with new oil.
Another study shows that changing brands of oil will accelerate wear because oil builds up it's anti-wear layers on the moving parts. The chemistry of a different oil will strip the old layer then rebuild a new layer,so during that time wear metals spike,accelerating wear.
I know this all may sound absurd however I didn't do the studies,I just read them and if you really think about it it does make sense.

Not absurd at all.

Enthusiasts have taken notice that switching lubricants from one to another had significant impact on the following UOA report. Wear metals would be elevated abnormally.

I was always a high ZDDP oil formulation fan. Amsoil did something amazing with the new Signature Series. It has API SN levels of ZDDP, yet still performs the same as their older high ZDDP version. A modern marvel.

Users who are viewing this thread