F1A 8-rib Build Thread

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
yea probably.. i doubt my pulleys are aligned properly lol.. should probably get that checked out

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Probably the last update for a while. It has been close to a month since the chirp-fix. So far, I have put 500mi. on it and there is no evidence of chirp. Everything is running great. I even did a WOT run to about 120mph today and all is well. :rockon:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
$3400 new. Yes it will fit on the same bracket as the P1SC.

Speaking of the bracket, have you noticed any bracket flex? I saw a few of the pics you posted of the bracket, and it looks the same as mine with the small studs coming from the head.

Just to double check, how many studs does your bracket have? 3 or 4? Mine only has 3, but in your pics, it looks like there's an extra one there, but I could be mistaken.

Have you noticed any bracket flex issues with the 8 rib setup? Is there less flex than with the 6 rib setup?

I still have really bad bracket flex, even with a "blower brace" made by the now defunct "Morpheus Performance" that connects the top of the bracket to the alternator bracket. Actually, the bracket does more harm than good, because when I get on it, the blower flexes, and the "brace" then holds it in the flexed position, throwing belts!

I wonder if there is anything we can do to improve the rigidity of the P1/D1/F1 4V bracket without having to upgrade to the cog setup. Maybe drill extra studs? Upgrade the studs to beefier grade 8? Bigger bolts (I always worry about stripping the nuts).

How do you deal with it? Ever thrown an 8 rib belt yet? I'll bet those are expensive to replace!

Beautiful work, by the way!

Homer

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Speaking of the bracket, have you noticed any bracket flex? I saw a few of the pics you posted of the bracket, and it looks the same as mine with the small studs coming from the head.

Just to double check, how many studs does your bracket have? 3 or 4? Mine only has 3, but in your pics, it looks like there's an extra one there, but I could be mistaken.

Have you noticed any bracket flex issues with the 8 rib setup? Is there less flex than with the 6 rib setup?

I still have really bad bracket flex, even with a "blower brace" made by the now defunct "Morpheus Performance" that connects the top of the bracket to the alternator bracket. Actually, the bracket does more harm than good, because when I get on it, the blower flexes, and the "brace" then holds it in the flexed position, throwing belts!

I wonder if there is anything we can do to improve the rigidity of the P1/D1/F1 4V bracket without having to upgrade to the cog setup. Maybe drill extra studs? Upgrade the studs to beefier grade 8? Bigger bolts (I always worry about stripping the nuts).

How do you deal with it? Ever thrown an 8 rib belt yet? I'll bet those are expensive to replace!

Beautiful work, by the way!

Homer

Thanks man!

My bracket has 3 studs/nuts holding it to the timing cover. I have not thrown a single belt since owning a procharger, 6rib or 8rib. I don't know if I am just lucky, but I seem to have gotten it perfectly lined up. I have a Thumper RRR belt tensioner and it kind of bolts against the bracket that adds a little support and helps a lot more than the stocker with belt tension.

8 rib belt cost me about 50 bucks.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Thanks man!

My bracket has 3 studs/nuts holding it to the timing cover. I have not thrown a single belt since owning a procharger, 6rib or 8rib. I don't know if I am just lucky, but I seem to have gotten it perfectly lined up. I have a Thumper RRR belt tensioner and it kind of bolts against the bracket that adds a little support and helps a lot more than the stocker with belt tension.

8 rib belt cost me about 50 bucks.

+1 to what he said. I have no idea if mine flexes; I am only running 15psi :lol:. I haven't thrown any belts though, nor have I shredded any. There is no need to smoke the nuts that hold the bracket onto the studs. I use two nuts and a lock washer for added protection. I would LOVE to upgrade to the HOB setup.

Built4.6

Built
Established Member
SOS: first off, sick F1 project, car is wicked.

i see you have the bassani mid lengths. Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it? And how good is the performance and sound of these headers?

Thanks

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
SOS: first off, sick F1 project, car is wicked.

i see you have the bassani mid lengths. Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it? And how good is the performance and sound of these headers?

Thanks

Thanks man. I don't have the mid-lengths anymore, but they were a PITA to install with a tubular K-member (with minimal tools and no ability to drop the K-member). The sound is good, but I have since switched over to Magnaflow catback, Mac prochamber and Mac LT's. :beer: Better sound IMO.

dark-knight

Established Member
awesome car man...just went through the 13 pages and seems like it had its up's and down's, but def worth it. congrats

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
any thoughts on upgrading to a smaller pulley yet? so torn between this and turbos! my p1 just doesnt do it anymore.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
any thoughts on upgrading to a smaller pulley yet?

I ate my words ...sort of. I am installing a Procharger 4.0" pulley to gain a couple psi. I have two more theories about my chirping issue.

The RR pulley is eating the belt and producing more powder than normal. This powder is heating up and causing the chirp as it runs across various idlers (far fetched, but I'm down to my last straw).

The other theory is the idler directly above the tensioner. The belt was half on the idler and half off. I am going to space the idler out more so there isn't a sideload on the bearing.

:rollseyes

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Fixed it. Had to grind an 1/8" into the alternator housing and take some more meat off the valve cover to space the blower IN instead of out. The problem all along was the blower pulley placement ...hard to see unless you are staring down on top of the belt wrap. ...this saga is over.

Users who are viewing this thread