F-body rear end question

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hey all, wrong forum for GM questions but i know some of you guys have messed around with F-bodies before. I have a buddy who bought a 4th Gen TA last summer and the rear end had some whine going on. He's drove it thru the summer and fall and now says the differential is about to take a shit.

I always knew the GM 7.5" (actually 7.625") 10 bolt was a pile of junk. For a cam/intake/exhaust car, what's the best replacement diff and/or axle for it? He does not have the capability to setup a ring and pinion, and I've only participated in such an installation 14 years ago with my Cobra, so any replacement differential would probably need to be installed by a shop knowledgeable in driveline installations which there are fewer and fewer of those every year (or so it seems).

Seeing some talk about a Ford 9" but haven't looked into the cost or the difficulty. Some 10 bolts have an 8.2" ring and pinion but they are harder to find. Apparently 12 bolts are even harder to find.

Anyway, would appreciate any suggestions or even any links to similar threads on F-body forums if anyone frequents those.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Maybe see if a Ford 8.8" will fit? If you could find a leaf spring version out of a Ranger, Explorer, etc. it could be modified with the brackets, etc. you need. Might be an issue with width, but even that could be taken care of. Still cheaper than most 9" options.

robvas

Established Member
Don't forget about the Aussie 9 bolt that came in some of the third gens

Hawks sells an 8.8 conversion kit not sure if it's cheaper than 12 bolt (or more available...probably a million 8.8's out there)

blackfang

Established Member
A 12 bolt will work fine for him. If he really is planning on upgrading the engine to include a power adder, a 9 inch is best.

Users who are viewing this thread