Fastest Factory Mustang in 1/4

dav

Established Member
I have to think that it is the KR also. I raced a KR a while back and it was much faster than a gt500. I suspect the KR is very underated because I barly pulled on it in a 530 rwhp GTO that runs low 11s.

It is a bit underrated. I havent gotten mine to the track yet (soon, I hope), but my 09 kr put down 480 rwhp SAE corrected. std was 492

oilwell1415

Established Member
I'm not talking about structural safety, I'm talking about useless crap. Things like power windows, locks, and seats, huge stereos, leather, 20" wheels, emissions equipment, every computer (and related wiring) that doesn't control the engine, ABS, and I would even go so far as power steering and brakes. By the time you ditch all the other junk it should be easy enough to steer and stop.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I'm not talking about structural safety, I'm talking about useless crap. Things like power windows, locks, and seats, huge stereos, leather, 20" wheels, emissions equipment, every computer (and related wiring) that doesn't control the engine, ABS, and I would even go so far as power steering and brakes. By the time you ditch all the other junk it should be easy enough to steer and stop.

sounds like a Cobra R....

oilwell1415

Established Member
sounds like a Cobra R....

the 2000 cobra R still weighed 3590lbs:nonono:

Sounds like a Cobra R except that every ounce they saved on the R they threw away with an iron block. IMHO, the R would have been better off keeping an aluminum block at 4.6L, or even 5.4L, ditching PS and PB, and putting the battery in the trunk. That car should have weighed 3000 lbs, but they blew it. With modern materials and processes cars should be getting lighter, not heavier. I think it's funny that a luxury car from 20 years ago isn't as nice as what we consider entry level today. Our gadget addiction is coming back to haunt us.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I paid a lot less than that for mine and it had 9 miles on it. If I didnt get it for what I paid for it I would have waited for the '11

Smart man.

I'd rock a KR all day, but for $70k I'm in a Z06 with $ left.

dav

Established Member
Smart man.

I'd rock a KR all day, but for $70k I'm in a Z06 with $ left.

I hear ya on the zo6. I traded in my 06 c6 for the kr. I just missed the mustangs I've owned in the past. Buying an '08 or '09 z06 crossed my mind several times though, I have to admit.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my vette, but I'm just a mustang kind of guy, I guess. :rockon:

/hijack

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
With slicks I bet the 2011 GT500 will be an easy sub mid 11 second car....

The 2010 GT500 ran a 11.592@118mph with a 1.7 short time on sticky tires.

mmfp_0910_01_z+2010_shelby_gt500+front_angle.jpg

The 2011s are 120lbs lighter with most of the weight savings off the front of the car, a bit more HP, a more efficient intercooler, stiffer spring rates and improved sway bars.

Can't wait to see what they're capable of.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Sounds like a Cobra R except that every ounce they saved on the R they threw away with an iron block. IMHO, the R would have been better off keeping an aluminum block at 4.6L, or even 5.4L, ditching PS and PB, and putting the battery in the trunk. That car should have weighed 3000 lbs, but they blew it. With modern materials and processes cars should be getting lighter, not heavier. I think it's funny that a luxury car from 20 years ago isn't as nice as what we consider entry level today. Our gadget addiction is coming back to haunt us.
absolutely agree! IIRC, they even left the stereo wiring harness in the car as well, even though it didn't have speakers or a head unit.

oilwell1415

Established Member
That wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure it's just a regular Mustang harness, nothing special. It would have been a huge cost penalty to desing a new harness just for 300 cars. Most cars nowdays are wired for every option available even if not installed. Case in point: 99-01 Lightnings are wired for key pads in the door handles even though not factory equipped. All you have to do is buy the parts and plug them in and you've got keyless entry on the door handle.

snakeconvert98

Established Member
There is a dealership near me that has a GT500kr on the showroom floor which has been there sence 07 , i believe it is a 07 or 08 never been sold,, i have been told the sticker is around $78,000 ,,,, started out around $120,000 asking price and last report has it about $70,000,, awsome color,, silver with blue stripes,factory crome wheels, if only it were a convertable i would love to have it!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the high jack,,just though someone might want to know!

black 10th vert

Established Member
There is a dealership near me that has a GT500kr on the showroom floor which has been there sence 07 , i believe it is a 07 or 08 never been sold,, i have been told the sticker is around $78,000 ,,,, started out around $120,000 asking price and last report has it about $70,000,, awsome color,, silver with blue stripes,factory crome wheels, if only it were a convertable i would love to have it!!!!!!!!

There was a similar situation near me with a gorgeous black KR with the satin black stripe package. Would have traded my left nut for that one, but certainly not the $130k they were trying to get for it!:bash::nonono:

dav

Established Member

KR's were only made in 08 and 09. They'll never get 70k for it. Well I shouldn't say never, someone might pay that much if they dont see going price is 58-60 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread