Few pics of my C5Z with coilovers installed

RSbeast

Established Member
Once you take a corvette past the range of stock adjustability on the bolts, they start to compromise a bit. That said I'm sure they are valved WAY better and inspire more confidence than stock as honestly they do leave a bit to be desired stock.

I absolutely love the look and the car! Makes me wish I passed on the coupe.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Beautiful car! I love C5Z and hope to own one some day. Any videos of the cam and exhaust work?

Xx_Black-out

Dilly Dilly
Established Member
Do you think the suspension really handles better than the one that GM must've spent millions on designing? I know you can obviously improve on a Mustang or Camaro suspension. But is there that much compromise still in the Corvette?

Yes.

I run Pfadt racing coilovers/swaybars on my Z06 and there is a night and day difference. Like you, I wouldn't have believed it at first because the Z06 handles great but after driving it.....oh man.

98TA

South east of disorder
Established Member
Looks killer! I've been waiting to run across anyone who has installed the QA1's on their C5. I've been saving pennies for PFadt drag set up for my 02, but I might end up with QA1's. Had them on my T/A and they were great.

96lazervert

Established Member
I almost went with stance coilovers. About the same money. If ride height is crucial for you with the Qa1's, you will only get this look with the 450 rate spring. I only have about 3-4 threads left. I think with a stiffer spring, the car wouldnt lower enough for me to achieve the ride height i wanted. They offer 450, 550, and 650. I have the dampening set midway and they ride amazing.

Last edited:

SoFlaZ06

Established Member
Car looks great, I'm on LG GT2s. haven't gotten around to dailing in the height just yet, how long did it take you. seems like a very time consuming process.

Do you think the suspension really handles better than the one that GM must've spent millions on designing? I know you can obviously improve on a Mustang or Camaro suspension. But is there that much compromise still in the Corvette? I would just think - again, never having one - that the 'Vette would be pretty much optimized out of the box. Did you do that just because you prefer the look, (which is fine, not saying that) or does it really handle better now?

and yes they do, Corvettes lowered on stock setup, tend to have a twitchy feeling in the rear on hard cornering. They'll grip hard in turns, then let go with little warning. now with coilovers, what I gained was confidence, you feel when you're getting close to the edge, and it'll lets go more gradual. which makes it a better handling car imo.

96lazervert

Established Member
Car looks great, I'm on LG GT2s. haven't gotten around to dailing in the height just yet, how long did it take you. seems like a very time consuming process.

and yes they do, Corvettes lowered on stock setup, tend to have a twitchy feeling in the rear on hard cornering. They'll grip hard in turns, then let go with little warning. now with coilovers, what I gained was confidence, you feel when you're getting close to the edge, and it'll lets go more gradual. which makes it a better handling car imo.

Yes it takes time to get it right. Its also annoying removing the wheels everytime but its part of it. Fyi on mine one full turn equals approx. 1/8" up or down.

oldmodman

Established Member
Looks great!

But I couldn't go two blocks here in Los Angeles. So many damn speed humps that it would high center in a couple of minutes after leaving my house. And that assuming I could get it out of my driveway. Too low.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Any OEM production design, even very low-number performance exotics, must balance performance, NVH, and longevity. As performance enthusiasts, we can choose to sacrifice some or all of #2 or #3 to improve #1. In general, you can improve the performance of any OEM setup by:

1. getting lower
2. more spring rate
3. more sway bar rate
4. shock rates adjusted to 2 and 3
5. replacing bushings with less compromising materials

Obviously each has a law of diminishing returns. As a simple support to this statement, there is a reason C5R and C6R parts exist.

winning post is winning.

Theres always room for improvement over OEM, but like stated, you will sacrifice something.

Users who are viewing this thread