Family SUV suggestions?

_Satch_

Established Member
Anyone here driven a Lincoln Aviator?
While I’d personally pick an Explorer ST, planing an explorer Limited vs the basic Aviator.
We did an extended test drive and were impressed.
-J
My wife ordered a Lincoln Aviator in early 2020. Loaded it up with all the bells and whistles (Reserve), but not a Black Label. Heated and Massage seats, 2nd row captains chairs and the exterior lighting package along with the lowering suspension for getting in and out of it. She absolutely LOVES it, even after 2 years of ownership, she still enjoys driving it. She normally would only keep a car 3 years before trading them because she was bored with them and the mileage. She was a BMW/Mercedes Benz snob before she bought this Lincoln.
-Satch

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My vote would be the Explorer ST or a Traverse.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee’s are small and I hated the one I had as a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
The Traverse doesn't really do anything other than be cheap base price.

Performance wise it's probably similar to the Telluride, Palisade or Highlander, which I would choose any of those 3 over it.

My vote is to buy from Nick, if you don't want to go Ford, I would look at the reliability/resale game and go Highlander. They might be boring but at least you don't have to worry about anything.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
We had an explorer sport and loved it. I can only imagine the st to be even better. Ive seen quite a few in my area lately. They have all the necessary creature comforts too. We ended up on a snow covered fire road in the mountains and i was blown away how well it did, on 20” street tires. The awd and traction control worked amazingly.

We have a wrangler. Its not great for family hauling. Adults in the back seat dont have much room or comfort. A lot of people go from suv to wrangler and are seriously disappointed with the way it drives. You also get way less features for your money. If anything, rent one for a week or so first to make sure.

Tahoe is great for adult family hauling. Not as quick but nice V8. We had a suburban which was great for hauling junk but just too big for daily driving/parking.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Four door Jeep: not enough room if you have tall friends or family.

Bronco: no clue

Explorer: Enough room if you don't plan to use the 3rd row seat.

We went through this when we had our 2nd child. I'm 6'4" and need the leg room. We looked at Jeeps, no leg room whatsoever, Honda pilot, same thing in the front passenger seat. We looked at other options. When it came down to the most room driver and passenger, the Edge Sport won for us. I know it's not on your list, but honestly, I doubt that 3rd row option will be of much use. I say this knowing that the Explorer ST will probably be our next vehicle only because they're going to discontinue the Edge, which sucks!

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm surprised that no one suggested the Genesis GV-70 3.5T. I've had mine for over a year now and love it. Build quality is excellent. Performance is excellent with an approx. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Features and ease of use is excellent. Sporty looks. The 3.5T makes 375hp and 391tq. Mine is in my signature, but here are a few more of a 2023 3.5T.

FTM_MY22_T1-Genesis-GV70_lifestyle_1920x1080_KBB_7.jpg

2022_Genesis_GV70_Sport_Prestige_49.jpg

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I'm surprised that no one suggested the Genesis GV-70 3.5T. I've had mine for over a year now and love it. Build quality is excellent. Performance is excellent with an approx. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Features and ease of use is excellent. Sporty looks. The 3.5T makes 375hp and 391tq. Mine is in my signature, but here are a few more of a 2023 3.5T.

FTM_MY22_T1-Genesis-GV70_lifestyle_1920x1080_KBB_7.jpg

2022_Genesis_GV70_Sport_Prestige_49.jpg
As much as I love Genesis, I still think their dealerships (customer service) need work, still have mark up's in today's time and very few dealers in general. At least that's what I experienced here in LA.

Another vote for 2020+ Explorer. Came from a 2018 Explorer Sport and have nothing but pro's over the previous gen. Just a better vehicle inside and out.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I did a bit of sniffing around the Hyundai (Palisade) and Kia (Telluride) models. Some serious bang for the buck for sure (we have an 11 Sonata Turbo, been a trouble free car). Only 20 hp more than our sonata, and weighs probably 1000# more. Not that it will be a slug, but I suspect "peppy" won't fit the bill either. Haven't even asked the wife how she likes the look of them, as that is the final factor.

I think the Jeep has been ruled out due to the lack of room.

Ians_cobra

Established Member
The rear end of the Genesis GV-70 3.5T reminds my a Porsche 968, Cayenne and Mercedes GLC all at the same time. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds is pretty impressive!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As much as I love Genesis, I still think their dealerships (customer service) need work, still have mark up's in today's time and very few dealers in general. At least that's what I experienced here in LA.

Another vote for 2020+ Explorer. Came from a 2018 Explorer Sport and have nothing but pro's over the previous gen. Just a better vehicle inside and out.
That may be true in some areas, but the Genesis quality is exceptional and in 1 1/2 years of ownership, I've been to the dealer twice...for oil/filter changes. I'd rather have fewer dealerships than having a vehicle that requires too many visits to fix quality/mechanical issues. Which is a reason why I chose Genesis to begin with. My first Genesis (a 2019) only saw the dealership for oil changes as well, except for fixing a Brembo brake vibration issue.

decipha

Established Member
My wifes 2012 explorer has 280k miles and never a repair. The only thing Ive done to it was brakes, tires, a bi-annual oil change and new wipers and air filter every 50k miles. At 230k miles I changed the battery, belt , belt tensioner, spark plugs, cabin air filter, head lights, fog lights and the harmonic balancer for good measure. I also had to replace the driver side a pillar cover as it had cracked up. At 250k miles I had to replace the alternator and at 260k miles I had to change the steering rack bushings. It been a very SOLID vehicle. And might I add its had a race tune on it since day 1 and daily gets beat on and driven hard.

Since the day it was driven off the show room its had less than $1k put in it and I wouldnt hesitate to drive it anywhere right now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The rear end of the Genesis GV-70 3.5T reminds my a Porsche 968, Cayenne and Mercedes GLC all at the same time. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds is pretty impressive!
I do get comments from folks on the street that it has a Porsche Cayenne look at the rear. Can't complain about that. LOL.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Without reading through the whole thread, I’ll toss out the ‘23 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum. Won’t have a lot of zip, but it’ll get killer mpg and I think looks pretty easy on the eye.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
In that list I'd definitely look at Explorers, two of my sisters have had them (non-ST) for over 8 years with no major issues.

My wife has a '22 Sorento XS-P AWD with the 2.5 turbo and 8 spd DCT, awesome driving SUV/Crossover with great power and mpg. Looks great too with the X-line Nightfall Edition packages. We originally went to look at Tellurides (1 kid now and soon to be another through adoption) due to the interior space but the Sorento felt huge inside and $10k cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread