F1A 8-rib Build Thread

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
so you enjoy the f1a more than the TT kit? Life is difficult sometimes...well only my car makes decisions hard

Enjoy? HMMMMMMMMM ...I think I enjoyed the TT kit more when it ran right (rarely). I did like doing the lame BOV popping (for my own enjoyment). Also, the look on turbo'd imports after they pop their BOV and hear mine shortly after is pretty priceless.

So goin into the intercooler?

Basically. It sits near the ABS module in front of the A/C compressor.

03GTGreen

Established Member
Ok so from what I understand, you have a vacuum line goin from the bpv to the intake. Where im lost is, is that the only line you have goin from the bpv cause I was under the impression it had to get routed back to the inlet tube, and at first it looked like you had the radiator coolant hose goin into it, but after further evaluation it looks like theres nothing goin into it?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Ok so from what I understand, you have a vacuum line goin from the bpv to the intake. Where im lost is, is that the only line you have goin from the bpv cause I was under the impression it had to get routed back to the inlet tube, and at first it looked like you had the radiator coolant hose goin into it, but after further evaluation it looks like theres nothing goin into it?

There is nothing going from the BPV to the intake tube. Procharger Race BPV's come in two types: open or closed. I do have the closed version (just a snout on the BPV capable of clamping a hose to it), but I am running it in the open configuration for a while. I love the street-sweeper sound after I finish a pull, but I may get tired of it so I wanted the option to run it "closed" (recirculated to the intake tube).

03GTGreen

Established Member
There is nothing going from the BPV to the intake tube. Procharger Race BPV's come in two types: open or closed. I do have the closed version (just a snout on the BPV capable of clamping a hose to it), but I am running it in the open configuration for a while. I love the street-sweeper sound after I finish a pull, but I may get tired of it so I wanted the option to run it "closed" (recirculated to the intake tube).

After reading up on it I understand now, none the less very very cool build and sick car!

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Well, rather than replace the belt (forgot that the blower idler prevents an easy swap; I do not feel like removing that right now), I looked at my tensioner and this is what I found.

IMG_3264-1.JPG

So I am thinking, wow, that could be my noise right there. The black line is where the belt was rubbing (before or after the 8-rib swap I don't know). The shaved aluminum is from the pulley to the left of the tensioner. I filed it down to leave just enough lip to prevent belt-walk and cranked her back up. The noise is STILL there. Now I am suspecting a bearing in the tensioner because the noise is coming from that area and it was bouncing up and down more than I suspected. I'll hopefully have it installed tomorrow night or Sunday night. :bored:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Installed a new tensioner, re-filed down that "stop" Procharger tells you to do, and also cut some of the belt guard off to prevent it from hitting lower pulley (above the a/c pulley).

NO SQUEEL! It looks like it was the spring in the tensioner causing it. The tensioner no longer bounces like before, its solid in one place. We'll see how it does after some driving.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
moar race video

I'm working on it. :banana: *HINT* ...'03 Cobra powered FFR Cobra!

...oh and the belt squeel is back. I really think its the tensioner making the noise. I can't think of anything else to do right now, so I'm going to live with it.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
im buying that gnarly belt tensoiner thats for sale in the market, also there is a guy selling a nasty f1a mach here...its 8 rib also and he said he used stock tensoiners

EVO-lution

Established Member
I'm working on it. :banana: *HINT* ...'03 Cobra powered FFR Cobra!

...oh and the belt squeel is back. I really think its the tensioner making the noise. I can't think of anything else to do right now, so I'm going to live with it.

Stupid squeals...always have to suck the fun out of everything. If it's not one thing it's gotta be the small stupid annoyances eh? Nonetheless your car still prevails as a bad ass car:thumbsup:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
im buying that gnarly belt tensoiner thats for sale in the market, also there is a guy selling a nasty f1a mach here...its 8 rib also and he said he used stock tensoiners

By gnarly tensioner, do you mean the billet three bolt one? If so, it won't work on the Mach's. Ours are only a single bolt. ...........buuut, if you are buying an aftermarket single-bolt, I'd like to know the brand! :beer:

Furinox

Established Member
That tensioner will not work with Mach 1's.

GOOD! :rockon: Get that thing slapped on there so there can be FOUR F1A Mach's that I know of.

yea, sucks. I already had to replace my tensioner once. It wore out so bad I could push the tensioner by hand back against my belt.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
moar boost with moar video NAO!

It has been a busy couple months with no time whatsoever to drive the car, let alone film it. On Sunday I had some time to take it out for some quick WOT runs on an empty side road near my house. It's a short length of road so I could never do any pulls in 4th. After my dad recovers from surgery, I hope to get some runs against him on film ('03 Cobra powered A/C Cobra) and a grudge match with a buddy at work (383 Stroked El Camino ...possibly spraying).

*DISCLAIMER* If you cannot hear high pitched noises, check your volume to be kind to others around you. The beginning is ...loud. :rockon: :lol:

Click HQ for better quality.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT743htddgE"]YouTube - WOT Runs[/ame]

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
It has been a busy couple months with no time whatsoever to drive the car, let alone film it. On Sunday I had some time to take it out for some quick WOT runs on an empty side road near my house. It's a short length of road so I could never do any pulls in 4th. After my dad recovers from surgery, I hope to get some runs against him on film ('03 Cobra powered A/C Cobra) and a grudge match with a buddy at work (383 Stroked El Camino ...possibly spraying).

*DISCLAIMER* If you cannot hear high pitched noises, check your volume to be kind to others around you. The beginning is ...loud. :rockon: :lol:

Click HQ for better quality.
YouTube - WOT Runs

Sweet video man! I hope we can get together one of these days and do a photoshoot and makes some videos! lol

Your video scares me tho! I saw your boost gauge hit about 16psi with that 4.15 pulley....I'm scared what my 3.9 will do :burnout:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Sweet video man! I hope we can get together one of these days and do a photoshoot and makes some videos! lol

Your video scares me tho! I saw your boost gauge hit about 16psi with that 4.15 pulley....I'm scared what my 3.9 will do :burnout:

No doubt. I was suprised to see that. I was pretty close to redline on that run I believe. Maybe 6400rpm?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
Nice setup! I posted in another thread pertaining to the BGG 8-rib setup. I just ordered the setup from Dave for my 01 Cobra running a P1SC with power pipe. I'm really concered now with the temp sensor clearance. Dave said everything should work fine but it doesn't appear that way. I really wish there was more info on the 8-rib install you did cause some other Cobra guys are talking about power steering pulley pulley's and I'm like WTF are you talking about cause I just bought this thing, lol. Beggars can't be choosers but with my slow brain and low tolerance for problems I'm not sure how this will turn out. Dave said to buy a pulley puller tool but I'm still like WTF. Any tips???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread