faceplated T56 is finally shifting correctly

TonyG2

Established Member
I've been fighting some issues with my faceplated T56 (actually, just 3rd and 4th are faceplated), and it seems that they are finally resolved. Here is an in-car video of my first pass at Cecil yesterday. Notice how clunky the 1/2 (synchroed) shift was, compared to 2/3 and 3/4 (faceplated).

Blown 2v Mustang on the dragstrip w/ faceplated T56, - YouTube

Before, I would either be locked out of 4th, or get a big grind/clunk. So this is a big improvement, even though I didn't beat my best time when the tranny was synchroed.

Next step is a rebuildable LSD that will handle the abuse better than the 31 spl Ford Trac loc I'm using now (and constantly rebuilding). I think I'll hate driving my car with a detroit locker or a spool, so I want to stay with an LSD. Any recommendations?

Notice also, the guy at 0:38 passing me like I was standing still. He had some problems off the launch (1.55 60')...but still finished the 1/4 at 9.3 @ 155, amazing!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'll bet that many would love to hit third like that. LOL.

Glad you're happy with the results. Nice video, and yeah, that guy screamed by like you stopped. 9.3 @ 155 is moving out!

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Trans looks very efficient or you have a hell of a driver mod.... Probably both!

Ah yes.... Cecil County Dragway. Spent many a Friday night there back in the 90's when I was a teenager. Atco was closer to us in Philly but Cecil County was just the spot when you wanted a time associated with the 1/4 mile. If not Holstein or 61st street would do just fine Thursday thru Sunday!

SV

TonyG2

Established Member
Detroit tru-trac

I'm considering it, but I'm not convinced that its much stronger than a well-built tracloc. I like the idea of the detroit electrac, that converts to a full spool at the push of a button, but it doesn't seem to be popular in the drag racing community. I found one guy who tried it, but had problems with it and eventually switched to a locker

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You ran that time with the T-trim? Holy shit if that's the case.. Either way the car is flying man, and shifting great!!

Sorry I thought I read you went 9.5 with the T-trim lol. I read the details and you are still hauling ass with the T-trim@ 23psi!! Spin that shit lol

Last edited:

TonyG2

Established Member
Ah yes.... Cecil County Dragway. Spent many a Friday night there back in the 90's when I was a teenager. Atco was closer to us in Philly but Cecil County was just the spot when you wanted a time associated with the 1/4 mile. If not Holstein or 61st street would do just fine Thursday thru Sunday!
SV

I moved to MD from Philly ten years ago. When I lived there, I also preferred CC over Atco or Maple Grove. But I preferred Sat mornings -much quieter, shorter lines, and an older crowd. Don't know where Holstein/61st is, I grew up in West Philly.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Detroit tru-trac

+1000

I'm considering it, but I'm not convinced that its much stronger than a well-built tracloc. I like the idea of the detroit electrac, that converts to a full spool at the push of a button, but it doesn't seem to be popular in the drag racing community. I found one guy who tried it, but had problems with it and eventually switched to a locker

It doesn't need to be rebuilt isn't that what you're looking for? Before I bought mine I researched and found 1k hp drag cars abusing the hell out of them without issue. The 1 guy you found probably screwed up the install, mine's flawless.

cyclegrip

Established Member
I've got about 1000 miles on a Yukon duragrip and it's been pretty good so far, lays 11s all around town lol
I've got a 3.4whipple and it's in a solid rear if that helps

TonyG2

Established Member
It doesn't need to be rebuilt isn't that what you're looking for? Before I bought mine I researched and found 1k hp drag cars abusing the hell out of them without issue. The 1 guy you found probably screwed up the install, mine's flawless.

Thanks, most of the discussions I find about the electrac are regarding off-roading. I don't understand why more people who are into drag racing (and have street cars) don't use them -especially if they can handle the power like you say. Seems like a perfect solution for having the best of both worlds.

NMB2

Established Member
I think you might be confused tony.... I didn't say the Electrac, I said the tru-trac which is an eaton torsen style limited slip unit. I would never consider a trash lock (trac lock) in a car like yours. You can rebuild it and pack the clutches tight enough to almost turn it into a spool, but it will always eventually wear out and suck...they are a waste of time.

If you are looking for a selectable locker, the only unit I would consider is an ARB.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Another option that most people don't know about is DPI differentials.. They make some beefy unit for sure!!

TonyG2

Established Member
I think you might be confused tony.... I didn't say the Electrac, I said the tru-trac which is an eaton torsen style limited slip unit. I would never consider a trash lock (trac lock) in a car like yours. You can rebuild it and pack the clutches tight enough to almost turn it into a spool, but it will always eventually wear out and suck...they are a waste of time.

If you are looking for a selectable locker, the only unit I would consider is an ARB.

I think Tractionless1 was confused, but it doesn't matter. I'm actually leaning towards the Tru-trac this point. Eaton is giving $50 discounts on them until 30June, so I may go for it. I just hope that it'll handle being hit with 6k clutch dumps on slicks.

But I still wish I can find a suitable diff that can be both limited slip (or open) and a locker. I haven't found anyone who had good experience with them on the dragstrip. With the Tru-Trac, I'm seeing mixed reviews. I've been looking at Torsen T2r and Wavetrac as well. I just don't want to spend nearly $1k, and be back in the same boat after 1 or 2 seasons. I can get that type of endurance from a tracloc.

NMB2

Established Member
I think Tractionless1 was confused, but it doesn't matter. I'm actually leaning towards the Tru-trac this point. Eaton is giving $50 discounts on them until 30June, so I may go for it. I just hope that it'll handle being hit with 6k clutch dumps on slicks.

But I still wish I can find a suitable diff that can be both limited slip (or open) and a locker. I haven't found anyone who had good experience with them on the dragstrip. With the Tru-Trac, I'm seeing mixed reviews. I've been looking at Torsen T2r and Wavetrac as well. I just don't want to spend nearly $1k, and be back in the same boat after 1 or 2 seasons. I can get that type of endurance from a tracloc.

If you are ok with having it open when its not locked just buy an ARB and be done.

TonyG2

Established Member
I'm considering it....and something called an Ox locker, which is cable activated (no air compressor). At least an open diff will handle better than a detroit locker or a spool.

Users who are viewing this thread