FCA to sell to Chinese company?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
USA Today said:
DETROIT -- A Chinese automaker reportedly made a quiet bid to acquire Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, raising the distinct possibility that the traditional member of the Detroit Three that was bailed out by U.S. taxpayers could wind up with Chinese ownership.

After years of pursuing a deal to gain greater global scale, the automaker recently rejected an acquisition bid by an unidentified Chinese company, according to Automotive News. Fiat Chrysler is based in London, with its major operations in Italy and the U.S.

The publication also reported that multiple Chinese automakers are weighing a similar bid for the maker of the Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge brands.

A Fiat Chrysler spokeswoman declined to comment Monday morning.

But investors were heartened by the prospect of a deal. Fiat Chrysler shares closed in New York up nearly 8.5% at $12.60, up 99 cents.

Any Chinese deal to acquire Fiat Chrysler would likely be predicated on a global growth plan, including access to the company's established network of dealerships.

The Jeep brand, in particular, is popular in China and highly lucrative because of its popular sport-utility vehicles and crossovers. The Ram brand's pickup trucks and vans are also popular.

"The Chinese make a lot of sense" as a prospective buyer, said Kristin Dziczek, director of labor, industry and economics at Center for Automotive Research. "Chinese automakers have made no secret that they've got their mark set on the U.S."

Still, the political implications of such a deal, especially amid treacherous terrain for international trade, could prove thorny.

A deal would almost certainly raise political hackles in the U.S. over the possibility that a company rescued by taxpayers could yield to Chinese ownership amid consternation over the future of American manufacturing.

The U.S. government bailed out Chrysler in late 2008 and 2009, funding the company's bankruptcy and helping to negotiate Italian automaker Fiat's deal to gain control of the brand. Several years later, Fiat gained full ownership of Chrysler.

Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has argued for years that industry consolidation is necessary to help automakers meet global fuel economy standards and demands for investments in electric cars and self-driving technology.

He briefly pursued a tie-up with cross-town rival General Motors but was rebuffed. And speculation that Fiat Chrysler could sell out to the world's largest automaker, Volkswagen Group, has also fizzled out.

In April, Marchionne even indicated that spinning off Ram and Jeep into a standalone company is a possibility. He also said the company has considered selling off some or all of its parts division, Magneti Marelli.

"I don't think that Mr. Marchionne has made any secret of the fact that he's looking for a buyer," Dziczek said.

The identity of the Chinese automaker reportedly pursuing Fiat Chrysler is a mystery, although Automotive News noted that representatives of Great Wall Motor recently met with the company at its headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich.

Another possibility is Fiat Chrysler's joint venture partner in China, Guangzhou Automobile.

Snavely reported from Detroit and Bomey from McLean, Va.

Fiat Chrysler’s ties to China have been growing in recent years after the company made an effort to re-enter the market and try to catch up to other global rivals that had zoomed past the Auburn Hills automaker in Asian.

After establishing a joint venture with Guangzhou in 2010, the automaker finally began building the Jeep Cherokee in China in 2015 at a plant in the south central province of Hunan.

In April 2016, Fiat Chrysler began building the Jeep Renegade at a second plant in China, also through a joint venture with Guangzhou.

In May 2016, Hu Chunhua, a high-level member of the Chinese Communist Party, led a delegation visit to Fiat Chrysler's headquarters.

At the time, Fiat Chrysler said the visit reinforced the strong relationship with Hu's Guangdong province. Marchionne has also emphasized that, in addition to Jeep, there are two other brands that have great potential in China and globally: Maserati and Alfa Romeo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/08/14/fiat-chrysler-chinese-automaker/564033001/

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Don't know how I feel about this. Kinda bs in my opinion we bailed them out and they could eventually be owned by the Chinese which pisses me off. Sergio will ride off into the sunset soon anyway. I like the Hellcat, Demon, and Viper. But other than that no thanks. I'd take a Ford truck any day over a Ram. I do like the Wrangler but would prefer a Raptor or something else.

There quality is terrible from what I hear. Also what does Chrysler have now just the 300 and Pacifica? 200 is done. May as well just fizzle them out like they did Plymouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
Probably see an improvement in quality

I was gonna say this is the only way their product quality could get worse. But now I see you're right. They're already at the bottom of the barrel. Nowhere left to go but up.

EDIT: Inb4 the Dodge nuthuggers get triggered.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
tenor.gif

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
hell if they can get Foxconn to buy them the quality would probably surpass Lexus!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I hope the feds block any attempt to sell to the Chinese. I would rather see all of it besides Jeep just get shut down. If it is sold to the Chinese, they could come out with a 1k hp, 3000lb Mustang killer for 30k and I wouldn't be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread